2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I guess it's the night to get pulled over.....

Search this Thread

Old 12/4/04, 09:37 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by V10+December 4, 2004, 3:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (V10 @ December 4, 2004, 3:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-2005muzzy@December 4, 2004, 1:24 AM
Front plates are stupid . NO reason for them.
There are some very good reasons for front plates.

1. Makes a great reflector for laser.

2. Give's good shot for photo radar so they can get both the plate and your face in the photo.

3. Same for toll booths

4. Not having a front plate gives the cops a good excuse to write a ticket to raise some revenue for the town, county or state.

That's the real reason, just another way so stink money out of the public.

Years ago when I was 16 and just got my first car, I was out taking it for a ride the first night. I got pulled over by a cop. I asked him what the problem was. His response "Do you know that you have temporaray plates on this car" DUH, thanks for letting me know officer. I just picked my car up 3 hours ago, so I must have forgot I had temporary tags on it. :bang: [/b][/quote]
Front plates have been around a lot longer than the first two on your list, so I don't buy those as good reasons for having front plates. Seems like it would cost the state a lot of money to supply plates for the front of every vehicle.
Old 12/4/04, 09:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Treadhead+December 4, 2004, 10:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Treadhead @ December 4, 2004, 10:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by bigred0383@December 4, 2004, 4:10 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-jcopin
@December 4, 2004, 11:23 AM
so who protects us from the cops?
they are the criminals

I don't mind some cop bashing, everybody has bad run ins, but it's pretty unfair to label an entire profession with experience from only a few, or from stories you have heard. What most people don't realize is that cops deal with good and bad people everyday, but due to their job, its normally the bad. A lot of the things people complain about is simply a cop trying to insure his personal safety, and whether you can see it at the time or not, your safety too. Most people also don't realize that the little things (a lack of front plate, a cracked windshield, a burned out bulb, expired stickers, etc) often lead to the discovery of bigger things (stolen cars, drugs, warrants, etc). Now I can't stick up for these officers, because I wasn't there, but I can say in the majority of situations, give them respect, and they will give you respect.

The easiest way to start things off right, is when pulled over 1. Turn on your interior lights 2. Put and keep your hands on the steering wheel 3. keep your seatbelt on and 4. Be cooperative (cops really hate it when people think they know the law better than them)

Not trying to rag on everybody, but the above leads to much more calm situations and pleasant dealings with the officers sworn to serve and protect you.
Just want to say thanks Jim for sticking up for us criminals. Some people have no idea what our job is like and hate us till they need us. I have been called every name in the book and some that aren't so jcopin's name callin doesn't even come close to the worst I've heard. I don't like to write tickets but some people make it easy. So thanks again to Jim and all the others who support us. [/b][/quote]
B) There are always incidences of bad apples in any profession.
I spent some time as a State Cadet before joining the service cause it was safer way of avoiding the draft (yeah I'm in the geezer range), Two uncles were cops, brother-in-law was a cop, I volunteered for two years, whenever my Military schedule allowed, teaching street fighting and defense techniques to cadets at HPD.
One thing discussed about over the years is the ungrateful attitude lots of people have about cops; especially the immature or people hiding something.
Sometimes I think it's too bad there isn't a law on the books for FELONY STUPID.
Flames accepted
Old 12/4/04, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by woody1+December 4, 2004, 11:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (woody1 @ December 4, 2004, 11:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Treadhead@December 4, 2004, 10:35 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-jcopin
@December 4, 2004, 11:23 AM
so who protects us from the cops?
they are the criminals

I don't mind some cop bashing, everybody has bad run ins, but it's pretty unfair to label an entire profession with experience from only a few, or from stories you have heard. What most people don't realize is that cops deal with good and bad people everyday, but due to their job, its normally the bad. A lot of the things people complain about is simply a cop trying to insure his personal safety, and whether you can see it at the time or not, your safety too. Most people also don't realize that the little things (a lack of front plate, a cracked windshield, a burned out bulb, expired stickers, etc) often lead to the discovery of bigger things (stolen cars, drugs, warrants, etc). Now I can't stick up for these officers, because I wasn't there, but I can say in the majority of situations, give them respect, and they will give you respect.

The easiest way to start things off right, is when pulled over 1. Turn on your interior lights 2. Put and keep your hands on the steering wheel 3. keep your seatbelt on and 4. Be cooperative (cops really hate it when people think they know the law better than them)

Not trying to rag on everybody, but the above leads to much more calm situations and pleasant dealings with the officers sworn to serve and protect you.

Just want to say thanks Jim for sticking up for us criminals. Some people have no idea what our job is like and hate us till they need us. I have been called every name in the book and some that aren't so jcopin's name callin doesn't even come close to the worst I've heard. I don't like to write tickets but some people make it easy. So thanks again to Jim and all the others who support us.
B) There are always incidences of bad apples in any profession.
I spent some time as a State Cadet before joining the service cause it was safer way of avoiding the draft (yeah I'm in the geezer range), Two uncles were cops, brother-in-law was a cop, I volunteered for two years, whenever my Military schedule allowed, teaching street fighting and defense techniques to cadets at HPD.
One thing discussed about over the years is the ungrateful attitude lots of people have about cops; especially the immature or people hiding something.
Sometimes I think it's too bad there isn't a law on the books for FELONY STUPID.
Flames accepted [/b][/quote]
Isn't being stupid a severe enough penalty as it is?
Old 12/4/04, 10:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Most people also don't realize that the little things (a lack of front plate, a cracked windshield, a burned out bulb, expired stickers, etc) often lead to the discovery of bigger things (stolen cars, drugs, warrants, etc). But I can say in the majority of situations, give them respect, and they will give you respect.

Maybe the majority where you live. But NOT where I live. And by the way. The list you provided doens't always work. My cousin was pulled over awhile back because his tags were stickered as expired. Yet when he went to court he showed the judge where he had purchased them yet someone had stolen them and he had valid stickers on his truck when he went to court. And after that he thought that everything was taken care of.

Well about a month ago he was pulled over again. He was told that his license was suspended for the above reasons & that he would be taken to jail. Well, he opened his door & the cop stood there & watched him take his seatbelt off. Yet he still recieved a ticket for, you guessed it, NO seatbelt.

If I ever get pulled over & they tell me that my license has been suspended & I am going to jail. I will flat out refuse to step out of the vehicle until I get like 3 witness that I trust to watch me unbuckle & step out. Then I am demanding to know why my license was suspended.

My brother was in a wreck in Memphis, it was his fault, but the guy he hit was out lifting refridgerators later that very day. Well later my brother was sued saying the guy had hurt his back in the wreck. And that he owed them 50,000 & could keep 5,000 of personal property. Well my brother didn't & still doesn't have 5,000 worth of personal property. So, they revoked his license.

We, then like 3 years later, paid to have them reinstated. He was pulled over 2 other times & was fine. Yet he was pulled ofer by DOT for speeding & they came back revoked for that very same wreck. Then he was on probhation in Henderson Cty & Madison Cty. Well. He WAS still paying fines in Henderson Cty when his probhation officer in Madison Cty said he couldn't be on probation in both Cty's. So she checked his case in Henderson & it said closed due to death. With him sitting right acrosss from her. :nono: :scratch: :notnice:

And lately within 2 weeks he was arrested in Gibson Cty. Just because the cop would pull up behind him & run his tags for being out of Cty & then would arrest him for revoked dl. Yet the 1st time he was pulled over was for "a busted headlight" & the second was "traveling at a high rate of speed" 2 blocks from his house to the laundry mat. Yet he WAS NOT charged for either of those. Only for no dl.

Then after he got out the 2nd time, he got out of his girlfriends car at a convience store & the cop who arrested him the 1st time for "the busted headlight" was in the parking lot. He walked across the parking lot & looked around the car and inside the car through the glass to see if my brother was driving. It's harassment & entrapmet & profiling. And it's wrong. And it's the number 1 reason I want to be a lawyer. :nono: :angry:

So, long story short, YES the majority of cops are out to protect. Yet the vast majority in Henderson Cty, Madison Cty, & Gibson Cty are out to harass & intrapt you. My brother has NEVER had a DUI or DWI & he can't buy a break. Yet my last 2 stepfathers had like 9 DUI's each & never spent 1 night in jail nor did they loose their license. My neighbor was born drunk. When I was a child he would run over our mailbox at least once a week, he came out naked waving a gun, etc... & yet he had his license til the day he died.

These are the cops who give the rest bad names. The ones who arrest people for possession of illegal substances & then go out & smoke it themselves. And that's also a true story. I know people who have gotten high with them.

Anyway. That's my long rant. Cheermates
Old 12/5/04, 02:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

Just protecting my soon to be own. Drive safe everybody.
Old 12/5/04, 02:43 AM
GT Member

Ah hemm. Back to the topic.

It is state law in CO to have front plate. I have had 2 warnings on my previous mustang. Do you think that it carries over? New car, clean slate or new car old slate?
Old 12/5/04, 02:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

I can't say it is the same for CO, but warnings only stay on your liscense for 90 days in IL (unless that was recently changed). So with your new plates your new car will be clean, but keep in mind whatever is on you liscense will stay there no matter what you drive.
Old 12/5/04, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by ColoradoStang@December 5, 2004, 3:46 AM
Ah hemm. Back to the topic.

It is state law in CO to have front plate. I have had 2 warnings on my previous mustang. Do you think that it carries over? New car, clean slate or new car old slate?
I would have to say that your warnings don't stay on there for too long, otherwise I would think you would have 1 warning and 1 ticket. If a cop pulled you over for something and you had already received a warning for it, I don't think they would give you another warning.
Old 12/5/04, 03:41 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Before I get to the topic I think all of the people giving cops are hard time need to get over it in a hurry. I have several friends that are cops and do you know how many people they have pulled over for small little things and find out the driver is drunk, has warrants etc etc... They are just doing their job. If you are going to do something to break the law, such as no plate in the front when 1 is required then yes, they should pull you over. My buddy pulled a car over last year because there was no plate. When he walked up to the car he was shot at. Ended up the car was just involved in a robbery and the dumb robbers ranked the front plate off thinking the cops couldn't ID the car. They forgot about the back plate. The kicker is, if my buddy didn't notice the front plate missing he would not have turned around to pull the car over.

If you get pulled over don't be a twit! Turn off the car, roll down your window especially if it is tinted (yes even if it is raining out) and keep your hands high on the steering wheel. Doing this will not only show the cop that you are not going to give him a hard time but also it puts them a bit at ease. I have been pulled over twice in my life,hmmm, both time in stangs and have done this. Both times the cops were very polite and only gave me a warning.

Anyway after my little rant I have a feeling the only reason the cop pulled you over Kevin was to check out your car. They are like anyone else, the love the car and want to see it. Unfortunately he decided to abuse his power a little and pull you over to get a better look.
Old 12/5/04, 03:49 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Front plates are a requirement for CA as well, however, I have never owned a vehicle with one, and I have never been pulled over for it. I have been pulled over several times for speeding, tags, etc, and they walk to the back to get the plate number, NEVER the front... never ask for it either.

I have lived in Cali all of my life. I have noticed that areas that are notrorious for having a larger number of "jerk" cops, are also areas of higher crime. I live in HB, and the general conscenus is all HB cops are jerks. Well, HB also has a VERY high population for its size, and then add to it the enormous amount of tourists to deal with, its no wonder they are a bit touchy out here. We got pulled over in hubbys truck.. the motorcycle cop had seen from across the street that hubby was sans belt. We happened to be on our way to the station to report my purse stolen. Needless to say, we were both pretty pissy. (the purse and it contents worth over $2000).

I have cops in my family, and grew up next to a gold shield for LA Sherriff. I learned very early the best way to deal with getting pulled over, or any time I need to communicate with an officer on duty. Hubby learned the same habits from me, so when he was approached for his belt, he had his hands on his steering wheel... but his attitude was pretty bad. The cop sensed the stress before he opened his mouth, and the cop started out with, "You need to calm down, explain what is going on." He ended up letting us go on a warning, even with hubby being a jerk. I was stunned.

We all know there are bad apples in any profession... when I was in law school, I found out how much vehemence is directed towards anyone with an LD. Yet, when your in trouble, most people LOOK for the slick slimey attys, those are the ones to get you off.

I respect police officers, and I have been both victim, and "suspect". I dont blame them for being on the defensive, and sometimes short tempered. I couldnt deal with risking my life all day every day for people who have zero appreciation for it.

/rant off.
Old 12/5/04, 10:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

My Dad was a cop for HB.

but he is kind of a jerk. :-)
Old 12/6/04, 08:39 PM
GT Member

Reminds me of when I had just gotten my 84 Mustang GT in Arizona. I was rippin up some twisty road north of Mt.Graham with my GF and we passed a local cop sittin in wait. Thinkin that he probably noticed my lack of plates and speed, I immediately pulled over. Sure enough, two seconds later he comes around the turn, brakes hard, and pulls up right behind me. I was really polite - hands high on the wheel - radio off - window down. He saw the temporary under my rear tinted window as I explained that I had just taken delivery a few days prior and needed to check out the car. He detained us for what seemed like awhile (probably just ten minutes), but let us go with a simple "Please drive more carefully".
I think that it was my (lack of) attitude that made the difference.
As Mustang drivers, it would be great if we earned a reputation with police as being as cool as our cars.