2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I guess i showed him!

Search this Thread

Old 7/27/05, 06:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Welp yesterday i brought my car in for the squeaky brakes, they thought i was crazy so they had someone ride with me so they could here it...OF COURSE they give me the deafest man in the shop! He couldn't hear anything, much less my brakes. So he thought i was making it all up but told me to come back today because the foreman (?) would be in and i could have him ride with me to hear them.

So i go again today and i have him ride with me and after him not being able to hear it much either i put the windows down and he finally heres them squeaking and he tells me that its NORMAL (?!?!?) I say "i know some is considered normal but this is a little ridiculous" He told me that there was probalby not much they were going to be able to do about it

So we return to the shop me feeling defeated like i let this guy walk all over me and tell me that i basically don't know what i'm talking about and that all this noise is normal...

I sit in the waiting room for about 3 1/2 hours and the manager (real nice guy...hes the only reason i've gotten half of the good service i've gotten.) walks in and shows me this clip that was MISSING from one of my back brakes, he said this could be causing the squeaking. And the foreman said the squeaking was normal...i would have liked to show him a thing or two. Needless to say they will have to order this little clip (a rattle clip or something of that sort) and i'll have to go back but the manager felt so bad that i was going to have to come again (3rd time this week!) that he didn't charge me for my oil change .

Sorry for the long post but i know alot of people have been having trouble w/ squeaky brakes.

Also while we were driving around i asked the foreman about the hesitation problem that occurs, after you give the car gas it takes a second or two for the engine to respond....he also said that was normal. I don't know if i believe him now
Old 7/27/05, 06:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Glad to see eveything worked out for ya in the end, but man I feel bad for female drivers who go into a shop KNOWING that there is something wrong with her car and KNOWING plenty of information on cars in general and they think they can walk all over ya! glad ya stood up for yourself and received the service through the MANAGER that you should've gotten in the first place.

Matt
Old 7/27/05, 07:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hmm... hesitation and squeaky brakes are normal? This "foreman" has been well-trained

Sounds like he thinks your 05 has a turbo.

FYI- my brakes were squeaking pretty loudly as well. I got new wheels and tires put on last week, and haven't heard any squeaking since. I have no idea why it would make any difference, but so far, so good.

Great story though... I'm glad it sounds like it's going to end well for you.
Old 7/27/05, 07:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info but do us a favor, don't write in pink. Its very hard on the eyes on the screen.
Old 7/27/05, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Wink

sorry about that, it is kinda hard to read being such a long post.
Old 7/28/05, 03:55 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Glad they figured it out Celeste. If you had spent all that time there and still had squeaky brakes you would have been mad. Of course now you probably get to wait "forever" on the parts. Good Luck!
Old 7/28/05, 07:09 AM
Bullitt Member

My brakes squeek something terrible in rush hour traffic. Someone else on the forum complained about the same problem and ford shaved the rotors (some favor that was ). I am convinced, unless otherwise educated, that the problem with the squeeking in the brakes is from cheap brake pads. I plan on replacing mine one of these days.

So, for the local mechanics (and I am not), do you think the brake pads are causing the squeeking?

Please advise
Old 7/28/05, 10:11 AM
Bullitt Member

anyone?
Old 7/28/05, 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

I assume you have an automatic? Without retuning the computer to get rid of some of the lag, the throttle-by-wire system will cause the lag you describe, i.e., it is normal. There have been a lot of complaints about this, particularly on the automatics, all over these boards, since the '05 came out. It's a very well-known and common issue, but not technically a problem. If you hate it (I'm sure you do), get a tuner to get rid of it.
Old 7/28/05, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Wink

Originally posted by 05stangster@July 28, 2005, 8:12 AM
My brakes squeek something terrible in rush hour traffic. Someone else on the forum complained about the same problem and ford shaved the rotors (some favor that was ). I am convinced, unless otherwise educated, that the problem with the squeeking in the brakes is from cheap brake pads. I plan on replacing mine one of these days.

So, for the local mechanics (and I am not), do you think the brake pads are causing the squeeking?

Please advise
I know it is! While i was there i was getting very impatient going into about the 2nd hour of sitting there so i got up and kinda walked around a little bit and i guess they could tell i was getting aggervated! They had the man that rode w/ me the 1st day (the practically deaf one) come and show me how the brake pad looks! Now i'm not much on knowing what they are SUPPOSE to look like so he was telling me about how the brakes work and whatnot he then proceeded to tell me about how because they are Ford brakes (not the motercraft replacements) they are the better ones that they have and that working for a ford dealership they do not have the resouces to give us (the customer) better brakes. They either have to use the factory brakes or the motercraft replacements. Then he told me about how no matter what they did, ie scuff the pads, grease them or just replace them, They were more than likely going to start squeaking again because that was the Ford Brakes.

So i'm looking into buying some ceramics. That should put all the squeaking to a very quick Stop.
Old 7/28/05, 10:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Wink

Originally posted by ILikeBond@July 28, 2005, 11:25 AM
I assume you have an automatic? Without retuning the computer to get rid of some of the lag, the throttle-by-wire system will cause the lag you describe, i.e., it is normal. There have been a lot of complaints about this, particularly on the automatics, all over these boards, since the '05 came out. It's a very well-known and common issue, but not technically a problem. If you hate it (I'm sure you do), get a tuner to get rid of it.
Thats what i've been planning on doing. I guess i've just been hoping Ford with come out and say hey this IS a problem and they could fix it. But i was kinda wanting a tuner anyways so now at least i have a major reason to get one!
Old 7/28/05, 10:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Celeste. I wish Ruby good will and may her brakes be forever QUIET.
Old 7/28/05, 10:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by HorsC@July 27, 2005, 8:37 PM
Welp yesterday i brought my car in for the squeaky brakes, they thought i was crazy so they had someone ride with me so they could here it...OF COURSE they give me the deafest man in the shop! He couldn't hear anything, much less my brakes. So he thought i was making it all up but told me to come back today because the foreman (?) would be in and i could have him ride with me to hear them.

So i go again today and i have him ride with me and after him not being able to hear it much either i put the windows down and he finally heres them squeaking and he tells me that its NORMAL (?!?!?) I say "i know some is considered normal but this is a little ridiculous" He told me that there was probalby not much they were going to be able to do about it

So we return to the shop me feeling defeated like i let this guy walk all over me and tell me that i basically don't know what i'm talking about and that all this noise is normal...

I sit in the waiting room for about 3 1/2 hours and the manager (real nice guy...hes the only reason i've gotten half of the good service i've gotten.) walks in and shows me this clip that was MISSING from one of my back brakes, he said this could be causing the squeaking. And the foreman said the squeaking was normal...i would have liked to show him a thing or two. Needless to say they will have to order this little clip (a rattle clip or something of that sort) and i'll have to go back but the manager felt so bad that i was going to have to come again (3rd time this week!) that he didn't charge me for my oil change .

Sorry for the long post but i know alot of people have been having trouble w/ squeaky brakes.

Also while we were driving around i asked the foreman about the hesitation problem that occurs, after you give the car gas it takes a second or two for the engine to respond....he also said that was normal. I don't know if i believe him now
Hey Bro,
I have a Black V6 also and have the same problem.. Loud Scretching Brakes and takes a second or two for the gas to respond.. And took it to the dealer and he said that it was normal and all probaby a little dusting.. I was like all the time nearly 24/7 is normal? So could you try get the exact name for the clip so i can have my dealership check it?
Thanks
Coleman
Old 7/28/05, 11:03 AM

Thank goodness you actually had someone with some sense(guy that told you about the clip) working with you and trying to help you out.

I took my 97 Trans Am that I used to have to the dealership one day because I had just bought it and the brakes were squeeling like crazy!!! They took it back for a couple of hours and said it was normal and there was nothing wrong with the brakes. Well, the guy that I knew that was working there brought the car back around and it was squeeling even louder! I told him I would be back the next morning. Took it back and the same guy looked at it and told me it needed brakes because there was nothing left but metal!!! Idiots.....
Old 7/28/05, 12:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Wink

Originally posted by Pitch Black@July 28, 2005, 11:52 AM
Hey Bro,
I have a Black V6 also and have the same problem.. Loud Scretching Brakes and takes a second or two for the gas to respond.. And took it to the dealer and he said that it was normal and all probaby a little dusting.. I was like all the time nearly 24/7 is normal? So could you try get the exact name for the clip so i can have my dealership check it?
Thanks
Coleman
Yeah i'll try to find out for you but for further posts i'm a sis not a bro
Old 7/28/05, 12:36 PM
Bullitt Member

alright well its called an "anti-rattle clip" its a little thin piece of metal,

the more i look at pictures of a brake setup though the more i don't understand how it could be causing squeak. Maybe though...i don't know much about brakes...or working on a car for that matter
Old 7/28/05, 01:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by HorsC@July 28, 2005, 10:27 AM
So i'm looking into buying some ceramics. That should put all the squeaking to a very quick Stop.
It has been my experience that ceramics actually squeak WORSE than stock pads. Beyond the missing clip, perhaps the pads you have could be replaced. Have you isolated the noise to either the front or rear brakes? Also, perhaps you have rotors that are glazed over from constant contact with the pads - warped rotors might cause the pad to contact more than normal. Did anyone mention the condition of your rotors?
Old 7/28/05, 02:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I was not told anything about my roters! I hope it's not them because thats a little more money than i was hoping on having to spend to fix a problem that i shouldn't even be having! They did say however that because i live in louisiana and its SO humid here that the brake pads could cause a slight amount of rust to accumulate on my roters, overnight! But that after driving for a short period of time that should be worn off.

The front brake pads have been replaced but it was done by my dealership also so i don't know if its THEIR brakepads or if it was the rear brakes. Becuase of this i don't really know if it was the front or rear brake pads but they scuffed my back ones yesterday and greased them and i haven't had anymore problems but i also don't have that clip on it yet either so i don't know if the clip would have actually helped stop the squeaking anyways....who knows!