2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation after deacceloration

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/04, 04:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could swear this has been talked about here but I did several searches and can't find it. Today with 700 miles I came off the thruway at the toll booth (deacceloration) went through at 10MPOH then punched it lightly and the car had a major hesitation as if you turned off the key for a secnd, did this three times in a row and then took off. Any ideas or what the latest on this? Luckly I'm taking it in tomorrow for its first oil change at the dealer and wanted to offer anything we might have. Thanks
Old 11/30/04, 05:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Maybe it's got something to do with that ECU flash everyone's gonna need? Dunno...
Old 11/30/04, 05:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by tekman13@November 30, 2004, 6:07 PM
Maybe it's got something to do with that ECU flash everyone's gonna need? Dunno...
ECU FLASH?
Old 11/30/04, 05:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by bpmurr+November 30, 2004, 6:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bpmurr @ November 30, 2004, 6:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tekman13@November 30, 2004, 6:07 PM
ECU FLASH? [/b][/quote]
Yeah, read this one:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=10300

Talks about it towards the end.
Old 11/30/04, 05:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by tekman13@November 30, 2004, 8:07 PM
Its not everyone, just some cars.
Old 11/30/04, 05:24 PM
rex
Mach 1 Member

I think the car is shot...I'll give you 1500. for it though just to prove I'm a nice guy! B)
Old 11/30/04, 05:39 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a suggestion on this one. Often times at toll plazas, because people have to slow down, a decent amount of oil builds up on the roadway in these areas, you could've picked up oil thereby causing the TCS to engage and shut the motor down. Once the oil was off the tires and you were clear of the oil source, traction control no longer had issues.

If it never happened before, I'd bet this is the issue.
Old 11/30/04, 05:56 PM

We drove ours to P.A. from FL and right around S. Carolina, we came to an idle and it was idling up and down. It went away after about a minute. I meant to have it checked when we were up there, but really wanted to have it checked here at home.
Old 12/1/04, 01:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by upstate@November 30, 2004, 5:57 PM
I could swear this has been talked about here but I did several searches and can't find it. Today with 700 miles I came off the thruway at the toll booth (deacceloration) went through at 10MPOH then punched it lightly and the car had a major hesitation as if you turned off the key for a secnd, did this three times in a row and then took off. Any ideas or what the latest on this? Luckly I'm taking it in tomorrow for its first oil change at the dealer and wanted to offer anything we might have. Thanks
I've had it happen twice, and it IS a dramatic loss off power. Both times it happened during hard acceleration,in 2nd gear, on right turns, with TCS on. I've tried for the past week to duplicate the occurence (with TCS on and off) but hasn't happened since? Car is going in thursday for oil change, I'll have it checked. My hunch is TCs, but funny nonetheless
Old 12/1/04, 02:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Just blast thru the toll plaza and you'll have no problems
Old 12/1/04, 03:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by frankswildyears@December 1, 2004, 2:27 AM
I've had it happen twice, and it IS a dramatic loss off power. Both times it happened during hard acceleration,in 2nd gear, on right turns, with TCS on.
Funny you should say this, because my buddy said the same thing happened to him during our test drive. He hammered it in second gear...no acceleration. He hates domestic cars, so I just assumed he was bullshznitzing me for the hay of it.

But he also commented that at high speed on the highway...after reducing speed...that the car didn't decelerate as quickly as it ought to have.

I'm thinking it's a problem with the drive-by-wire throttle control, which is new for Ford this year. Either way, let's hope there's a quick fix before the import crowd start chanting, "We told you domestic quality stinks!"
Old 12/1/04, 06:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by frankswildyears@December 1, 2004, 2:27 AM

and it IS a dramatic loss off power. Both times it happened during hard acceleration,
Same here. But only once for me in First gear. I thought it might have been a limiter or something, since it was red lined. But then engine ramped down quickly. I shifted, and it picked right back up like nothing happened.

A week and a half later, it has never happened again.
Old 12/1/04, 06:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Yes it's the drive-by-wire throttle. I recently read about it in the December issue of Mustang Monthy. They commented that under normal acceleration the hesitation is not noticeable but during a gun-it they too had the "hesitation". Unlike traditional throttles where the gas pedal is physically connected, with the drive-by-wire there is no physical connection, it's all electronic. A sensor reads the amount of pedal pressure and the computer responds accordingly. Hopefully Ford is working on their software to correct this problem.
Old 12/1/04, 07:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Mine was not a hesitation in the beginning. I gunned it after a stop light to get on the highway. After accelerating to the top of first gear, it then hesitated.
Old 12/1/04, 07:29 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Robert@December 1, 2004, 4:05 AM

But he also commented that at high speed on the highway...after reducing speed...that the car didn't decelerate as quickly as it ought to have.

What your buddy is not figuring out is that when you have a 4 cylendar engine wound up to 6K RPMs, it's going to decelerate a lot faster than a relatively low compression V8 running at 3K RPMs. Besides that, I know for emissions reasons, when decelerating, the computer is maintaining the fuel flow so that it will properly burn on deceleration instead of dumping unspent fuel into the exhaust.

I'm thinkin' your buddy has a funny perspective on what to complain about.
Old 12/1/04, 07:33 AM
Cobra Member

oh, BTW, Robert (I'm not by any means pickin' on you) but the "drive-by-wire" throttle control has been used on the Power Stroke since '96 or 97. It was tested and proven before they applied it to this.
Old 12/1/04, 08:47 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Kluski@December 1, 2004, 8:07 AM
Mine was not a hesitation in the beginning. I gunned it after a stop light to get on the highway. After accelerating to the top of first gear, it then hesitated.
Could you have hit the fuel shutoff? I also read somewhere (can't find the site or link) that the throttle body closes some between shifts to possilby save the tranny. Tuning apparently can remove this. I'm wondering if you were feeling the effects of either of these.
Old 12/1/04, 09:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by lodom+December 1, 2004, 9:50 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lodom @ December 1, 2004, 9:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Kluski@December 1, 2004, 8:07 AM
Could you have hit the fuel shutoff? I also read somewhere (can't find the site or link) that the throttle body closes some between shifts to possilby save the tranny. Tuning apparently can remove this. I'm wondering if you were feeling the effects of either of these. [/b][/quote]
Didn't hit the shutoff. Didn't move until it hesitated. It also happened before I shifted. When it did, I up-shifted to 2nd. Then it picked back up.
Old 12/1/04, 09:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Kluski@December 1, 2004, 6:07 AM
That's the rev limiter... I've bumped off it more times than I'd like to admit. I'm getting better at shifting around 5700rpm in first (which, my gut feel tells me, is resulting in better acceleration), but occasionally I'm on it and hit the rev limiter because the power drop-off after 6000rpm isn't dramatic like on some other cars.
Old 12/1/04, 09:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by M1Rifle+December 1, 2004, 10:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (M1Rifle @ December 1, 2004, 10:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Kluski@December 1, 2004, 6:07 AM
That's the rev limiter... I've bumped off it more times than I'd like to admit. I'm getting better at shifting around 5700rpm in first (which, my gut feel tells me, is resulting in better acceleration), but occasionally I'm on it and hit the rev limiter because the power drop-off after 6000rpm isn't dramatic like on some other cars. [/b][/quote]
Thats what I thought. Never hit that before. Figured it wouldn't hurt to mention it and get some feedback.

Quick Reply: Hesitation after deacceloration