2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Hey Bill Ford

Search this Thread

Old 2/13/05, 09:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally posted by Boomer@February 13, 2005, 10:50 AM
'make more'
Whether that is or not possible, it would cost more in the longrun to up production, only to have that dwindle in the future as the supply/demand curve comes down.
It's funny you should mention that. On "Autoline Detroit" this morning they were discussing this very subject. Automakers have been bitten in the past by ramping up production of a popular model too fast and then have demand drop off later. Chrysler got bit with the PT Cruiser so now with the 300C, they're not being as quick to to up production. It's quite a large capital investment to increase capacity on a car line and if the volume isn't sustained, they end with either unused capacity or spending even more money to retool for a different car.
Old 2/13/05, 10:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@February 13, 2005, 10:52 AM
I was only stating that FMC should not develop a bad attitude that some dealers have had. I agree paying over MSRP is a waste, that was only used to illustrate the poor attitude regarding the car and customer relations. The point is that if Ford is facing the decision of wheather they should have happy customers or happy dealers, it makes more sense to have happy customers. Why?... Because happy dealers will not guarantee that there will be customers to buy the cars. However, happy customers will guarantee that dealers will still exist to sell the cars. They'll still want to make the money.
Part of the issue is the fact that you are the dealerships customer. The dealership is Ford's customer. You may only buy 1 car every couple of years, the dealer buys a few thousand a year. Be it right or wrong thats the reality.
Old 2/13/05, 10:46 AM
GT Member

My T/A took 6 1/2 months to get in 99 when the St. Therese plant was on strike. Plus GM's ordering system was totally ridiculous. I'll spare you all the drawn out details, basically the point is it stinked. The only nice thing about theirs vs. Fords was when you initally ordered the car you could order exactly what you wanted instead of what they thought looked good (ie color combos, axle ratios, etc.) After your order was placed, your car may as well have been on Mars until it got here though, cause there was no tracking whatsoever.

So far my wait for the 05 has been almost 4 months. It was supposedly built last week (not confirmed yet) but I can't really complain. My dealer has given me constant updates on the status, so that's been nice. I ordered my car through fleet sales and it was in the first group of orders pulled after the IUP bs was over with. Don't know if that makes any difference but I'll throw it out there. Funny thing is I'm buying mine at invoice and the same dealer is selling their in-stock GTs at MSRP+$3500. I just find that incredibly ridiculous. hmmm that's about a $5000 difference, I think I can wait a couple more weeks haha!
Old 2/13/05, 11:29 AM
Bullitt Member

the factory knows it's a customer order because they can see that it is a x-plan
and it should be pulled before stock orders
ordered 12-13-04 c/u
Old 2/13/05, 11:38 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by redstang@February 13, 2005, 12:32 PM
the factory knows it's a customer order because they can see that it is a x-plan
and it should be pulled before stock orders
ordered 12-13-04 c/u
It's still up to the dealer though, if the dealer puts his stock orders at a higher priority than your x-plan order, the stock orders will get filled first. The system isn't perfect, just how it is. I got lucky, I found a dealer with a large allocation and I was the first order in the November allocation and my order got pulled and scheduled a week after I ordered.
Old 2/13/05, 02:22 PM
Bullitt Member

The point I was making is the factory does know that it is a retail order. The customer name is on the order. It was said earlier that the factory doesn't if it is a retail or stock order. My dealer has one GT allocation a month which stinks.
So I wait. I should be next one to get pulled end of Feb, or March :angry:
Old 2/13/05, 02:50 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Again, that still goes back to the dealer.
Say for example someone orders, but the dealer puts the priority higher than stock order....its not up to the factory to decide why...its the dealer? Ya get it?

For example:
Say for arguments sake a dealer gets 5 allocated for the month.
Dealer puts your order at priority #15, and 10-14 are for the dealership.
Why may you ask....
He KNOWS yours is sold, and as soon as it comes in its gone.
If he has no others on the lot, he can put them ahead of yours and have SOMETHING customers can gawk at and test drive to sell even MORE of that car.

Or another reason could be the customer at the dealership REQUESTS the priority to be later than others, as he wants to order, keep his price locked, but not pick it up RIGHT AWAY for whatever reason.

or yet another reason, the dealer is a moron.

Take your pick...but MY point,
is that its not the factories job to decipher or comprehend WHY and what order priorities are....
its not their job....its the dealerships.
Old 2/13/05, 03:02 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Boomer@February 13, 2005, 3:53 PM

or yet another reason, the dealer is a moron.

This is the case that you dealer moves your car down on the priority list instead of up. Its funny how you can go from priority 17 (6 mustangs in front of you) to priority 41 (11 mustangs in front of you) in just one week, after already waiting 3 months. I think the little X next to my name was what did it.
Old 2/13/05, 03:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bill_brenda@February 12, 2005, 11:59 PM
Actual I'm complaining about the fact that I see people with orders placed in oct and nov not being pulled and orders placed in mid jan being pulled. Ive only waited 5 weeks so far, was suppose to be 6 to 8 weeks(no way), even if pulled next thursday night it will be another 4 to 6 weeks.. Any way I really think ford's order system stink's. It's not the dealer, it's ford.
When I ordered my Mustang on 10/20 the dealer told me the car would arrive in 6 weeks. With all the IUP and Spoiler issues the car was'nt scheduled for build until week of 12/13 which was almost 8 weeks into the order.

As to your complaints about your order waiting to be pulled for build while orders placed AFTER yours I know how you feel as I felt the same way watching other people that ordered in November posting pictures of their cars while I was stuck in 'TEMP DELAY IN PRODUCTION'.

But as others have said already, when you finally get the car your going to love it and probably say 'it was worth the wait'. I know I did.
Old 2/13/05, 07:50 PM
cti
V6 Member

First off I agree with everything about the web site. And everybody can't blame the dealers for the delivery problems. there are five dealerships in my area and none of them have a single gt and out of all of them there has been only three since the car was made available. All of these dealers want the cars as bad as we do cause they can't keep them on the lot. that is a dealers dream.
Old 2/14/05, 02:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

It is interesting that this has been one thread where I agree with just about every post. I think we all have vaild points of view.

While I don't feel Ford's order system is entirely fair, the bottom line really seems to be that Ford choked when it came to market research. They have WAY overbuilt non-IUP V6s (they are sitting unsold at each of the many Ford stores I've been to) and WAY underbuilt GTs and IUP cars. The materials shortages should have been detected and resolved far in advance of Job1!

I'm sure Ford is very aware of this and the fact they have impatient customers who have bought competitor's products after getting tired of waiting for a GT.

In my case, if my wait goes on past May, I'll probably just switch my order to an '06 to increase my resale value. My GT will then be one model year "newer"
when I finally get it.
Old 2/14/05, 07:06 AM
GT Member

Someone mentioned that Mustangs that get built for Hertz take a priority. That may or may not be true. But, the Hertz rental fleet is made up almost entirely of V6 Mustangs, which there are no shortage of at the dealerships.
Old 2/14/05, 07:16 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

well..
Old 2/14/05, 07:45 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
You should have made your post #2 instead of #53. You are forgiven April... this time.

But, better late than never.
Old 2/14/05, 08:20 AM
Cobra Member

I'd like some cheese... would you like some cheese?
Old 2/14/05, 08:27 AM

Only if it's aged and imported. Gourmet crackers would be nice too.

Old 2/14/05, 08:33 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@February 14, 2005, 11:30 AM
Only if it's aged and imported. Gourmet crackers would be nice too.

*pfft* It's squeeze cheese and I guess Ritz crackers aren't good enough for your sassy hiney (OWNED by the word censor thingie)
Old 2/14/05, 09:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally posted by graphicguy@February 14, 2005, 8:09 AM
Someone mentioned that Mustangs that get built for Hertz take a priority. That may or may not be true. But, the Hertz rental fleet is made up almost entirely of V6 Mustangs, which there are no shortage of at the dealerships.

I would also assume the Hertz cars don't have IUP either. I really doubt Hertz is stinking production away from other customers (unless of course you want a V6 with cloth seats, automatic, and no IUP).
Old 2/14/05, 09:55 AM
cti
V6 Member

Originally posted by Amy V6@February 14, 2005, 9:23 AM

Once again someone adding comments to a discussion just to see there name on the screen.
Old 2/14/05, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by cti+February 14, 2005, 11:58 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cti @ February 14, 2005, 11:58 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Amy V6@February 14, 2005, 9:23 AM

Once again someone adding comments to a discussion just to see there name on the screen.
[/b][/quote]

"Amy V6" is not, I repeat. IS NOT to be confused with "cti".

Quick Reply: Hey Bill Ford