2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

hurt 06

Search this Thread

Old 11/11/11, 07:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hurt 06

I would like your opinions on this please. On the 6th of October my car was hit. My tint guy was taking it back to his shop after dropping me off at work and a lady made a right turn from the turn lane and hit him. Needless to say she denied every thing and her insurance is not paying so his shop insurance is fixing the car. As you can see from the pics the door is trashed and the quater pannel is beat up as well. It is in the shop being fixed as we speak. My guy is replacing the entire door shell and he says that he can pull the quater pannel out and fix it. That is the one thing I am concerned about. my repair guy is good but I am afraid it wont be just right.
Attached Thumbnails hurt 06-img_0283.jpg   hurt 06-img_0284.jpg  
Old 11/11/11, 08:21 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
ouch- sorry to see.

I would try to get a look at it PRIOR to filling, after its hammered out- at least require pictures. looks torn, in any event I'd want to see the backside protection before the interior panel goes back in- surely the paint/spotwelds got deformed enough to expose some metal on the inside of the panel, sometimes a royal bear to seal up.

my mom had a new 80 tbird, 500 miles on it, a semi broke a axle and smeared the whole side of her car...500 miles, not even a week old...she had her Ford dealer in Kent Ohio do the repairs, they ended up repainting parts of that poor car 4 or 5 times the next 2 yrs under warranty...anyway, about 20 yrs later at 300k miles(!) she hit a bump one day, something fell off her car- she stopped and picked it up, was a 1" thick chunk of bondo out of the roof, about the size/shape of a football- they didnt hammer that dent at all. I took pics, emailed to dealer, got a spiel assuring how it was done to their safety/quality standards, etc, I wrote back and asked if they would accept 1" of bondo in their new car? never heard back...yeah it stayed stuck on for near 20 yrs, but paint had looked like crap and cracks had shown for years. believe it or not, that poor old 3.8 tbird is still running around town out in colorado...she'd sold it in 01 to a friend, think its on its third set of head gaskets- original timing chain even...>450k now.

Anyways, its only fair they at least give pics prior to fill/paint, should be able to see if welding for pulling dents was done- and get a approximate idea of how well they worked the metal. backside pics would show if they worried about long term too.

exterior appearanc/paintmatch is all 99% of folks care about, but I tend to keep cars forever, and just hate rust...

Hope they do a excellent job on it- just be glad it wasnt a little worse- had the rocker been pushed in, it coulda been time for a new car. also insurance might kick in 'diminished value' amount to you- its only fair as carfax showing repairs will always drop retail value. good luck-
Old 11/11/11, 11:40 PM
Bullitt Member

That's awful. I wouldn't accept it if you don't like how it turns out when fixed. Is it a reputable body shop doing the repairs?
Old 11/12/11, 05:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
fixing that panel shouldn't be any problem at all. Like stated above make sure its all pulled out and as straight as can be before any filler goes on.
Old 11/12/11, 06:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

My guy has done paint work for me before and it has been flawless. He has an excellent reputation in the area. I tend to believe him when he says he can fix it, but i guess I am being paranoid that there will be an issue with it. As far as I can tell the quarter is not ripped. The door skin is ripped for about three inches towards the back. I just want it back to the way it should be, because I am giving the car to my niece when she turns sixteen in two years. She got to pick it out when I got it and has been giving me a hard time about driving it on occasion. :-). She actually took it being damaged better than I thought she would.
Old 11/12/11, 06:57 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Sorry to hear about your damage. I bet every teenage girl wishes she had an uncle like you, that is awesome! IMO she is getting the best Mustang body style ever

I told my grandson that he is getting my Boss 302 when he turns 18, but he has another 16 years to wait.

Last edited by phiggs54; 11/12/11 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11/12/11, 07:02 AM
Bullitt Member

A good body shop will fix that up like new. Pretty simple work actually. If the guys rep is as good as you believe it is, I wouldn't have any issues with them fixing that quarter area. On your final inspection, just make sure the line is continued smoothly down and without dips/pits/high spots in it.

Also, make sure the guy gives you their warranty policy in writing.

Just my .02.
Old 11/12/11, 07:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

I still love the classic looks of the 06, but the new style is really growing on me. I just got a 12 MCA for my youngest niece (only two thankfully). Like her sister she got to pick it out and she chose grabber blue. I know I probably shouldn't be concerned about the 06, because she will probably bang it up when she starts driving. I am just **** about my cars. It did not have a single ding in it, only a few chips int be paint that are being fixed as well.
Old 11/12/11, 02:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hard to tell from the pics but you can probably skin the door and definately repair that quarter. Don't change that quarter for that damage. A good body man, and you'll never see it. Also, the paint is just as important as the body work. Do not go cheap!! Go with a shop that is reputable and works on high end cars.
Old 11/12/11, 02:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Fast duo that is what I thought too, but the shop is replacing the entire door with a brand new ford door. The shop has fixed the trunk on the car where a car wash ripped the t off of the trunk and gouged the paint. You cannot. Tell where it was fixed everything matched perfectly. Miami not worried about the paint match as much as the body work since it is at the side scoop.