2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

i think one of my HID bulbs bit the dust...

Search this Thread

Old 4/25/13, 01:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think one of my HID bulbs bit the dust...

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  101.8 KB

as you can see, the drivers side bulb is RIDICULOUSLY dimmer than the passengers side. the drivers side now has a purplish hue to it instead of the passenger sides BRIGHT blue tint. i have an 8000k kit on there from hidguy.net. this kit (and the bulbs) is prob at least 4 years old. the car has approx 78k miles on it. when i first bought the kit, i could have SWORN i read that these bulbs should have lasted longer than they did. could this be the bulbs way of saying time to replace me? or is this a problem with the ballast? im going to switch the bulbs tomorrow (didnt have time tonight) so i should be able to figure out the answer to those questions. thing is, from what ive read, the bulbs will never be the same color if you replace just one. and seeing as how 2 bulbs will cost me approx $40-$50, im thinking about just getting an entirely new kit from hidguy.net for $140. figured id upgrade to a 10,000k kit this time...REALLY **** off the people on the other side of the road hahaha . regardless of what i end up doing, something will need to be replaced. hopefully the original bulbs are still where i left them so ill at least have headlights that match...just going to be a MAJOR difference in visibility not to mention a change in the look of the car ugh. any info on my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by slipnotovk; 4/25/13 at 01:57 AM. Reason: typo
Old 4/25/13, 01:17 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
10K is trash. Even 8K is a waste. Easiest thing to do is to just swap the bulbs and see if you still have the same problem. I'm thinking the color temp gets higher and higher over time as it gets closer to needing replacement, so that would explain why it's purple instead of blue. I'm thinking you just need a new bulb, so no reason to buy a whole new kit unless you really just want to spend the money. Also make sure you're not touching the bulb with your bare hands...Perhaps that's why it's going out so soon?
Old 4/26/13, 09:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
4000K is the best, maybe go as high as 6000K but nothing more than 6000K.
Old 4/26/13, 10:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

ive always loved the look of my 8k bulbs so i might just stick with those. I know that the higher the temp the closer to that purple color you get but i doubt that it got hotter over time. mainly because the light output is almost non-existent now and ive seen cars with the purple HID's and they were def brighter than my cr@ppy bulb . i emailed hidguy.net about their "warranty" with no answer. it says "Lifetime Warranty on HID Bulbs and HID Ballasts when Complete Kit is purchased by order." im not completely sure what that means so i messaged hidguy on the main website AND on mustang source and haven't heard anything since (messaged 2 days ago). it would be FANTASTIC if it was covered under warranty but i doubt it.

has anyone dealt with hidguy.net's warranty policy? need to know the in's and out's of it before i take the next step and either just replace the bulbs (from what im told, you should replace both because if you do just one, the color is going to be off) or get a whole new kit.

thanks everyone for the info
Old 4/26/13, 10:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Also make sure you're not touching the bulb with your bare hands...Perhaps that's why it's going out so soon?
the bulbs are atleast 4/5 years old and I made it a point not to touch them as i was putting them in. so i doubt that was the issue