2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I can't beleive I'm even considering this!!! Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/06, 05:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't beleive I'm even considering this!!! Opinions Please

I need your opinions. As of two days ago I wouldn't even have considered this, but I'm thinking about putting a "For Sale " sign in the window of my 06. Over the last two days my wife and I decided that it would be best for her to stay home and not go back to work. Having her home with a 5 year old and an 8 month old is more important that her teachers salary. Because of this I have had to consider selling my Mustang. It isn't a have to thing, and I may not even go through with it, but it would sure make things a little easier. My question to you all is this: How much should I ask for it? I don't mind being honest with you all in here........I have $35,000 and change in the car with all of my mods including the Shelby conversion and painted stripes. I've thought about doing the ebay thing, autotrader, newspaper ad, etc.......With the Shelby craze is this a good time to sell that Shelby look????????? I know a few of you have gone through this too, so please chime in. Again, this IS NOT something I absolutely have to do, but I know it MAY the most responsible thing to do. My wife says don't do it unless I can sell it for what I have in it. Do you all think there is any chance of that? Thanks for all your responses. By the way the car has 4000 miles on it.
Old 10/29/06, 05:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
Old 10/29/06, 05:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
your car is beautiful, but I just can't see anyone paying 35K for it. Keep it and enjoy it!
Old 10/29/06, 06:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by OKLACOP
My wife says don't do it unless I can sell it for what I have in it.
There is always a chance but in most cases anyone who does a little research is going to see as the GT that is was built as without the mods but then again, it is in uncharted waters with the Shelby craze. This may be the time to do it (to make your money back)

On the flip side, what does the car mean to "you"? I have only begun doing things to my stang and based on my life long love for Mustangs, especially the 64' to 73's, if I "lost" my 06 for whatever reason, I would end up thinking constantly what could I have done different to keep it and would always want this paticular car back.

Best thing I could say (my opinion based on how I feel about my car) is rough times will always come. You will get through the rough times and your Mustang is one of a kind that you built. Sure you could build another down the road but would it be the same? I guess it's all about what does your current Stang mean to you, now and in the long run.

**** I just realized I am having an affair with my car
Old 10/29/06, 06:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rocket88
your car is beautiful, but I just can't see anyone paying 35K for it. Keep it and enjoy it!
I agree. A car is a bad investment. I doubt that anyone will pay $35,000 for a used 06 when they can buy an new 07 for $8,000 less. It is definitely worth more to you than someone else. Take if from me... over the years I have lost my a$$ on vehicles. The rule of thumb is, the more mods the more you lose... overall. It is an awesome looking car. Who knows, maybe you'll find someone who is willing to pay the price. Good luck.
Old 10/29/06, 06:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have the possible online dealer, selling online classics, modified and exotic, from 66 Hertz GT-H to modified 05 06 Mustangs.
He charges 5%, has a lot high end clients.
I was lucky enough to get on his site and my other car is listed.
It is not an exclusive listing so you can still sell it yourself if you want.
If your car is accepted it will run on his website.
The greatest part is you will be able to set your asking price high with a full description and your photos. Here will interview you on the phone.
I has to be marketed propery IMO.
Here is the link to his site. Good luck

http://www.ronsusser.com/default.asp

-Rich
Old 10/29/06, 06:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I sometimes wrestle with this same thought. I have a philisophy that I live by and my boss (work boss) agress with it. It is ... When I die my tombstone will say Great Friend, Father, and Husband. Nothing on there will say great worker - (or in this case, a mustang lover.) -Your family is the most important thing in the world to you, take care of them and you will have no regrets.

As for the asking price of the car, that is a tough one. There are more and more Mustangs on the lot for sale lately. Just today I saw about 30 V6's and 10 GTs! You will probably not get as much as you put into in, but I would say list it for what you have invested. The car looks great, and this can easily be a Shelby for someone who cannot afford it.

Whatever you do, good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10/29/06, 07:02 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Fryguy
I sometimes wrestle with this same thought. I have a philisophy that I live by and my boss (work boss) agress with it. It is ... When I die my tombstone will say Great Friend, Father, and Husband. Nothing on there will say great worker - (or in this case, a mustang lover.) -Your family is the most important thing in the world to you, take care of them and you will have no regrets.

As for the asking price of the car, that is a tough one. There are more and more Mustangs on the lot for sale lately. Just today I saw about 30 V6's and 10 GTs! You will probably not get as much as you put into in, but I would say list it for what you have invested. The car looks great, and this can easily be a Shelby for someone who cannot afford it.

Whatever you do, good luck and keep us posted.
Well i am a teacher and my wife is a teacher. We have 2 young children(boy-5 and girl- 7).it's hard to decide to stay home or go to work..On both my children,we took out a home equity loan to get the kids through the first year of life while my wife stayed home.. we then refinanced when rates were low and rolled the loans all into one with our mortgage.After that, my wife returned to work because even with day care ,we came out on top with insurance and all. They absolutely thrived in day care because they got to socialize with peers their own age and learned things like following directions in a different environment etc..(Imperitive you do homework on in home and day care centers)..My girl is in 2nd grade now and above average academically and my boy is in his last year of pre K and just as smart ..We both love our children very much and are very proud of them..Some parents like to stay home all 5 years until kindergarten and some can't swing it financially or else feel guilty about it..You have to do what you feel is right but do not think you are a bad parent if you have child care..JMO...by the way ,I had 2 car payments,mortgage,home equity payment and I am a PE teacher with a bachelors..It is possible..Just be smart with money
Old 10/29/06, 07:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks Boltzman and everyone else. We are still discussing it as I type this. I still can't beleive I'm even discussing this. Hell, a week ago I was thinking I would be adding a supercharger around the first of the year. How quickly things change.
Old 10/29/06, 07:47 PM
GT Member

I had a 69 Vette turn into an oak dining room set. That was 25 years aog. My wife still feels bad about it. I still get to hold it over her head. If it was me and I could afford to keep the car, I would.
Old 10/29/06, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

We NEVER get back what we spend on aftermarket stuff. We do this kind of thing for the love of the "sport" knowing the extra $$$ we spend is a total loss if we were ever to sell the car.

If you were to sell, what would replace it? Would it be some econobox type of car? And if so, the main question becomes, "Would you be satisified with it?" My wife learned a long time ago that if I try to compromise like this, all I do is complain. So she's in the habit of saying, "Get what you want." In fact, this happened to me just weeks ago. I decided to sell my '03 Cobra and bought an '05 V6 / auto -- to save $$$. Well, I bought the V6 and within two days, I was doubting what I'd done and stopped driving the V6. In the meantime, my wife started driving it instead of her '02 mini-van. Within one week, I decided to sell the V6. There was absolutely no way this car could "replace" my 400-hp, 6-speed Cobra -- but my wife had other ideas.....

Unfortunately, I found an '05 5-speed GT that, I felt, I would be "okay" with -- before I sold the V6. But I bought it anyways. I then told my wife we would need to sell the V6. Know what she said? She asked, "Can we keep the V6 and sell the mini-van?" Geez..... So now, we own two '05 Mustangs.... not planned nor did we have any foresight to see things happening this way. BTW, I'm content with the GT..... maybe after the Shelby conversion.

Does this describe you? If so, do NOT sell. If it doesn't, then it's worth seeing how much you can get for it. Just an opinion from another gearhead....

Willie
Old 10/29/06, 09:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have to agree with the others. You probably have more in it than you can get back out. That doesn't mean it isn't worth it, just not to most non-Mustang types. Only you can decide what is best for you to do. I know that I still pine for my '66 vert that I sold for only $3400 back in '84. It was my daily driver, but I needed the money to help pay rent, and I wasn't about to move back in with my parents. I then bought a replacement car for $2000, leaving only $1400 extra for rent. I don't even remember how far that got me, but it seems like a drop in the bucket now, and I'd give my eye teeth to have that vert back. My current GT is only the second car I've had that I have actual feelings for. I'd trade it in for a Shelby or SE, but I'll never do without a Mustang again.
Old 10/29/06, 10:39 PM
GT Member

I have had a number of vehicles in my life (I am older that many on here) and I have sold vehicles for reasons of "being practical" or "banking some money" - I just about always regretted the sale not long after. I would then get bored with being practical or having $ in the bank - and buy something again. Don't do it unless you absolutely HAVE TO.

And I doubt you will get all your money back; but I could be wrong.
Old 10/29/06, 11:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thumbs down no way dude, bummer

OMG... I don't envy your position!

So sorry about the dilema, especially after all of the work that's been done. Sell the kids (just kidding), it's a great car.

Best of luck!
Old 10/30/06, 01:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

I agree with the many posters here that sooner or later you will regret selling the car. I personally would hold on to it as long as you can. I find that things have a way of working out one way or another in life. You may come into some money unexpectedly or your wife may find after awhile that she really wants to go back to work. If you have sold the car then you will spend $$$ to build another like it.

I personally would keep the car for now and not sell it until you have no alternative or decide you no longer want it (not to be confused with "no longer need it"). JMO.
Old 10/30/06, 07:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, I first saw your car the other day with the shelby changes. I was liek ****. I showed it to my girl, she was like that is a sweet looking car. I wanted to add the same parts. Personally, you could always get lucky and get someone to buy the car at your asking price. Realistically, it probably won't happen, and you'll probably get a lot less than you wanted. Keep that bad boy as long as you can.
Old 10/30/06, 09:06 AM
Bullitt Member

If you really want to keep it, perhaps an extra job on Saturdays would do the trick.
Old 10/30/06, 11:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

I want to thank everyone for your opinions, especially your personal stories of selling cars in the past then regretting it. I really am leaning toward keeping it..........I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 10/30/06, 12:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Mods do not add value to the car unless the buyer is willing to pay up.
Typically, someone sees a Mustang GT with a buttload of mods and wants to haggle down the price because the car has been raced/abused.
Old 10/30/06, 12:18 PM
Bullitt Member

good luck either way. but remember how something as simple as that car could become part of your childrens life. luckily the mustang is a car that you may just want to hold on to for as long as possible.. imagine the feeling you would have had if your father had an awesome car that he let you drive.. hey anythings possible

Quick Reply: I can't beleive I'm even considering this!!! Opinions Please