2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I Finally Drove One!

Search this Thread

Old 10/26/04, 11:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
Hope you are right Scott - EleanorsMine needs to find a good deal before she bursts a blood vessel!
Old 10/26/04, 12:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Kluski+October 26, 2004, 7:04 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kluski @ October 26, 2004, 7:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BlueStangVert@October 25, 2004, 7:03 PM

I love the reflection of the pony on the bumper. [/b][/quote]
WTG Brad, so jealous but that's nothing new.

Just got back from Florida myself, I got to see a Torch Red GT up close and personal. As with most dealers though, no test drive w/o commitment($$$). :notnice: He was nice enough to let me drool over it and start it up.
:worship: Whoa! What an amazing feeling it was stepping on the gas and making that beauty growl, pure music to my ears! It had everything but the red leather upgrade. The Shaker 1000 was very nice but like most people I don't know if it's worth THAT price. Yet knowing myself I don't want someone cutting into my dash or anything like that to put a different system in when I get mine. So I'll probably put up the loot for the 1000 anyway.

Love the site, keep up the great work!
Old 10/26/04, 12:57 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Hau's response:

Hi Brad,

Good to hear from you and thanks for all the good work that you and your moderators are doing to support Mustang. It looks like cars are starting to show up in dealerships and folks are starting to give us feedback on the car.

Thank you for your comments. Let me try to address the areas that you did not like:

Spoiler: styling is a very subjective thing. I personally don't like non-functional add ons. As a result, we offer a spoiler delete option. I will share your feedback regarding the appearance of the spoiler to our design team.

Rocker molding: same comment as above...

Grille: the filled-in honeycomb is intentional. We do that to strike the right balance between cooling, drag, front lift, and climate control performance. You need to be careful if you decide to select an aftermarket grille since we did all of our testing with the production grille. Granted we test to the worst case conditions (e.g. towing a trailer up a mountain in the heat of summer) but you could affect cooling, fuel economy, and climate control performance.

Side Mirror: You need to be careful when you compare features between cars. The Mazda 6 also doesn't come with a V8, VCT, 300 HP, etc ... I agree that color-keyed side mirrors would look better but we couldn't afford them. I know that you may say... well I would pay more for them... but you can have the same argument with IRS, rear mounted antenna, 6 speed transmission, etc.... The bottom line is we wanted to keep the Mustang affordable. To do that, I have to meet my cost objectives. I try to spend money where I think our customers value it (performance, performance, performance).

Regarding shape & size of mirrors: we have very specific requirements for rear visibility. This is greatly affected by the height of the beltline. The high beltline of the Mustang dictates the size of the mirrors.

Regarding small body exterior changes... can't comment on future products.

Your banner is still making the rounds. I will check with my admin to see where it is.
Old 10/26/04, 01:03 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Brad-

Thanks for the insight with Hau. I can't say enough how cool it is to have direct feedback from the "man" himself. It really shows the professionalism of you and this site, not only in Ford's eyes but with all members.
Old 10/26/04, 01:06 PM

Thanks Jason, I appreciate it.

You can remove the link from your sig. We're on a dedicated server right now.
Old 10/26/04, 01:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's nice to hear that HTT feels the same way as we do about things(i.e. spoiler). And it's pretty cool to have the inside track of what he thinks and the reason things are done. Thanks Brad.
Old 10/26/04, 01:17 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
brad, awesome that you can communicate the sentiments of the site to him directly.
Old 10/26/04, 01:41 PM

I have Hau's phone number stored in my cell phone. How freakin' cool is that?!
Old 10/26/04, 02:07 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by BlueStangVert@October 26, 2004, 2:44 PM
so I assume no prank mid-night phone calls?

If any of you have ever met Brad, you know he gets all school girl giddy over stuff like that. You should have seen the grin on his face when he showed me Hau's phone number in his phone. I'm surprised Brad hasnt taken pics of it. Keep up the awesome job Brad!
Old 10/26/04, 05:06 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Scott, you should have seen how awestruck me and Dan were when we met him, the frist thing each of us said was "no one will believe this"
Old 10/26/04, 05:20 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

hahah
Old 10/26/04, 06:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Brad, Dan, Galaxie and all the other Mods/contributors...the level of communication you've had with Ford's Chief Engineer on the Mustang and others (like the test drive) is a great statement of the respect with which your opinions and this site overall is held. Congratulations!!!

Ford has to listen to its enthusiast base...we make for repeat buyers and are walking/talking advertisements for the brand...the best marketing you can have.

I'm also a Jeep guy and thats why I relate to Mustang...Jeep owners are HIGHLY likely to continue to be repeat buyers (I'm in my 4th Jeep and will never be without at least one in my stable) and expand into other levels and types of vehicles within the brand because they are in at the grass roots. Jeep "gets it" to a large extent and they promote the enthusiast market with events like Camp Jeep which bring together all kinds of different owners that share the nameplate. Yes, they aren't always perfect but they know where their bread is buttered. I like that Ford is showing it too can take care of its core consumers and leverage them into successes and provide products that can mix nostalgia and technology together for potent automotive fun.

Keep the good times and great info rolling!!!
Old 10/26/04, 08:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by BlueStangVert@October 26, 2004, 2:44 PM
:worship:
Old 10/26/04, 08:14 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Brad, if there is anyone that you should send a complimentary Mustangsource shirt to, its him
Old 10/26/04, 10:20 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it's the dedication of Brad and all the moderator's keeping this site clean and professional that has caught the attention of Hau's ...and ford .
And considering most of the forum readers eather own ,have owned or will own a new 05 soon ....I'm sure they are very interested in what brad and others have to say about the new mustang and will take it into consideration . B)
Old 10/26/04, 10:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally posted by Ripstang@October 27, 2004, 12:23 AM
And considering most of the forum readers eather own ,have owned or will own a new 05 soon ....I'm sure they are very interested in what brad and others have to say about the new mustang and will take it into consideration . B)
Yes, indeed. They appreciate our enthusiasm, but our purchases help them make their mortgage payments. You know they REALLY gotta appreciate that!

It must be a real delight to design a car now when there's so MUCH regulation that the beltline height determines the size of the darn mirrors!

You wonder how they keep up with all this silly crap and don't end up being forced to design one generic-mobile after another.
Old 10/26/04, 11:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Brad-

If there was one comment that I could transmit back to HTT, it would be (regarding "performance, performance, performance"), it would be

Amen, Amen, Amen

And I'm agnostic... except when it comes to pony cars!

;-)
Old 10/27/04, 09:33 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

nice one M1.

That'd be cool to see HTT on Tv or somethign wearing a TMS Polo!
Old 10/27/04, 06:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by BlueStangVert@October 26, 2004, 1:44 PM
:bowdown:
Old 10/27/04, 08:39 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Originally posted by Paris MkVI@October 26, 2004, 11:45 PM
It must be a real delight to design a car now when there's so MUCH regulation that the beltline height determines the size of the darn mirrors!
If you ever have a chance, go to an Engineering library and try and find the SAE automotive standards handbook. It is about 2000 pages, if not more.

I was flipping through one of the handbooks my proffessor had from the 70's. Even then it was huge.

When I had the chance to meet Hau Thai Tang, metioned one of the design challenges was designing the car for the 18" wheel package. The reason was, they had to size the wheel wells for snow chain clearance (does anyone even use those anymore???)

Quick Reply: I Finally Drove One!