2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I can't beleive I'm even considering this!!! Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 10/30/06, 01:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OKLACOP,
I am in the same boat right now. I have orders to England and just bought a Hummer. I can't really justify making payments for 2 years on something that I am not even going to drive.
Back to the point, I seriously doubt that you will get your $$$ out of the ride. I would try to part it out , sell those then sell the car, you'll make out much better.

if you do sell let me know so that we can space our cars out enough and not flood the market.

Keep us posted
- Jesse
Old 10/30/06, 03:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
If you wanted to convince yourself about selling, calculate how much it will cost to put your car back to stock, price out what you think the used parts will be worth (estimate 60% of the original value), and then ask yourself if these costs are worth the savings by not having to make the loan payments over the remainder of its term. If you choose to get a less expensive car to replace the Mustang, reduce savings amount by that much.

I agree with others who have said that unless you ABSOLUTELY have to sell it because it will break your budget, then use the car and enjoy it.

PS - I would have answered differently if you had not modified the car. Then it would be "sell it".
Old 10/30/06, 03:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am another of the over 60 crowd on this list with a few personal stories which may help. In 1977 my wife and I purchased 2 Shetland Sheepdogs for company and to show at obedience trials. At that time we had a '75 Mustang II 4 cyl auto that in my opinion was a POS. We also had a '75 Formula 350 Firebird that had won me quite a few trophies in SCCA Solo II autocross races for the previous two years. Since the Firebird was paid for and my wife still owed about $800 on the Mustang, she talked me into selling the Firebird since we would get more money out of it. We did so to purchase a '76 Ford Club Wagon for transporting the dogs but after a few months she regreted us selling the Firebird since she enjoyed driving it much more than the Mustang II.

Now fast forward 10 years, our driveway now contains a '84 S-15 Jimmy 4x4 and a '85 Nissan 300ZX. Our son at this time was 1 year old and we didn't have the 2+2. The little red road rockets was hers and because of our 17' fish 'n ski she decides to sell the 300ZX because it only has two seats. My argument was that the Jimmy could seat 4 so we should keep the 300ZX but she decided to buy a Maxima and sell the 300ZX. Again regretting it a few months later.

In addition to the two cars mentioned above, I still regret selling my '68 Camaro to purchase the Firebird. The Camaro was much nicer looking and overall performed better. I also regret selling my '65 Mustang even though I was single at that time and could afford both it and the Camaro.

My wife also had visions of being a stay at home mom but soon realized she would go stir crazy after a while because she had been in the work force for 15 years before our son was born. What worked for us was the fact that both of us had the option of working shifts. She prefered 2nd and I stayed on 1st. This gave each of us some "one on one" time with our son and we would both be there on weekends. My wife would fix him breakfast and lunch while I would fix the dinner meals. At that time several of the churches in the area were providing 4 hour mini day cares once or twice a week so that the children could develop their social skills. Later when he started school she came back to first shift and we flexed our hours so that one of us was there to get him ready for school and see him off on the bus. The other one of us would be there to greet him when the bus returned that afternoon. Whenever he got sick and had to stay home we would alternate burning sick or vacation days to take care of him. My son and I really enjoyed the me and dad times. They don't last forever as friends and later girl friends really cut into the old parent-child time allotments. Our son is now 20 and is doing well in college. He is very well adjusted with a level head on his shoulders. He has told us that he enjoyed the tag team parenting that we did during his early years.

Sorry didn't mean to make this as long as it is.

BB

Semper Fi
Old 10/30/06, 03:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Even though we currently have a '98 Grand Marquis (hers) and a '96 Ford Centurion 4-door Bronco (mine) sitting in the driveway she gave me a kitchen pass to get the road rocket red (Torch) manual 2007 GT vert (mostly mine ) we have on order.

BB

Semper Fi
Old 10/30/06, 04:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a idea? Maybe be a toutor part time at home to take up the slack? Its hard to give up but its not just the money it the time you put in. Had a freind in the same way . worked for me part time till it worked out, didn't take long and he kept his car. I hope it works out for you.
Old 10/30/06, 08:47 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Listen to your wife. The answer is no. Not unless you can get it all back. With the amount of work you've put into that car, it's a member of the family too. My wife and I are expecting at the end of the year. One thing I never plan on doing is getting rid of this car. This car will be given to my (soon to be ) son when he's older, much older. Having mom at home is definately important, but I'll work 3 jobs before I get rid of the car.
Well, you asked for opinions. Good luck on whatever you decide, but just remember I'm (almost ) always right.
Old 10/31/06, 11:03 AM
Big Falken Tires

Well I don't envy your position man - I am always of the 'keep the car' pack, but life throws at you what it does.... and if you have to, you have to....

I WILL say this - you might find someone who is looking for exactly that kind of car - you won't get what you put IN but you could get a decent deal.

Case in point - I sold my 05 with all cosmetic mods in place and the CAI setup, a few billet pieces and flows.... it had approx 25K miles on it.

Sold it through the online Autonation part of the dealership I was buying the 06 through.... in the end, the guy who saw it (car was listed for maybe 18 hours online) loved it and made a hard offer. He bought it for 25 thousand.

Just food for thought....

In the end? I'd love you to keep the Stang though!!
Old 10/31/06, 11:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know for MC's they say book + 1/2 mod price is what you should get so if your book for stock is 28 and you have 6 in upgrades, expect to get about 31. Hopefully this won't even come up. I must admit that somebody should stay home with the kids. The thing is, would you get another stang in the future or would something else always come up.... Once given up, it's hard to ever get the feeling or the car back. Maybe suffer a little more and see what happens.
Old 10/31/06, 12:19 PM
Cobra Member

I say keep it if it's not going to be huge burden financially. I think you'd regret selling it...
Old 10/31/06, 07:30 PM
Bullitt Member

OKLACOP If it's a matter of absolute family or car I'm sure you would toss the car ina heartbeat as most of us would.

But since you said it's not something you have to do ....just keep it.I've followed your conversion thread and that turned out to be one bad hiney Stang.

I doubt you would get 35k for the Stang,JMHO.
But ya never know.
Maybe you just have the cash spent blues.We all get that sometimes.
Personaly I think you'll regret it.
Hope you decide to keep it.It's a awsume ride!
Old 11/1/06, 10:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Rob,

It sounds like the general consensus is you will have difficulty getting near the 35k for the car. You really have to stop and ask yourself the other important question "Will I regret selling it?" If you do sell it with the thought process of buying another one down the road, then you should definitely keep it. The next one will cost you more just from normal price increases. Good Luck with your decision.
Old 11/1/06, 12:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Burke0011
Well I don't envy your position man - I am always of the 'keep the car' pack, but life throws at you what it does.... and if you have to, you have to....

I WILL say this - you might find someone who is looking for exactly that kind of car - you won't get what you put IN but you could get a decent deal.

Case in point - I sold my 05 with all cosmetic mods in place and the CAI setup, a few billet pieces and flows.... it had approx 25K miles on it.

Sold it through the online Autonation part of the dealership I was buying the 06 through.... in the end, the guy who saw it (car was listed for maybe 18 hours online) loved it and made a hard offer. He bought it for 25 thousand.

Just food for thought....

In the end? I'd love you to keep the Stang though!!
Sorry to hear about your difficult decision.

Consider, if there is an alternative to the "financial issue" with respect to the car.

Also, if the car is enjoyed by you and your family, then the usage factor comes in to play in the desision. Lifestyle is indeed part of the reason we buy the things we do. Anything.

We have a saying around my shop, People in general purchase with their Money and Buy with their emotions.

I have went through issues with the Red Mustang i once had and after two months of her in the shop due to upgrades and a hit and run fix, i was about to lose it on having to drive a rental sedan. [That] made me realize it is more to it than just money.

I have been blessed to drive a Roush Sport for dealer show and work and a GT500 for show and charity only - yes, the money adds up, but just sharing these cars with people and for the charity they bring in the shows, etc., they are worth it to more people than just me.

Oftentimes, a desision like this one that can be avoided reasonably, will turn out more happily in the end. Remember, it is the life and times to consider as well and i cannot therefore encourage you to sell based on my experiance and point of view.

I wish You luck with the decision either way.
Old 11/1/06, 12:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

My luck may be changing here guys and gals........My wife may have an opportunity to teach a half day, which would be the answer to everything. Time home with the kids, a little extra cash, and to top it off it means I'll keep the car. It isn't a done deal yet, but it is definately a possibility. We may know something for sure as early as Friday. I'll keep you posted and thanks for all of the opinions and encouragement. It's funny how quickily things can change.
Old 11/1/06, 12:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OKLACOP
My luck may be changing here guys and gals...
That's great news, Rob!

You see why you can't act on rash decisions? It's not like you're deciding wether or not you want to get rid of a toaster. Selling a car is a big item decision that must be examined from all possible angles.

For every 2 steps you take, take one step back and look things over.

Every problem has a solution, it's up to you to find it.
Old 11/1/06, 01:29 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
I have sold Cars in the past that I regret to this Day. I would guess you would feel the same with this car. As Far as if you have to sell it. It is all about what you can get for it. Of course on a site of Mustang People we know what it would cost to duplicate this car. But out in the real world you could possibly get your money out of that car. A classified ad does not cost much to test the waters. But I hope you keep the car. Find another option I am sure it is there.
Old 11/1/06, 01:37 PM
Bullitt Member

You'll be better off keeping it. Good luck.
Old 11/1/06, 02:04 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Keep it if you can
Old 11/1/06, 02:20 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to hear the good news.
Old 11/6/06, 07:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

It's official...........I'm keepin it. Wife is gonna work a half day teaching job so all is good! Thanks to everyone who gave opinions and shared their stories.
Old 11/6/06, 10:57 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by OKLACOP
It's official...........I'm keepin it. Wife is gonna work a half day teaching job so all is good! Thanks to everyone who gave opinions and shared their stories.

Quick Reply: I can't beleive I'm even considering this!!! Opinions Please