2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ideas needed

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/14, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ideas needed

so here is the story. I bought a 2006 gt with mods already done. one of which is an airaid cai that needs a tune, so I know the car is tuned. I don't have a tuner as it didn't come with it. In order to get a new tuner, I have to have the car flashed back to stock. Once they do that, it probably will not run with current cai as it is the one that needs a tune. I don't have the stock one to put back on either, plus if I did that, I couldn't drive it to dealer to have it flashed. My thoughts are to buy a stock cai and put it on in dealer parking lot before flash(anyone have one for sale cheap?)..or possibly have tuner ready to tune after flash. Don't no if that will work though because car will not be right to set stock tune. Sorry for the long post. I am open to any and all suggestions, and right now the car is runnung fine, just not sure what tune it has so I pretty much have to run premium gas until I get this handled.....now I know why you should not buy a used car that has been modded. Lesson learned

thanks in advance for any suggestions
Old 2/23/14, 09:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by colodan66
so here is the story. I bought a 2006 gt with mods already done. one of which is an airaid cai that needs a tune, so I know the car is tuned. I don't have a tuner as it didn't come with it. In order to get a new tuner, I have to have the car flashed back to stock. Once they do that, it probably will not run with current cai as it is the one that needs a tune. I don't have the stock one to put back on either, plus if I did that, I couldn't drive it to dealer to have it flashed. My thoughts are to buy a stock cai and put it on in dealer parking lot before flash(anyone have one for sale cheap?)..or possibly have tuner ready to tune after flash. Don't no if that will work though because car will not be right to set stock tune. Sorry for the long post. I am open to any and all suggestions, and right now the car is runnung fine, just not sure what tune it has so I pretty much have to run premium gas until I get this handled.....now I know why you should not buy a used car that has been modded. Lesson learned

thanks in advance for any suggestions
If I recall correctly..... The Airaid intake did not require a tune....
Old 2/23/14, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by pebkac
If I recall correctly..... The Airaid intake did not require a tune....
for no tune it requires a smaller pipe that slides in to bigger pipe to restrict air flow. I was hoping mine had this, but it doesn't. I confirmed with AM and they said mine was a racing cai and does require a tune. Asked if they just sold the adapter (for lack of better term) but they do not. If I could find one of those that are not being used, that is another option I could do.
Old 2/25/14, 05:56 PM

so I'm getting conflicting info about the tuners. Was told by a couple people that a flash back to stock is necessary. Also told that the sct tuner would just consider the present tune as stock and I can go from there, which really would work for me because I have no warranty to worry about, and present tune passes emissions test. Plus I don't have to go through the trouble of buying a stock air intake and swapping it out... I do realize that going to stock would be best, but I can't see if it has any real benefits. Does anyone have an sct tuner that can confirm if it will just use current tune as stock. also, how often if ever are you having to go back to stock?
Old 2/25/14, 08:43 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by colodan66
My thoughts are to buy a stock cai and put it on in dealer parking lot before flash(anyone have one for sale cheap?)..
Wrecking yard. Local or online.

Or start a thread here for WTBuy... pretty much everyone here who has a CAI has a stock setup laying around.

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/25/14 at 08:44 PM.
Old 2/28/14, 04:52 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Wrecking yard. Local or online.

Or start a thread here for WTBuy... pretty much everyone here who has a CAI has a stock setup laying around.
+1
I bought a stocker off someone in here- think it was like 25 bucks shipped- to cut up for my shaker ductwork...