2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Hesitation after deacceloration

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/05, 11:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last night it happened to me... again! I was cruising home on the highway and came to the exit for my street (which happens to branch off the highway on the left and forces you to cross on-coming traffic). I slowed down in second gear, cruising at around 50kph when I saw a break in the traffic coming towards me... a small break, but a break none-the-less. So, still cruising in second, I plant the throttle only to be rewarded with the car falling on its face while the on-coming traffic was racing towards me. A half-second or so later, the car took off at full throttle, which is what my foot had been ordering the whole time. That's the only time so far that the throttle lag has come close to getting me killed... all the other times, it's just been annoying.

I demand a fix from Ford! No car should ignore the driver's inputs, regardless of how asinine those inputs might be to the computer. Who's in charge? Certainly not the d@mn car! :angry:
Old 6/12/05, 02:25 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by blackhat97@December 1, 2004, 7:27 AM
Yes it's the drive-by-wire throttle. I recently read about it in the December issue of Mustang Monthy. They commented that under normal acceleration the hesitation is not noticeable but during a gun-it they too had the "hesitation". Unlike traditional throttles where the gas pedal is physically connected, with the drive-by-wire there is no physical connection, it's all electronic. A sensor reads the amount of pedal pressure and the computer responds accordingly. Hopefully Ford is working on their software to correct this problem.

the drive by wire throttle linkage system is necessitated by the federal emmissions requirments. the engine management ecu controls the amount of throttle input to the injectors. IF all parameters being monitored by the engine management ecu are not "ideal" for the lowest possible emmissions, then you will get hesitation. that's the way the system is designed. if the tempeature of the engine coolant isn't within parameters, if the temperature of the incoming air charge is too high or too low these conditions will prompt a "hesitation" episode...

alot of new car owners (everything from bmw to toyotas) are reporting these types of complaints...this is the future for ALL new car owners. since dbw will become standard across the board on all new cars in the very near future. in some cases, you must alter your driving style to accomodate the electronics of the car...especially for some people with particular drivings "styles" or habits...what the ecu is trying to do is "smooth" out the throttle application...this makes for lower emmissions....so unfortunately; get used to the hesitation blues. jackg 90seville 97k
Old 6/12/05, 05:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by justgreat@June 12, 2005, 3:28 AM
the drive by wire throttle linkage system is necessitated by the federal emmissions requirments. the engine management ecu controls the amount of throttle input to the injectors. IF all parameters being monitored by the engine management ecu are not "ideal" for the lowest possible emmissions, then you will get hesitation. that's the way the system is designed. if the tempeature of the engine coolant isn't within parameters, if the temperature of the incoming air charge is too high or too low these conditions will prompt a "hesitation" episode...

alot of new car owners (everything from bmw to toyotas) are reporting these types of complaints...this is the future for ALL new car owners. since dbw will become standard across the board on all new cars in the very near future. in some cases, you must alter your driving style to accomodate the electronics of the car...especially for some people with particular drivings "styles" or habits...what the ecu is trying to do is "smooth" out the throttle application...this makes for lower emmissions....so unfortunately; get used to the hesitation blues. jackg 90seville 97k

Good info justgreat.

But it's BS.
Ok, given all these things have to be just right for things to work properly, then Ford should build it so they are just right.

I have had my GT a little over a month.
Not once have I experienced this.
If I did, it would be in the shop.
I would also think this would be a major safety issue as in the incident described.

Take the car back and tell them to get it right.
Don't ask.

It's not normal. If it is, then my car is a rare breed.
Old 6/18/05, 06:41 PM
GT Member

I experienced this twice in the last 2 weeks. The first time, I had just started my car, backed up the driveway, and off I "tried" to go. The car bucked badly moving forward, I pressed the clutch, tried it again, and it bucked yet again. Then it cleared and everything was fine.

Now this afternoon, after a lenghty highway drive, I coasted to a stop, then tried to pull away... The car bucked, pused the clutch in, shifted second, bucking again... Got mad, redlined the car, no problem :angry: :bang:
Old 6/18/05, 09:35 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your car is bucking because you're not giving it enough gas
Old 6/18/05, 11:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

In stock tune the computer holds the throttle open in all sorts of situations :notnice:

Adjust your driving style or mod it . . . . . . .
Old 6/18/05, 11:39 PM
Cobra R Member

I rented a V6 (auto) vert a few weeks back and i noticed the same thing.If this is gonna be the norm,then there are gonna be alot of dead people.Saying adjust your driving style is nuts! Sometimes the only way to avoid a accident is to excellerate as fast as possible.

Sure hope this isn't the norm,or it may be a deal breaker for me...
Old 6/20/05, 11:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

So far the only time I experience this hesitation is in 5th gear. It happens 100% of the time when I put the pedal down fast (i.e no downshift needed, just going from 55 to 65). Pedal down, pause, car accelerates. Of course now that I wrote this it'll probably start happening in other gears too.

Now the blue exhaust I saw float by me at start up yesterday has me concerned...
Old 6/20/05, 11:28 AM
Bullitt Member

I've had this happen to me many times Me not knowing alot about cars i thought the car just had a poor throttle response, Its good to know this is not the case, hopefully Ford will come up with some kind of fix for this, it is very aggervating to give it a little extra gas and it go idle on you, could also be very dangerous!

I do have a question though, Is the only way to have actual proof of this happening is having the servive engine light on? Or does Ford know about the hesitation?
Old 6/20/05, 11:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

HorsC Posted Today, 01:31 PM
I do have a question though, Is the only way to have actual proof of this happening is having the servive engine light on? Or does Ford know about the hesitation?
No warning lights have ever come on in my car. I suggest when taking your car to the dealer for this to have a tech go for a ride along with you so they can experience the problem as well.
Old 6/20/05, 12:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Had it happen to me on Sat for the first time. Took a buddy for a ride to show off the C&L and tune, hit it and the tcs kicked in shifting into third. It flashed on the message center, for a second I thought I had hit the rev limiter. Feels very weird when it happens when you are nailing it.
Old 6/20/05, 06:28 PM
Bullitt Member

I turn off the TCS on my GTO every time I get in. I'll be doing the same on the Mustang.

The only time I will leave it on is driving in the wet.
Old 6/20/05, 08:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by HorsC@June 20, 2005, 11:31 AM
I've had this happen to me many times Me not knowing alot about cars i thought the car just had a poor throttle response, Its good to know this is not the case, hopefully Ford will come up with some kind of fix for this, it is very aggervating to give it a little extra gas and it go idle on you, could also be very dangerous!

Ok so do the Ford Dealers know about this problem? Or is their a solution they have implicated(<--Sp?) I have been having squeaky brakes and am taking my car in for it this week, I have also had popping struts. Other than having a tech ride with me what can they do to fix the problem or is there anything they can do at this time?
Old 6/20/05, 08:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok so do the Ford Dealers know about this problem? Or is their a solution they have implicated(<--Sp?) I have been having squeaky brakes and am taking my car in for it this week, I have also had popping struts.I honestly don't want to look like an overly paranoid new owner. So other than having a tech ride with me what can they do to fix the problem or is there anything they can do at this time? I would much rather wait until i know they have something they can do to fix it than bother telling them about it now and them thinking i don't know what i'm talking about.
Old 6/21/05, 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Flyinlow@June 20, 2005, 6:31 PM
I turn off the TCS on my GTO every time I get in. I'll be doing the same on the Mustang.

The only time I will leave it on is driving in the wet.
I also keep the TC off unless it's really nasty outside. The car still misbehaves with the TC off. You'll see...
Old 6/21/05, 06:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Did you mean with it on? I hope it misbehaves when its off!
Old 6/21/05, 09:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had this problem on vacation just this week. Cruising at 75 for an hour, get off the exit ramp, bucks hard three times at the light when taking off. Fist time I thought it was me. The next time I made it a point to rev to 2K and start going. Same thing. Next ramp I made sure that TCS was off. Same thing.

I have a 5sp and know how to drive it btw.
Old 7/5/05, 04:43 PM
Bullitt Member

This happens to me too. At first it did it like all the time. I thought that something was wrong and that if i turned tcs off it was broken and still on. I did the chrysler 300c hesitation fix i found on another thread( get in car, turn ignition to on, wait for interior lights to go off, push down on the gas pedal at moderate speed down to floor and immediately let up, turn ignition to off, wait 5 secs, turn engine on and drive) took the hesitation off when merging on highway at around 50-60mph but slower than that I still get a hesitation and it seems to do it more on turns. But the 300c fix definately helps more than before. It would hesitate all the time..especially when merging on the interstate. It seems to do it more also when I have the AC on.
Old 7/5/05, 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

I read in one of the Mustang mags that the Spanish Oak processor is programmed to instruct the drive by wire to close the throttle if it detects an abnormality in one of sensors supplying it engine data in order to save the engine from damage. It also occasionally sends out a error code on purpose as an internal audit of the system... this can happen anytime. When it does, the throttle will close momentarily as if there was an actual fault occuring. What I'm wondering is, since the hesitation only happens once in a while, perhaps it's this self-diagnosis that the computer does that's causing it. Thoughts?
Old 7/6/05, 11:48 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't know much about cars but i sure as heck know this problem is aggervating! Do the Ford techs have any kind of program that they can plug into our computer or ANYTHING to fix this problem? I hate trying to pass someone and it hesitating! Or simply getting on it to merge or something! It makes me look/feel like a bad driver!!(something i hate!) COME ON FORD FIGURE OUT A SOLUTION! please!?

Quick Reply: Hesitation after deacceloration