Search this Thread

Old 7/11/05, 12:56 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
doubt it will have any effect
Old 7/11/05, 12:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed with adrenalin, I doubt a teenager is thinking about his funeral and a sports cra at the same time.

Matt
Old 7/11/05, 12:59 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have sat in classes for youths have have caused serious accidents. They show them pictures of decapitated bodies, etc. Very graphic and gut wrenching. Anyway, after it is over and done we have watched some of them go out to the parking lot and have races to see who can get to the exit the fastest. Some people will never learn until it is too late which is very unfortunate.
Old 7/11/05, 01:05 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Everyone that I knew that was 16 and got a motor cycle that was high powered died....a couple of friends i knew that had muscle cars that were under 19 we burried .
Basicly we would like to see you around for a while .
Old 7/11/05, 01:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahhh to be 16 again and to know everything. I wish I could go back because I just forgot everything and now in my '30s know nothing

The way I see it is this. Your parents bought you a car that you probably shouldn't have (seeing as you wrecked it more than once weeks after you got it). Now accidents are accidents and that's why they call them that, but the last bit about spinning into a tree sounds like someone who needs a hiatus from driving.

I agree it doesn't matter what kind of car you have. If you're a bad driver (or inexperienced driver) you can still kill yourself. BUT with a beater your friends will be far less likely to encourage you to "get on it" or something of the like. AND I would imagine YOU would be far less likely to try and take a corner at 90 or at on obviously unsafe speed.

But the simple fact that your parents bought you this car and are now considering buying you a Roush shows that whatever we say will not penetrate the lessons your parents have already provided.

You're upset because we spoke the truth. I'm sure none of us take offense to that more than we actually feel dissapointment that your parents are actually going to buy you another FASTER car.

For your sake, and your parents sake, I hope you don't get a new car. I hope you don't get ANY car for a while... not until you get more experience and are older. From 16 to 17... oh what a difference a year makes at that age BELIEVE me.

Like someone posted earlier... what if that tree wasn't a tree? What if that happened to be a car full of kids? What if you killed an innocent family because you were jacking around with your new Mustang and seeing how fast you could drive it around a corner?

You bragged about being able "to do whatever" we can do. Most of us DON'T drive that way. We don't go out on the road and test our driving skills by trying to go fast, or whatever it is you have in your head that you think driving is.

Driving is a very dangerous activity. Even when you don't speed and drive like an idiot! Why? Because there are plenty of other idiots out there that are driving fast and trying to do stupid things in their cars. Umm like 16-year-olds that THINK they're Mario Andretti.

Just think about all of this. Try to accept it. Maybe you won't... but I think deep down somewhere you know that we are right and that you were probably goofing around when you shouldn't have been. Think about the safety of others next time you get behind a wheel. If you had killed someones wife or daughter what would that have been like?

Here's hoping.
Old 7/11/05, 01:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by ponyboy66@July 11, 2005, 6:34 AM
I think that the 4 banger,v6/ vs. v/8 debate here is useless.
Speed does not kill.
It's about driving skills and common sense.
I had a car that had over 300 hp when I was 16 and I didn't crash it.
I had cars that had less than 200 hp and didn't crash them either.
But the potential is pretty much the same in all vehicles.
If you take a corner too fast it doesn't matter if you have 50 hp under the hood or 500. I think what he needs is a good dose of head slap and some instruction.
No offense, but if your responsible then you should be able to handle anything. Until then, you should not drive at all.

well said. I have been driving around in my dads 1969 boss 302 on special occasions since i was 17, its all about knowing your car and making the right decisions.

But if you were to go out and buy a honda, you could do some serious work to it, make it faster for pretty cheap, and save a ton of money. insurance would be ungodly for a 16 year old on a roush.

or switch to two wheels, then you'll really feel it the next time you have a fender bender!!
Old 7/11/05, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Pitch Black@July 11, 2005, 6:35 AM
Ok. ya'll have went and done it.. You all have no reason to ride my back about it.. .. I guarntee that i can do almost anything you all can. But i won't take my stang back because... crap happens it's life oh and if i could of had a hummer trust me i would have taken it.. I was taught to drive a V8 thats all i know.. OK I had probaby the worst week of my life i feel bad enough that it happened.

Edited for name calling.
Please read the rules if you have a problem with this.

Al-righty then.....what now????
Granted .It's the worst week of your life. But it isn't a total failure if you learn something from it.

Tell us what you've learned. I'm hoping it's not that you can smash up a new car and just go get another one ..."anyway you want it" under 30K.

If you tell your folks you want to take some time and think this over, I think they'd be impressed.
Old 7/11/05, 01:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

My kids turning 16 in a year and he's happy as all get out because I'm giving him my '95 Neon oil leak around the head gasket and all.

Everybody needs to learn on an old beater with a 4 banger nowadays.

He knows he will probably never drive my GT because by the time he gets enough experience I'll have enough money to buy a Saleen and I can guarantee you he'll never drive that as long as I'm alive.
Old 7/11/05, 01:54 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sell the Mustang,

Get a Jeep
They handle awsome........

Old 7/11/05, 02:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

My daughter had something like that when she was 5 or 6. We took a car battery and used it as a power source instead of the battery that came with it. That thing was fast as I don't know what. It did burnouts and wheel stands all the time unless you loaded the front end with bricks.

She would drag race the other kids in the court it was no contest. The only problem was you could only run it for about 5 minutes at a time because the motor would overheat.
Old 7/11/05, 02:26 PM
Bullitt Member

If your folks are the ones buying your cars/insurance for you, then they should step back and take a long look at your driving record as well. Do they want to see you hurt/killed and/or possibly someone else as you take on the road again in a vehicle "any way I want it"?? Somebody's not thinking straight any way you look at it.
I'm not bashing your folks or you......it all seems senseless, thoughtless, and very dangerous. Just because you have someone to buy you anything you want, doesn't make it right for you to drive like you want.
Please listen to us......we're trying to look out for your safety and the safety of others. We do care.............
Old 7/11/05, 03:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've had driving experience since I was very young on my grandfather's farm. My frist real car was a pretty rundown 1965 Ford Galaxie with a 352 (see my gallery ) and I got that when I was 14 and started working on it and restoring it with my father. That thing was a boat to drive-- its a massive car. The only accident it sustained was while it was sitting in my high school parking lot. The vice principal came and got me out of my 4th period. Some girls who pakred next to me were skipping class and nailed my rear quarter panel. I had painted it a few weeks prior. Its second "accident" was an engine fire caused by a faulty ground.

But I digress... my point is, that we shouldn't stereotype teenagers just becauses there are some that make bad decisions. There are some who are really great responsible kids, that know what they're doing. It is unfortunate that their peers cause them all to be looked at as wild and dangerous. Not to mention there are plenty of adults out there who are alot worse. There are 2 kinds of people in this world regardless of age-BOTTOM LINE

No, I wouldn't go with the Roush or the GT if I were you, but when it all boils down, you can do whatever you want if you have the means. Just be careful
Old 7/11/05, 03:56 PM
I Have No Life

Yes, that spinning out of control must have been the ROAD and TREES fault for being there....

Old 7/11/05, 04:13 PM

You know, to tell you the truth I sorta had a similiar situation.
Well, no it wasn't similar but I learned how much power the car had.
The vacuum hose got disconnect from the cowl induction and I was reversing... I kid you not I got to the next door neighbors house... Not to mention when I got into drive it was actually terrifying... You can't exactly just go back to your driveway and kill the engine... Backfire from heck, yes? Anyways, I figured I could go down the service road by my house. Well, I realized my brakes weren't working when I tried to stop at the stop sign and ran it... Needless to say I almost went in the ditch right then and there. The thing that made it REALLY frightening was that the car was going around 35-40 and I was giving NO gas to it... Right there you know somethings not right... I finally got to the end of the road, realizing it was either be me or the car... Stupid me didn't remember "emergency brake" so I quickly shifted into park... I thought I was going to plow into the bayou :| Luckily, it was only a violent shove forward... But when I turned the ignition off... Smoke was coming from the lid and thats when I got off threw the window and ran for my life... Of course it didn't blow up... We women tend to over-react... Well I got out with quite a bit of repairs and lose my hearing for a week. I was so d**m scared to get back into the car, I had to force myself to get back in it... Reminding myself how much money I put into it... You know what I mean? Cars are dangerous machines if you're not really used of the power.
I don't really consider that a wreck, because no exterior damage to the car or property... Just a valuable lesson. That's why I was stressing to the guy that there are certain dangers of a bigger block.
But like everyone's saying. Ulimately, it's his choice and his alone.
Old 7/11/05, 06:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think society is cought in a loop (this is all IMO obviously). People learn best from their own mistakes because of the unfavorable effects they have on them. Despite the advise of others who have knowledge, people will continue to try things on their own until they make the same mistake and then in turn try to pass on that same advise as a now experienced individual.

Life is a test, not a book. Don't read it or hear about it from others, live it and learn. No, this doesn't mean jump out of a plane without a parachute, or drive a car into a wall, but when it comes to the things you want in the future, don't let somebody else run your life, live it to the fullest of your potential and try to make all of your dreams come true.

Yesterday is gone and tomorrow is a gift. All you have to work with is today.
Old 7/11/05, 06:40 PM

There's no way on gods green earth would I allow my 16 yr old to get a Saleen or Roush. My .02, theres something to be said for working your way up the ladder. This applys to careers, cars, whatever. Not to mention the pressure you will have put on you from your peers who are not so fortunate to have such a nice car. There will be times that peers will put you in a position to possibly make a bad decision with that car, the pressure is real. And yes, your track record in such a short time indicates you might not be ready for such a powerful machine.
I know its hard but try and see the big picture and understand what the older guys are telling you. We speak from experience.
Old 7/11/05, 08:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by BullitBrian@July 11, 2005, 8:43 PM
There's no way on gods green earth would I allow my 16 yr old to get a Saleen or Roush. My .02, theres something to be said for working your way up the ladder. This applys to careers, cars, whatever. Not to mention the pressure you will have put on you from your peers who are not so fortunate to have such a nice car. There will be times that peers will put you in a position to possibly make a bad decision with that car, the pressure is real. And yes, your track record in such a short time indicates you might not be ready for such a powerful machine.
I know its hard but try and see the big picture and understand what the older guys are telling you. We speak from experience.
AMEN.......I don't understand parents today........giving their kids WHATEVER they want......that makes them spoiled brats!! They don't have to work for anything! They don't understand the value of a dollar. I NEVER DARED to ask my parents for a car, much less anything else. I was thankful for what I DID get from them.
When I got older and on my own, I still NEVER asked them for anything. I wanted to show them I could be independent and not dependent. I've worked hard all these years to have the things I have now. I'm 49 and proud that my parents raised me the way they did. Our needs were satisfied, not our wants.... and I've raised my kids the same way!!
Old 7/11/05, 08:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

But you all have no reason to bash me when you haven't ever road with me in car, i admit i'm not the best driver but i am descent i know on wet roads you should slow down.. After experincing the wreck my driving has completey changed. and i didn't ask them they gave me the car you all asume way to much more than you should.. And if you misread the post i have a new stang already and their has not been one close call to an accident expect for this car running a red light but i stopped at the white line when i seen him moving. All i am saying is the lesson was learned.. My mom and dad are excellent parents, my sister is 25 and they bought her a new 95 celica, and she wrecked but it is repaired and still running in great condition so you all have no idea how i was raised if im a brat or not.. Most people can't even tell that iwe have money.. But you all are bashing based on a record.. A killer can have a record but be the sweetest person ever..
Old 7/11/05, 09:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

This thread isn't going anywhere....
Old 7/11/05, 09:10 PM
I Have No Life

Dude, what did you seriously expect?
With the title and the post?

Don't be ignorant