Search this Thread

Old 3/18/05 | 03:42 PM
FR500 Member

Oh my god not another Libra......RUN!

My wife is a Libra
Old 3/18/05 | 03:42 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@March 18, 2005, 6:33 PM
This is way off topic, but requiring your kid to help pay for college is beyond a simple lesson in responsibility. IMO

My kids (one is 16... no chance of college.. sigh) know that if they want things that have to prove themselves. However, if they are bringing home the grades, I have ZERO problem footing the whole college bill. Why? Simply because going to college is not just about getting an education, and learning what the big world around them is about, its about being 18 (or 19 or 20, etc) and they are only going to have the chance to experience it once. I dont want to stop them from enjoying those years, by making them pay for part of thier college bills. Keeping grades I think is a good enough lesson in earning things. I wont be handing them brand new $30,000 cars either, but, I have no problem buying thier first car.

I just have never been an all or nothing kind of person. I am such a LIBRA, I have to find the perfect balance between everything. Meaning, I love to find compromises.
Different strokes for different folks (as they say).

I don't think experiencing the wondrous (sometimes disasterous) teen years, going to school, buying a car and asking the teen to "have skin in the game" for all of it is mutually exclusive. I think you can do all of those things and come out enjoying your teen years quite a bit.

At the end (graduation) you'll have much more self confidence and experience that I believe will put you ahead of your peers if you are held accountable for most of it. People only achieve what they are challenged with achieving. We all only rise to the level we've been challenged to overcome. Set the bar high enough, and you'll find out in short order if you are up to the task of reaching the bar or going over it.

BTW....if all you require is that your child gets good grades, then they are missing out on those challenges and a good portion of their "life" education.
Old 3/18/05 | 03:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 05stanglover@March 17, 2005, 6:43 PM
DUDE seriously why go thorugh all this crap about "can you afford it," "your spoiled" lets just put it this way, i can get one. Know would it be a good car for me? thankyou :bang:

How would anyone who doesn't know you know if the car would be good for you???
Old 3/18/05 | 04:01 PM

graphic guy....thanks...we're all doing our best! I too had to live at home, when I went to college, make the grades, buy my own stuff, work, etc. and yes I learned invaluable lessons and am so grateful to my parents! My husband went off to college, given what he needed, car bought for him....and he is successful, very appreciative of things....actually immaterialistic in many aspects. We're kinda doing things inbetween the two...fortunately my kids have never been in trouble, they both work hard, never scared to work hard, both in school and jobs....and spoiled! But do not mistreat anything given to them and are appreciative....and I continue to pray each day I'm doing the right thing!!!!! Good luck to your boy! I was "poor" too in college....he will do great!
Old 3/18/05 | 04:03 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Well Dan, we are going to have to agree to disagree... Because I appreciate everything I earn in life, and I was not required to hold a full time job and go to school full time. As long as I brought home good grades, and showed myself responsible with whatever I was given, I was allowed many more rewards.

To me its a simple equation: Full time student no job=more time to focus on grades, and growing up. Full time student with full time job: Tired stressed student not performing thier fullest potential either at work, or school. Thats not to say they cant do it, and cant bring home A's, I am sure your kids do. But, do you know the statistics of working college students with depression, ulcers, etc?

Do you not get rewarded at work for putting all your focus and time into your job? I do, I get bonuses, raises, and promotions. For college students, its my belief thier job is school.

BTW - I grew up very poor. My parents had to sacrifice a lot to give me what I needed, and then later what I wanted. I swore that I would never disrespect anything I had because of how they gave everything for thier kids. I also made sure to do what it took to be successful to pay them back. It is possible to learn appareciation without doing it in the School of Hard Knocks. My husband grew up EXTREMELY wealthy, had everything handed to him, yet, is so strict with my kids. His father was able to instill fantastic work ethics without making them work.
Old 3/18/05 | 04:14 PM

Hey y'all....I think we ran away the 15yo!!!!!
Old 3/18/05 | 04:27 PM
GT Member

16 years olds crash cars. Crashed cars destroy lives. It isn't because they can't drive. It is because they do not have the experience of what happens when things go wrong. Things will go wrong. Be careful.
Old 3/18/05 | 04:29 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by TexasMom05@March 18, 2005, 7:17 PM
Hey y'all....I think we ran away the 15yo!!!!!
LOL! You're probably right.

Jessica...Texas....not meant to start a debate. Believe me, I would never do, say or steer my son anywhere but towards a safe, happy and loving lifetime....whether that lifetime is being experienced now, or hopefully, well into the future.

I was poor growing up. I didn't have enough money to even afford to pay attention But, I don't remember those years as being trying. What I remember most fondly are the things that had little to nothing to do with money or material goods.

Did I want something as nice as a Mustang during my teen years? heck, yes! But, that's not what would have made my fond memories (making out with my teen g/f in the back seat of the beater I purchased myself is one of those fond memories, btw).

Maybe because I learned so much by paying for everything (including college) is the reason I'm vehement about it as a life lesson. Plus, my son has grown up "motherless" (yes, she's alive, but doesn't care). I don't want to overcompensate.

The neighbors who lives right next door to me bought their daughter a new BMW 3 Series upon high school graduation. She never worked......ever. They just threw her a wedding costing nearly $75,000 this past summer. She came running home last month stating that her husband didn't give her the life style she was used to and wanted to divorce him. I use that as another guage.

Good luck to you both. I wish you and your families success throughout life.
Old 3/18/05 | 04:30 PM
I'm people, and I like.

I guess I can say that I am VERY lucky that the gov't pays for my education... not one penny comes out of my, or my parents, pockets. But I have to keep my grades at a very high level to keep getting grants that cover all of my tuition. I take 16-18 units a semester, I Plan to graduate with both a bachelors and a teaching credential in a total of 5 years (most students take 6+ ). I live with my parents (HIGHLY appreciative), and I am currently unemployed (it is a very difficult task to work, take 18 units a semester, and still have time to do those extra hours of volunteer work in schools that is required in many courses, and to student teaching along with 2 other courses at the same time).
Got my first car when I was 18 and was officially accepted by a University. A beautiful 1992 Nissan Maxima, that cost my dad 4K... I didnt care what car I had at that time, as long as i had a ride to get me to school. When the transmission on the Maxima busted, and knew I was gonna have to save up some money to fix it, I bought a 400 dollar Sentra as a "loner." Worked at my dad's printing employment as a Print Machine "Buffer" (Cleaned, prepared, put paint, fixed paper measurements, checked for paper errors, and received a million paper cuts and an almost squished finger). I'm about to get my car back this weekend
Old 3/18/05 | 04:54 PM
Cobra Member

I'm 17 and have had my licence for a year and a day. I can't afford a car let alone a 2005 GT, but if I could, I probably would buy one. so I don't blame this guy one bit for being able to get a GT. I don't know if he is spoiled or works very hard it doesn't really matter to me, because if my parents gave me this car there is no way I would say no. My parents couldn't afford to buy me a car like this and wouldn't if they could afford it, but that is just the way they are. I will also have to pay for college for myself with some help from my parents, but am not bitter to those that have it paid for by their parents (not yet anyway)

I am sure there are sixteen year olds that are responsible enough to drive this car. I don't have a lot of experience compared to some people here, but my dad would let me drive his if he gets one because my parents beleive I am responsible. I don't have any speeding tickets or accidents (knock on wood) There is a girl at my school who has totaled three cars (all her fault), she is the same age as me and her parents keep getting her brand new cars and they pay for insurance too(who knows how much that is). The only way I would be mad at the original poster for being able to get a GT would be if he was in the same situation this girl is in.

So anyway that was my longest post ever and I am wondering how many people that said the GT is too much car for a sixteen year old had a high horsepower muscle car when they were in high school
Old 3/18/05 | 05:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by graphicguy+March 18, 2005, 12:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(graphicguy @ March 18, 2005, 12:46 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-TexasMom05@March 18, 2005, 4:14 PM
I have to agree....we bought for our daughter at 15 a Toyota Celica....but not the GT...and now at 18 we have ordered a GT convertible.....but she has not had any tickets or fender benders and has proven herself to be responsible. And she knows if she gets a speeding ticket that baby is gone!

I'm assuming this is your only (or at least first) child?

Guaranteed....she will have an accident or a ticket before she hits 20. You're only hope is that she's not hurt. Wait till you see your insurance bill, then. If you think it's bad now, just wait......
[/b][/quote]

Just because your younger doesn't mean your bound to get a ticket in this car. I'm sure theres a lot of older people here that have already gotten a speeding ticket in there 05, and they've only had it for a few months. Granted I do agree experience does come with age, but poor eye sight does also.
Old 3/18/05 | 05:58 PM
Cobra Member

If I were 15/16 I'd want one too, heck at 33 I wanted one and bought one.

But lets be honest here, if at 16 your able to get a 05 GT why settle for that? Go for a Vette or maybe a Viper. I assume any kid with parents willing to buy them a 300hp $25k (Which ends up being closer to $30k than $25k in the real world with options and tax) they could swing a bit more to make you really happy.

I'd pitch a fit if they refused.
Old 3/18/05 | 08:04 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

IMO- I think any parent that puts a 16 yr old kid in a 300hp car is totally irresponsible and they are asking for big time trouble and possible heart ache.... Sorry but thats just the way I feel about it..

I did have high powered cars in high school and my dad did regret it in the end. I look back now and wonder how I survived my early driving days..
Old 3/18/05 | 08:23 PM
Cobra Member

First, in this day and age, it is unrealistic that a kid that wants to go to college won't be able to pay for it. Gone are the days where a student had to work their way through school. Almost all students can get federal loans to pay for most of college at a public university. And the interest rates on repayment are extremely favorable. If a parent wants to pay the way, good for them. I will not be doing so. I have recently experienced, as I just graduated, the difference between students that know they are going to have to pay the money back, and those who are given everything. Going to Vanderbilt University, it was appalling the number of kids whose parents bought them brand new Benzes, BMWs, Jaguars, Porches, you name it. These students also had their educations paid for. The point is, they did not appreciate the scope of any of it. Those who were in debt $100,000 for school, tried a lot harder on average. They cared more because they realized there was no one there to bail them out in the end. If mom and dad bail you out your whole life, you think they will always be there to take care of you financially, etc. Maybe some families have the money to do that. Most don't. I think it is a dangerous endeavor to give to children freely, and expect immature teenagers (and I mean no disrespect, but they are by definition, immature) to apply any value to the work it took to supply them with those things.
Old 3/18/05 | 08:27 PM
Cobra Member

Oh yeah...a 16 year-old has no place behind the wheel of a 300 hp car. It doesn't seem like much to me, but I can't imagine how much it would have seemed like had I had it when I was 16. My first car was an '88 Thunderbird Sport with a 150 hp 5.0 V-8. At the time, I thought it was crazy fast.
Old 3/18/05 | 08:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@March 18, 2005, 11:30 PM
Oh yeah...a 16 year-old has no place behind the wheel of a 300 hp car.

yes!!!!!!! I turned 17 on wednesday

actually I have never driven a car with 300hp so I don't know if I could handle it
Old 3/18/05 | 08:48 PM
FR500 Member

there r actually a couple of us young ones getting or have this car already. i havent had A TON of experiance on the road but my job does involve driving cars. actually i was just complaining to my parents since my bro and dad took the car im driving for now and just left. when i get my mustang, they wont be able to do that cuz the keys will be hidden....1 on me at all times......sleeping with it next to me too
Old 3/18/05 | 10:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@March 18, 2005, 7:26 PM
First, in this day and age, it is unrealistic that a kid that wants to go to college won't be able to pay for it. Gone are the days where a student had to work their way through school. Almost all students can get federal loans to pay for most of college at a public university. And the interest rates on repayment are extremely favorable. If a parent wants to pay the way, good for them. I will not be doing so. I have recently experienced, as I just graduated, the difference between students that know they are going to have to pay the money back, and those who are given everything. Going to Vanderbilt University, it was appalling the number of kids whose parents bought them brand new Benzes, BMWs, Jaguars, Porches, you name it. These students also had their educations paid for. The point is, they did not appreciate the scope of any of it. Those who were in debt $100,000 for school, tried a lot harder on average. They cared more because they realized there was no one there to bail them out in the end. If mom and dad bail you out your whole life, you think they will always be there to take care of you financially, etc. Maybe some families have the money to do that. Most don't. I think it is a dangerous endeavor to give to children freely, and expect immature teenagers (and I mean no disrespect, but they are by definition, immature) to apply any value to the work it took to supply them with those things.

removed post .....
Old 3/18/05 | 10:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by GtStallion51+March 18, 2005, 11:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GtStallion51 @ March 18, 2005, 11:35 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-KansasCityTim@March 18, 2005, 7:26 PM

I have to disagree. I'm am 21 and a Civil/Structural Engineering Student at the University of California, Irvine. I pay for school, my 05, and my apartment on my own. It all depends on how much work your willing to put in to have what you want. Oh yeah and i'm not a drug dealer or anything else that has already been said about the original person who created this post.
[/b][/quote]

How do you disagree with me? It sounds like what I said. The more a person does stuff on their own, the more they appreciate it. I am confused.
Old 3/18/05 | 10:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim+March 18, 2005, 9:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KansasCityTim @ March 18, 2005, 9:37 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by GtStallion51@March 18, 2005, 11:35 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-KansasCityTim
@March 18, 2005, 7:26 PM

I have to disagree. I'm am 21 and a Civil/Structural Engineering Student at the University of California, Irvine. I pay for school, my 05, and my apartment on my own. It all depends on how much work your willing to put in to have what you want. Oh yeah and i'm not a drug dealer or anything else that has already been said about the original person who created this post.
How do you disagree with me? It sounds like what I said. The more a person does stuff on their own, the more they appreciate it. I am confused.
[/b][/quote]

ummmm..... yeah your right. I read the post wrong the first time. I hate finals week, I need some sleep.