2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

How sad is this...........

Search this Thread

Old 10/26/05, 02:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So my car was built last thursday (10/20) with an ETA of week of 11/7. So today (10/26) I get a call from Ford saying my car is in . But it's not supposed to be in for 2 more weeks, and Ford is having a rail car shortage. But it's in? :scratch: I call back. Yup, it's your car and it's in. Are you sure, here's my VIN. Yup, it's yours. So I notify the boss, and off I go. I get there. Nope, not my car. I even read you the freakin VIN. Turns out my second salesman (the first quit) has broken his ankle and needs surgery. So they pass me off to this new guy. He apologized for his mistake, and explained he had some info messed up. So, we went to the "order guy" to find out the status of my car. First, he said, "I think it's built." I told him it is, it was built on 10/20. He looks puzzled. I then ask whens the ETA. He says, "uhh, a week or two." I said, the ERL (I realized Ford employees have no knowledge of the Evil Robot Lady, so another puzzled look) says it should arrive week of 11/7. He stares in awe. I then ask to him get my rail car number. Again, deer in headlights. I show him 800# and tell him to ask for an analyst and get my rail car. He then says, "you're the guy who told us about B16, aren't you." That's me. I was then told maybe I should be running this dealership.

My knowledge > Anyone else's knowledge at the dealership.

I can wait two more weeks, I need to get my financing in order, and today was a reality check that it needs to be done. I own that Ford store
Old 10/26/05, 03:16 PM
GT Member

Sounds typical.
I had the same reactions when I talked about ERL, DORA, and what C/U meant.
Most—not all—salespeople don't know what the eff is going on.
But I have a feeling the dealership keeps it that way on purpose.
The dealership wants to be in control of the potential sale.
And they just LOVE dummies who come in knowing absolutely zippo about cars.
They can smell them from miles away.
The dealership can't have their sales staff (who a lot of times OBVIOUSLY know very little about the cars they sell) slipping up and giving out info to a customer that will ultimately give them an advantage over the dealership. An informed consumer is considered "difficult" by the dealership, because we won't stand for games, scams, and double-speak.

So the dealership doesn't tell sales staff about ERL, or DORA, or other "insider" stuff that has leaked to the Mustang Underworld.

I love being an informed consumer and listening to a salesperson spew for a few minutes. It's an entertaining little game I like to play. I wait for them to finish, then I drop the science on them. The look I get in return ( :shock: ), the marble-mouth, fumbled speech, the nervous laughter, the facial redness...all my rewards for playing this game with them.

Now, there are definitely exceptions.
Ed (ISELLFORD) being one of them.
He definitely breaks the mold.
If I ever want to buy another Ford, I'm not going to Richard around and waste my time with another dealership...I'm giving my business to Ed.
But for the most part, salespeople (in general) get a big fat :notnice: from me.
Old 10/27/05, 01:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

good for you man!! You have to stay on top of them to get your car. Especially if it's a new salesman
Old 10/27/05, 08:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey don't forget to give us some credit too!

Our collective knowledge > dealership employees
Old 11/1/05, 09:38 PM

When I went to my dealership they had not even seen the order info for the 2006s yet. I had to tell them about the pony package for the v6. Don't these people look online for info on their own products???

When my car came in they didn't even know it was on the lot till I called them