2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I think my car is totaled!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/08, 08:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I think my car is totaled!!!!!!!

Well, I never thought this would happen to me. Friday night, only about a block away from my house, going about 50 mph in a 45. Went to switch lanes, and the back tires hit a small patch of ice that I didn't see. Car slid for about 100 feet across the street, jumped a curb slammed into a brick wall and then spun and took out a light pole. I'm perfectly fine and only have a slight burn on my wrist from the airbag. The paramedics couldn't believe that I wasn't hurt a lot more. I guess it says a lot about the safety of these cars. I could've been hurt really bad, so I think I was pretty lucky. This was the first accident that I've been in, and I hope I never have to go through anything like that again. Just glad nobody else got hurt.

I've been told that the car is fixable and won't be totaled. I'm becoming less confident that it can be fixed, the more that I look at it. What do you guys think? The front suspension seems to be fine, although both front rims are broken. The sideskirt on the driver's side is the only broken one, but they'll probably have to buy the whole exhaust system from cervinis to get it. I've got so much money in this car and a lot of the stuff can't be removed. Even if it's borderline, and they total it, I'm still going to buy it back and fix it up. I have full coverage with State Farm.

The car was supposed to be in storage. I only took it out since it was supposed to be around 40 degrees this weekend. Just sucks that I won't be able to drive it for several months. I even just bought a manual trans from our boys at Rehagen Racing that I was going to swap in place of the auto in a month or so.

The pictures are very graphic!

Old 2/24/08, 08:13 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy cow. Glad to hear you only got a slight airbag burn from that.
Old 2/24/08, 08:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5 Star crash rating. Thank goodness! Glad you are unharmed.

BTW your car looked awesome (emphasis on LOOKED).

I would say that once they really dig into it, that car may be totaled. I'm no body guy, but the damage looks QUITE extensive. I'd also be very surprised if the frame isn't bent, and unless you get the absolute BEST people in the industry, frames aren't ever quite the same once they're bent.

Personnally, I'd be wishing for a total.
Old 2/24/08, 08:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
OMG your lucky count them stars ! wow sure looks like a write off to me how could anyone be good enough to make it worth setteling for ? If buying back is an option I would , get another and transfer all those up grades. I did with a Beemer I had once. Most Important Your health , hope it didn't have P Zero's as they suck in any wet weather !
Old 2/24/08, 08:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Sorry for your loss....................Thank God you were okay!! Don't forget: "Cars can be fixed"
Old 2/24/08, 08:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I think some of the pictures make it look worse than it is. The bottom radiator support is barely bent. The radiator and the front bumper supports are in really bad shape. The back quarter panel looks like it could replaced easily. The part that worries me, is the front driver's side fender that hit the pole. The driver's door still opens easily and I think I'm lucky that it didn't pop the glass.

Old 2/24/08, 08:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow. Glad you are ok.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But I think she is pretty much a total. I saw a coupe at my friends shop that had identical rear damage on the quarter (which they saved) except the trunk needed only painting and was ok. Trunk floor needed to be replaced as well as a piece of frame apparently. As well as something with the exhaust They painted the entire right side and back and told me it was over a 10K job. It needed no air bags though.

The front of yours looks like it has quite a bit of frame damage unfortunately. I am guessing you are upwards of 18-20K in damage there especially with the mods. But I may be wrong.

Maybe it is just the pics, but the left quarter looks like it has some distortion by the wheel arch too.
Old 2/24/08, 08:50 PM
Cobra Member

Holy cow - based off the pics I am guessing they will total it. Since these are unibody cars I suspect some twisting or tweaking is done. Everything will need pulled before anything is cut and replaced. The laser jigs can get things right on the money. A friend of mine does this type of repair in Oklahoma and I've driven several of his rebuilt vehicles and you wouldn't have known they were damaged. If they total it get another and buy a wheel to repair the damaged one (unsure if the other front is okay). Still get checked out by a doctor as several issues can present themselves later. Glad you are okay and the car can be replaced with version 2.0 maybe get additional mods you were thinking of doing.
Old 2/24/08, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
If it`s not totaled you won`t want it anyway as it`ll never be the same.
Make the insurance buy you out a get a new one.
Nice wheels though.
Good Luck on this one
Old 2/24/08, 08:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
That's awesome that you came out of it unharmed. As for the car, I may be hard, but I'd wait to hear some good opinions about what the damage to the structure of the vehicle. There are some issues that just have a way of not getting corrected.

I know you put a lot of effort into the vehicle, but it does look pretty bad, I'd at least be open to the fact that you could do a lot of cool stuff to a new replacement (with some new options you couldn't get when you got yours (like the glass roof on the way).

Either way, keep it or get a new one, good luck to you in getting your wheels back under you soon!
Old 2/24/08, 09:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
OMG! Glad you're ok. May not feel like it now, but you were lucky! Can't believe you're not hurt! Hope it all works out for you.
Old 2/24/08, 09:25 PM
GT Member

Wow- I'm really sorry for your crash, I can tell you spent a lot of time and money on your Mustang! For what it's worth, that was a great looking car- I'm glad you are ok- if insurance takes care of it, just get another one.
Old 2/24/08, 09:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by I-70 west
If it`s not totaled you won`t want it anyway as it`ll never be the same.
Make the insurance buy you out a get a new one.
Nice wheels though.
Good Luck on this one

I could see that if the suspension would be damaged, but it doesn't look like it is. All the door gaps seem to be in line also. I don't know. This car's like my baby. I've done all the work on it myself and probably have about $15,000 in mods. I don't believe the insurance will cover any of the mods and will only pay me the depreciated value of the car. It's an 05, so it probably won't be that much and won't be anywhere near what I put into it. Buying the car back and transferring the mods then parting the car out might be an option, but I don't have anywhere to store the car while I'm disassembling it. I just feel horrible.
Old 2/24/08, 09:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by newbreedgt05
I think some of the pictures make it look worse than it is. The bottom radiator support is barely bent. The radiator and the front bumper supports are in really bad shape. The back quarter panel looks like it could replaced easily. The part that worries me, is the front driver's side fender that hit the pole. The driver's door still opens easily and I think I'm lucky that it didn't pop the glass.
yea i think it might be totaled in comparison to my 1st stang.
Attached Thumbnails I think my car is totaled!!!!!!!-wrecked.jpg  
Old 2/24/08, 09:36 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The front clip and bags alone wouldn't total it, but with the rear damage, it may push it over the edge.

I've got a little rule for hits like this - "When in doubt, total it out." Less headaches for everyone. Good luck.

Most insurance policies cover $1000 in aftermarket equipment, depending on company and state.
Old 2/24/08, 09:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Pitch Black
yea i think it might be totaled in comparison to mine.
The front on yours looks like it was pushed in farther than mine. The engine in mine is untouched. And yours is also a V6 and a coupe, unlike mine which is a V8 and vert. Some people say that the vert part might have saved mine. I hope so.
Old 2/24/08, 09:40 PM
Cobra Member

Mine got totaled a month ago... had a roush supercharger in it, someone hit me on the interstate. Insurance took a week to tell me it was totaled. I'm kinda glad they did...
Attached Thumbnails I think my car is totaled!!!!!!!-dsc07261.jpg  
Old 2/24/08, 09:41 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by newbreedgt05
The front on yours looks like it was pushed in farther than mine. The engine in mine is untouched. And yours is also a V6 and a coupe, unlike mine which is a V8 and vert. Some people say that the vert part might have saved mine. I hope so.
Those people may be correct.
Old 2/24/08, 09:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Double post, disregard.
Old 2/24/08, 09:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by rony1976
Mine got totaled a month ago... had a roush supercharger in it, someone hit me on the interstate. Insurance took a week to tell me it was totaled. I'm kinda glad they did...
That was totalled? Is that the only damage done is what is in the picture?

Quick Reply: I think my car is totaled!!!!!!!