2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

How does the import resistance percieve us?

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/05, 11:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ROFL! Sorry you got slammed like that Rene. YES, those folks are WAY out of control. It's a rough place to chat that makes "other mustang forums" look like a game of candy land (which can be difficult mind you).

Autoweek is NOT for the tame of heart. The folks over there are so dug in that they don't know the truth, only their version. No matter WHAT you sad to them you'll never change their minds only inflame them more.

That's why I avoided the discussion. I've tried posting over there before and for those that kept up, it got nasty. I posted about how torque is a legitimate force to be considered equal to or even above HP most times, yet is too often overlooked (as they LOVE to do). I'll spare the details.

As most anyone knows by now (I feel like a broken record the # of times I say this), My family engrained in me that American cars = bad and Import cars = good. Most importantly to them - Toyota = good. The last american car in my family was my dad's 1970 (and some odd) Pontiac Grand Prix (I think that was the car). He LOVED it. said it was a tank, was fast, and was cool. They sold it during the gas crisis to conserve fuel AND to prepare for a family. They baught a Toyota Carona (yes, like the beer) as a familly car. Since then... nothing but Toyota has graced my father's garage.

A few years ago, I learned of my hidden passion with cars and baught a 1966 Mustang to restore. I caught the Mustang fever and fell in love with it. I started looking at the American brands to see what I was missing (which aside from the mustang, camaro and firebird, there wasn't much else). As quality began to rise and style began to return, I found the Chrysler 300 and Magnum coming. Suddenly the Mustang was to follow and Style was returning to American automakers. YAY!

I ended up buying my 05 in December, and I LOVE the car. I have Lots riding on it though. Being in an all Toyota family, this car has to PROVE that American cars can hold up - else I'll be taking a beating the rest of my days. My family loves the way the car looks though. They think it slick, although aren't ready to instill any faith in the american makers yet.

All that being said... I respect ALL automakers for their various successes. I think that anyone that attempts to say that the Mustang isn't a hit or that it's ugly (everyone is entitled to their opinion I suppose) should be lumped into the same crowd of folks that would turn and trash the import cars.

Ultimately, you have to go with what you like. Having an opinion isn't bad. what IS bad is trashing someone elses opinion just to justify your own purchases. No one cares why you like a nissan Z more. If that's the car you want, then enjoy. Don't make things up about a car and declare it ugly just so that you can feel better about your purchase, or perhaps about the fact that you don't own one.
Old 7/22/05, 11:08 AM
Banned

Glad to be back to reality on this forum......Whew...there is no love there at all.

Oh, and thanks Kevin for the Aviator comment.....
Old 7/22/05, 11:15 AM
Cobra Member

no problem Rene'

and Phillip I grew up the opposite of you my dad is an avid Ford man, he restored three 1966 T-Birds and my older brothers cars were Mustangs, my first car was a hand me down 1980 Capri from my brother. So I have always been around American cars.
That is until I got married in 1990, my wife and her family are import people, Toyota,Honda,Nissan...well i traded my second car 86 Mustang to please the wife and in-laws...a few years ago i fell in love with the Focus bought the first year model which was a pos and i swore never to buy another Ford, opting for a 02 Nissan Altima which was incredible...but then the 05 Mustang was released and my passion, love affair with the Stang has been re-lit...
Old 7/22/05, 12:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Glad to be back to reality on this forum......Whew...there is no love there at all.
well Rene, as you've found out, most of the world is filled with inconsiderate jerks with no concern for anyone but themselves. Keep that in mind when you're driving home today (or the next time you're out and about). Odds are The person sitting in the car next to you in traffic feels the same way.

This forum is the best place to come to enjoy not only Mustangs, but ALL cars. The folks that are around on here are the best I've met in an online community. The mods do a stellar job of keeping it clean and relaxed, but they don't go TOO far. I have seen forums that go so far as to sensor people for using too many smilies. They are childishly looking for excuses to attack someone. Not cool. Not Fun.

This is my favorite place to be!

EDIT:
and Phillip I grew up the opposite of you my dad is an avid Ford man, he restored three 1966 T-Birds and my older brothers cars were Mustangs, my first car was a hand me down 1980 Capri from my brother. So I have always been around American cars.
Diversity is what makes this place so cool. People like us that started with totally different backgrounds have slid back and forth across the fence and here we are shaking hands on the same side.

Amazing how a Mustang has that effect, no?
Old 7/22/05, 12:52 PM
Bullitt Member

I read the whole thread and I wasn't mad....just amazed there were that many 12 year olds that visited that board...

Jay
Old 7/22/05, 12:58 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Lime05owner@July 22, 2005, 2:55 PM
I read the whole thread and I wasn't mad....just amazed there were that many 12 year olds that visited that board...

Jay
I will take a guess and say that most of those people never owned an American Car, just read about it.
Old 7/22/05, 01:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

How does the Import resistance percieve us huh?

Well I know exactly how I percieve them so I couldn't give a rats *** how they percieve me.

I just laughed at the entire thing. When you have to resort to saying the headlights look cheap for an insult, I take that as a compliment.

Have you seen the new Mustang? It has a 300hp V-8, great looks and it's only $25,000!

Dude that car is a piece!!!!!! Have you seen the headlight casing?
Old 7/22/05, 01:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, being a foreigner myself (I am Swiss(-italian)), I can as well say that not all people outside the US are making fun and/or making derogatory comments about the new Mustang.
As a matter of fact, I have been active in the major italian car magazine (called Quattroruote) forum since they activated a thread about the new Mustang back in november '04: I surely had to "battle" some id*ots that were trying to thrash talk the Mustang, the american car industry and the USA in general (my nickname there is "ProudtobeintheUSA", I hope it says it all...) for their own (stup*d) reasons, but I found a real good number of people that are desperately trying to import a Mustang for themselves and love it to the extreme !
Don't let a bunch of retards at autoweek turn you off from people outside the USA, I feel those fellas at the Autoweek forum are just a minority, thank God...
Old 7/22/05, 02:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Wait a second...is by the way this website (Autoweek) from the US ? I thought it was Autoweek from the UK...
Old 7/22/05, 04:34 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have perused the autoweek forums and think the majority of people there are not the sharpest knives in the drawer... I could care lese what they think.
Old 7/22/05, 04:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by PonyGirl@July 22, 2005, 12:55 PM
No prob!!

I love this site, I love you guys, and most of all.

I love the 2005 Mustang!!!!

Enough said!!
And I love what you've done with your GT!!! Must be a really fun ride! :worship:
Old 7/22/05, 09:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Whenever I see idiots like that bashing the Mustang for stupid or inaccurate reasons, I just point them to this year's Grand Am Cup Series championship race, where Mustang is running away from BMW, Porsche, and Nissan, and DOMINATING the GS class. You really can't argue with racing results.

http://www.grandamerican.com/Standings/

(Multimatics Motorsports is the team running the Mustangs)
Old 7/22/05, 09:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you look at the standings, Ford is leading the manufacturers, the number one team races mustangs, and the number one driver drives a mustang. Yeah, the new mustang is a POS all right.
Old 7/22/05, 09:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

So far my new Mustang has had less problems then my 03 6spd Accord in its first year. (knock on wood) That baby had a lot of TSBs and was a rattle trap.