2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I have questions

Search this Thread

Old 12/21/04, 05:33 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) How long do I need to baby her? She has 118 miles on her.....I have not cracked 60MPH yet. When can I tear **** down 65?

2) How can I make the passenger side airbag register me? I am about 125, and when I sit there, the passenger side airbag light flashes- pass airbag off. Does not do when he sits there.

3) Has anyone else had the shaker 500 cut out a little bit during a song? Just like 10 seconds of silence during a song on CD, then back to normal.

4)She has NO traction control, and is not a FWD. I have never driven a car without these- anything special I need to know?

5)I need to keep her safe- should I get an alarm? Is she absolutely unstealable without my keys?

What shall I do to her? Today I go to Autozone for a hose for the Olds(it broke Saturday, that smelled). Should I pick up toys?

My husband laughed his butt off at me- I said- What the hades? The battery is backwards and the alternator is in front- why is my engine not put together right?
Old 12/21/04, 05:42 AM
Queen Of Nascar

2) How can I make the passenger side airbag register me? I am about 125, and when I sit there, the passenger side airbag light flashes- pass airbag off. Does not do when he sits there.
My passenger side air bag does the same thing. I have noticed I can re-adjust myself in the seat and it will come on for a few minutes and then if I move even slightly it will go off again.

Again Congrats...I know you are the happiest person in Alabama!! Are you going to stripe it?
Old 12/21/04, 05:45 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by Donna@December 21, 2004, 7:45 AM
My passenger side air bag does the same thing. I have noticed I can re-adjust myself in the seat and it will come on for a few minutes and then if I move even slightly it will go off again.

Again Congrats...I know you are the happiest person in Alabama!! Are you going to stripe it?
You know it...........

But not right now, I am kinda broke. I took every cent I had to buy and tag her.

I don't know whether to go boss or shelby either.
Old 12/21/04, 05:46 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

OOh-

Also those who are keeping the stickers-----

How do I keep them unmolestered? I am thinking of sticking it under the seat....
Old 12/21/04, 05:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
I keep my stickers along with a brochure for the car, so that both could be passed on to the next owner. I keep them in the house in the file I maintain on the car.

As far as RWD solid axle issues - they have tamed that classic facet of the new Mustang quite well. She should telegraph her intentions before she tries to buck you off.

During high speed cornering, the old Mustangs ('60's) were famous for understeer VERY SUDDENLY turning into oversteer. The car would then swap ends and you became just a passenger for several seconds.

I got to be a left front passenger several times.
Old 12/21/04, 06:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

I placed the brochure, window sticker, all the little interior tags, and the order/selling paperwork into a file in my filing cabinet for safe keeping. That way when/if I sell the car, they are in the same condition as they are now. I guess a future buyer would like to have those items?
Old 12/21/04, 06:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by EleanorsMine@December 21, 2004, 6:36 AM
1) How long do I need to baby her? She has 118 miles on her.....I have not cracked 60MPH yet. When can I tear **** down 65?

Yesterday! I was fishtailing out of the dealers lot.

My wife is 105 and the airbag does not do that, I don't have an answer for that one. I thought the cutoff weight was 75 lbs. I could be wrong, or the airbag could be messed up

3) Has anyone else had the shaker 500 cut out a little bit during a song? Just like 10 seconds of silence during a song on CD, then back to normal.

Sometimes, when the song ends, it stops for a second or two to register the next song. Irritating, but it is no where near 10 seconds or so.

4)She has NO traction control, and is not a FWD. I have never driven a car without these- anything special I need to know?

You have no snow problems, so you should be relatively ok without traction control. With a RWD car, you want to steer into the skid. FWD you steer out of the skid.

5)I need to keep her safe- should I get an alarm? Is she absolutely unstealable without my keys?

NO car is unstealable. If a thief wants your car, he will get it no matter what you do.

My husband laughed his butt off at me- I said- What the hades? The battery is backwards and the alternator is in front- why is my engine not put together right?

Not only that, but it is proabably sideways to you.
Old 12/21/04, 06:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by BEACHBOY@December 21, 2004, 7:31 AM
I placed the brochure, window sticker, all the little interior tags, and the order/selling paperwork into a file in my filing cabinet for safe keeping. That way when/if I sell the car, they are in the same condition as they are now. I guess a future buyer would like to have those items?
I am doing the same, but someone told me to take the sticker to Kinkos and get it laminated to help protect it more. He said there are two types; a regular and an extra thick laminate. He shows his car, so he brings the sticker with him to the shows.
Old 12/21/04, 06:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

The Kinkos idea is a good one. it is cheap and would really protect the window sticker. At least the new window stickers are more durable than the old ones that were just cheap paper and would rip just by looking at them.
Old 12/21/04, 06:48 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can stomp on it from day one. She is ready to be driven so don't hold back.

Gain some weight

My Shaker 1000 did the same thing every now and then.

Take your time and learn how to drive that car properly. I have never had traction control in any car prior to this one. Actually I can't stand it and always turn it off anyway.

Nothing is absolutely unstealable. If they want it, they will take it.
Old 12/21/04, 06:56 AM
GT Member

I weigh about the same and mine does that too. I pick myself off the seat and plop back down. It'll usually come back on within a few seconds when I do that. I think I'm the only one it does that with. I read in the manual that not sitting in the seat properly will cause the airbag to turn off too.

Congrats on your car.
Old 12/21/04, 07:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by BEACHBOY@December 21, 2004, 7:43 AM
The Kinkos idea is a good one. it is cheap and would really protect the window sticker. At least the new window stickers are more durable than the old ones that were just cheap paper and would rip just by looking at them.
Just make sure to ask for the thicker stuff. I hear it is solid and won't bend to much that way. I live across the street from Kinkos, but have not done it yet. I keep meaning to. I just hate stopping to get out in this cold weather.
Old 12/21/04, 09:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yes as you've heard, no car is unstealable. A friend of mine used to take his plug wires inside with him at night and that didn't even stop them, they flat up and TOWED it out of his driveway. There are a couple things you can do to help keep Eleanor safe and sound. Get an alarm, it won't stop a professional thief but may stop an ameteur joyrider. Get LOJACK. Lojack is a device the police use to track your car after you report it stolen. Since the transmitter is tiny and can be hidden anywhere in the car, a professional thief will steal it and "park" it in a neighboring town for what's know as a "cool down" period. If the car is still there when they return a few days later, they know it doesn't have Lojack and they take it to their chopshop or to the seaport for shipping. And both, Lojack and an alarm will get you an insurance discount.

And finally, ENJOY HER AND CONGRATS!!
Old 12/21/04, 09:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Well on the RWD traction issue, the v6's have an open axle meaning only one tire is going to spin out most of the time. So around turns and such you should have pretty good traction at least compared to the GT's with trac-lock spinning both tires the same all the time.
Old 12/21/04, 10:34 AM
Cobra Member

The manual says no special attention is really needed but to try and not let the motor rev at the same speed for extended periods until 1000 miles. Up to you, want to get a taste then go for it, want to be ultra cautious and keep it tame until 1k then it certainly wont hurt.

no idea, I know my last car had that feature but no light to notify you if it were on or off. The air bag being off is NOT a problem however, especially for you. They are designed to be dual stage. If the accident is severe enough it will still deploy. Lightly built people can be injured more by the air bag than the accident under some circumstance.

Yes, sorta. Every now and then it quickly rewinds a bit of music, then replays it, maybe 3 seconds of music. It also stopped functioning all together one day. if it is persistant I'm taking it in, should work propperly.

The car even with traction control off is really very stable. I've been messing with turning it off and feels just about the same in corners but I have not been pushing it on any twisties yet. I'd never forgive myself if I did something stupid and damaged her. You will notice quite a differance if your used to front wheel drive going into corners. Instead of digging into a corner and easing out, you ease in and power out. not sure if that makes sense. Also in wet weather if you lose traction you will fishtail a bit, moderate adjustment to the throttle will smooth it out. Go easy on the throttle on slippery surfaces. Also rear wheel drive cars are designed to understeer but can be forced to over steer very easily. Front wheel drive cars will understeer because of the drive train, tend to just go straight when you push it too hard into a corner. Thats why rear wheel drive is so much more desirable for enthusiast. Takes a little finess, but will out handle front drivers easily.

Absolutely buy an alarm! I know first hand how much a differance it makes, same truck with alarm was never touched. The alarm quit working and I replaced 4 windows before I decided to just clean it out and leave it unlocked. Most people who will break into your car only want anything of value laying inside, or maybe a stereo or speakers. An alarm is a deterant, add as many complications as you can to a break in theif and they will bypass your car for an easier mark. A car thief who really wants your car and has the knowledge, can unlock, disarm and start your car with a lap top. Was a pretty good program on discovery channels "master minds" which chronicled a car theif that I believe was the inspiration for "gone in 60 seconds". But any deterent is a plus.

What shall I do to her? Today I go to Autozone for a hose for the Olds(it broke
Saturday, that smelled). Should I pick up toys?

Wash/wax and enjoy. Maybe pick up a new key chain or some cleaning products.

Nothing auto zone sells is worthy of your car, as far as appearance upgrades go.
Old 12/21/04, 12:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by EleanorsMine@December 21, 2004, 6:36 AM
The battery position helps improve the weight distribution so the car has improved handling. I don't know if anyone would do it on this car, but some people have relocated the battery to the trunk to get extra weight out of the front of the previous SN-95 Mustang.
Old 12/21/04, 12:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Answer to All of your questions! It's Called the OWNERS MANUAL! It's that Little Book they Gave you That's Probably Burried in the Bottom of your Glove Box.
Old 12/22/04, 03:42 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

No time to memorize that, too busy racking up miles!

One more- I opened my hood today, she has a blanket around the battery. What for?

Also- Wheel locks- do I always keep the key handy?

Out of habit, I got in, stuck in the OLDSMOBILE key. She didn't like that- made a nasty noise at me.

And Steer OUT of the spin right? Not with? In case I go all nutty again.......
Old 12/22/04, 03:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was a pretty good program on discovery channels "master minds" which chronicled a car theif that I believe was the inspiration for "gone in 60 seconds". But any deterent is a plus.
wow dude, how old was that car thief... Gone in 60 seconds is a rehash.

here's the proof

And Steer OUT of the spin right? Not with? In case I go all nutty again.......
you want to keep the wheels straight with the road, and use controlled motions... if the rear end starts going right, steer left. But don't overdue it or you'll be kicking the rear end out and around the other way.
Old 12/22/04, 03:57 PM
Jackass

Originally posted by EleanorsMine+December 21, 2004, 6:36 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (EleanorsMine @ December 21, 2004, 6:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>1) How long do I need to baby her? She has 118 miles on her.....I have not cracked 60MPH yet. When can I tear **** down 65?[/b]

You need to watch the tachometer not speedometer. That is to say, watch your RPM's not you’re overall speed.

<!--QuoteBegin-EleanorsMine
@December 21, 2004, 6:36 AM
5)I need to keep her safe- should I get an alarm? Is she absolutely unstealable without my keys? [/quote]

There is no reason not to set the alarm. As for unsteable, if someone wants it bad enough it's theirs.

Quick Reply: I have questions