2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Hesitation after deacceloration

Search this Thread

Old 12/1/04, 09:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've noticed the hesitation once, and a friend that drove mine said he had the same thing happen. Already moving, I floored it and there was a long pause before the downshift and acceleration. During that time, the car was basically idling, so it wasn't just an auto tranny thing. My first thought was the drive-by-wire system having a hiccup.

Jason
Old 12/1/04, 10:03 AM
V6 Member

To me this is nothing new. I'm suprised to hear about it on the '05 though. My '98 has done this since day 1. On the freeway if I run it up in 2nd or 3rd, just let it back down on compresion, and then jump into it again it gets this same hesitation. I had it looked at LOOOONG ago, but they didn't find anything. Since it's a somewhat rare occurance, I just ignored it. Since it happens on my '98 and on the '05, I'd say it's some computer issue. Strang it hasn't gone away.
Old 12/1/04, 10:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Paul's Performance has a chip mod that will fix this, there web site is http://www.paulshp.com/
Old 12/1/04, 10:22 AM

Sounds definitely like a problem with the ECU or drive-by-wire or both. I wouldn't doubt that somebody will develop a solution for this, whether it be Ford, or Ford Racing, or other aftermarket companys like Diablo.
Old 12/1/04, 10:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Took it into my dealer today. Happened last night and less than 100 miles ago. Mine is a automatic and did not hit fuel shut off. They said there were no codes and Ford said nobody had any info on this so just see if it happens again. So I hit a dead end, anyone make progress let me know.
Old 12/1/04, 11:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

When I test drove a GT it fell on it's butt on the second to third shift getting on the highway. I Wondered if I had hit the limiter but I was not rapping it out. Maybe I experienced this Computer Glitch? It was definitely something.
Old 12/1/04, 07:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

This is a potential embarrasment for the stop light drag crowd. Wouldn't want to get dusted by an RSX because of a drive-by-wire (or other glitch).

Ford had better NOT stonewall on this issue or they're going to lose the points they've been trying so hard to regain with customers. I guess we'll see if the corporate culture vis-a-vis consumer satisfaction has REALLY changed at the Blue Oval.
Old 12/2/04, 08:02 AM
Cobra Member

I'm not bashing the Mustang, but I had a 2002 Vette, which also had the drive by wire throttle. It never displayed any of these characteristics, and was always very responsive to throttle input. I'm starting to get a little worried since I have an 05 on order and hate taking stuff back to the dealer for them to break something else.

Below is the link to the throttle beginning to close before peak rpm:

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthr...?t=18769&page=1
Old 12/2/04, 10:08 AM
GT Member

Mine did almost the samething but it only happened one time and has never happened again...I was at a stop light making a right hand turn.. the traffic cleared and I started to go.. The car started to go..Then it was like it just went dead for about a second it picked itself back up and has never done it again in the last 400 miles... I had forgoten all about it.. till I read this thread... Sounds like a update is in order
Old 12/2/04, 07:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Radman@December 1, 2004, 9:53 AM
I've noticed the hesitation once, and a friend that drove mine said he had the same thing happen. Already moving, I floored it and there was a long pause before the downshift and acceleration. During that time, the car was basically idling, so it wasn't just an auto tranny thing. My first thought was the drive-by-wire system having a hiccup.

Jason
That could have just been the tranny tho. Back in 95 or so I had an Altima as a loaner while my car was getting fixed up. It was an auto, and I could hammer it from a stop when a light turned green, and I swear it was like 1-2 seconds before the car did ANYTHING. No engine rev, movement or anything. Give me stickshift any day of the week.
Old 12/2/04, 07:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Stubbies+December 2, 2004, 8:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Stubbies @ December 2, 2004, 8:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Radman@December 1, 2004, 9:53 AM

Jason
That could have just been the tranny tho. Back in 95 or so I had an Altima as a loaner while my car was getting fixed up. It was an auto, and I could hammer it from a stop when a light turned green, and I swear it was like 1-2 seconds before the car did ANYTHING. No engine rev, movement or anything. Give me stickshift any day of the week. [/b][/quote]
Thing is, it wasn't from a stop. It was coming out of a corner after deaccelerating. It's more than just a downshift problem, the car doesn't accelerate at all, it's like it isn't in gear and the motor doesn't rev. It's not a huge deal unless I'm pulling out to pass someone. I expect, and usually get, instantaneous power. I'm sure it will get worked out. It's tempting to try the whole battery disconnect thing and see if that works.

Jason
Old 12/2/04, 11:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

This is also potentially a VERY DANGEROUS problem. Imagine if you pull out to pass on a two lane highway...and you gauge your ability to make the pass before oncoming traffic reaches you based upon the Stang's acceleration ability...and the car doesn't do anything. Yikes!

I'm sick of domestics being the laughing stock of the import crowd, precisely because of continual issues like this.

The Stang never should have shipped with this problem undiscovered. Are you listening, Ford?!
Old 12/3/04, 02:25 AM
Cobra R Member

question:

is this happening on both GT and V6?

starting to think i might hold off till 06 if these problems continue to be raised...
Old 12/3/04, 04:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

I planned on waiting til '06 anyway so any potential bugs could be worked out - I think this definitely qualifies! What bothers me is that Ford hasn't issued any kind of a statement (or planned fix) regarding this issue yet.
Old 12/3/04, 06:37 AM
Cobra Member

I find it difficult to believe Ford seems to be unaware of the problem, especially with as much testing as they've "reportedly" done. It isn't going to be a quick fix, if the computer isn't setting any codes. The biggest problem is it is going to be very difficult to duplicate the problem if you take the car in for service. I'd also think they knew about the issues with the gas pumps shutting off when fueling the cars.

I mentioned this earlier, but I have an '05 on order and I'm beginning to think I will decline delivery of it because I'm concerned it may have this potentially dangerous problem. Unless, of course, Ford comes up with a solution in the next month. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 12/3/04, 07:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Realistically, it isn't a dangerous problem and I'm not upset at all. If your passing on a two-lane and it's so close that you are relying on the acceleration to get you by, then it really isn't time to pass. It's not that big of deal, just an annoyance IMO.

Jason
Old 12/3/04, 08:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mine wasn't a stop either. I have a GT too. I came off the thruway from 65MPH slowed to 10MPH through toll booth and then when I punched it it hesitated 3 times in a row before it took off as it should.
Old 12/3/04, 10:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Is the hesitation only happening to auto's? I have an auto.

Jason
Old 12/3/04, 10:06 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Radman@December 3, 2004, 1:07 PM
Is the hesitation only happening to auto's? I have an auto.

Jason
Well its not really possible for it to happen on a manual, since you are syncing the gears yourself, so yes.
Old 12/3/04, 10:11 AM
GT Member

Mines A Stick!!! But like I said it only happened the one time..It had less then 100 miles on it.. and now it has over 600 miles on it with out a problem... B)

Quick Reply: Hesitation after deacceloration