2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition location

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/04, 11:11 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as long as Ford was going retro, I wish they had put the ignition switch on the front, like the old mustangs had it. heck, even my wife's Altima has it that way. Just alot cooler IMO and easier to use. But nobody else seems to have mentioned this so maybe I am in a large minority on this.
Old 10/1/04, 11:32 AM

You're not alone. i like the ignition on the dash as well. I have an old chevy... can you say that here...? that has it on the dash really cool. Would have been nice if they did it.
Old 10/1/04, 11:59 AM
GT Member

Is there a difference with security with ignition location by the gear shifter as opposed to dash or steering column?
Old 10/1/04, 12:06 PM
Cobra Member

There's not really anywhere they could have mounted a dash ignition setup. I think having it on the column makes the dash look nicer. Not only that, anybody who's ever owned a modern car with dash-mounted ignition knows that a keychain with keys on it will rub a nasty mark on the dash where the keys hang down.
Old 10/1/04, 12:11 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

On the dash is a pain- IF you have decorations on your keychain- General Maintenances like mine have it.
Otherwise, its okay.You get used to it & I keep catching myself trying to stick the bronco key in the dash though on the one or so occasions a year I drive it.
Old 10/1/04, 05:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally posted by Dr Iven@October 1, 2004, 12:09 PM
There's not really anywhere they could have mounted a dash ignition setup. I think having it on the column makes the dash look nicer. Not only that, anybody who's ever owned a modern car with dash-mounted ignition knows that a keychain with keys on it will rub a nasty mark on the dash where the keys hang down.
Take one
[cue music]
[Mikey bursts in]
Nooobody expects the Keychain Inquisition! The two things on my car's keychain is the ignition key and the trunk key. And the alarm fob. Bugger!

Take two
[cue music]
[Mikey bursts in]
Nooobody expects the Keychain Inquisition! The three things on my car's keychain is the ignition key, trunk key, and the alarm fob. And the ring. Gaaahhhh!

Allright, that's just too silly. Show the next sketch please.

I have a very minimal car key chain, for that reason.

I have four keychains, one for car, one for work, one for my home, and one for my other home I'm trying to get rid of. Make my pockets bulky, but it helps sometimes to have them that way.

I sometimes wonder if it's the heavy multiple key and trinket sets that cause those Ford ignition cylinders to wear out...

[i]And now for something completely different. A man with three buttocks.[i]

/me likes Monty Python. Can ya tell?
Old 10/1/04, 05:49 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah, my Mustang key is separate from my other key chain for just that reason. And I don't care about having bulky pockets.
Old 10/1/04, 06:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
bang, clank, clank, clank, clank........ Personally I think keys in the column are cool. Keychains reflect sunlight and scratch the dash up when in the dashboard. Thats why we EVOLVED away from it. Most of the larger newer Ford trucks with large columns have large rubber padded areas under the key to keep them from banging. Its just a cheap gimick like pushbuton starters.