2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Help...Timing chain cassette (sp)

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/14, 11:31 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help...Timing chain cassette (sp)

Hey Guys,

As I was driving on saturday the timing chain cassette broke on my v6 mustang. The dealership wants to charge me over 1800 to repair this. First I want to know if this reasonable. I also want to know if I should be worried about the other TCC failing and needing to be replaced. From what I understand the passenger side TCC is on the back of the engine which means the engine would need to come out in order to evaluate the passenger side one.

Should I do that? Is it worth it. How often do these things break? My car is 94K miles and is a V6.

Thanks.
Old 6/10/14, 01:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
tcc what is TCC? or do you mean VVT?
Old 6/10/14, 02:36 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
tcc what is TCC? or do you mean VVT?
I was abbreviating the Timing chain cassette (guide) - TCC.
Old 6/11/14, 07:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Unlike most other OHC V6 and V8 engines that drive both overhead cams directly from the crankshaft with a belt or chain, this engine has an intermediate jackshaft in the middle of the block where a pushrod cam would normally be located.

The 4.0L SOHC engine was found under the hood of many Ford and related SUVs and light trucks, as well as 2005-’10 Mustangs.
A short timing chain on the front of the engine connects the crankshaft to the intermediate jackshaft. A second, longer timing chain behind the first chain connects the front of the jackshaft to the overhead cam on the left side of the engine.

A third timing chain in the back of the engine connects the rear of the jackshaft to the overhead cam in the right cylinder head. There is also a balance shaft in the crankcase of engines used in 4x4 trucks, which is driven by a fourth chain directly off the crankshaft.

Whoa

http://www.import-car.com/Article/11...v6_engine.aspx

Last edited by Glenn; 6/11/14 at 07:44 AM.
Old 6/11/14, 07:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I don't know what choice you have. Have the dealership do the work or you can do the work yourself at a fraction of the cost. I'm sure it would take some time having never done it before. Sell the car really cheap to someone that will fix it??
Old 6/11/14, 07:51 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,063 Likes on 666 Posts
As cars approach 100k miles everything seems to start breaking. I'm thinking 'big picture' now as I write this. Ignore it completely if it doesn't apply to you. $1800 is an awful lot of $$ to throw into a nearly 100k miles car, especially when more repairs will be needed sooner than later. It's just the way cars are, not just Mustangs, but all cars with 6 figures on the odometer. Of course there are exceptions but most 100k miles cars need 'things'. At what point do you just move on to another car? If you love the car, or it has sentimental value (Dad's old car, etc..) then this $$ is no problem to keep the car strong and running well for years and years. However I personally start to resent a car when it hits me hard in the pocketbook. It spoils the ownership experience. I just laid out over $1,000 for a repair (rear end) on my Trans Am but it has only 40,000 miles on it. I'm hoping more costly repairs are not in my future. With that mileage I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be OK. If the T/A had 100k miles I think I would kiss it goodbye, and I'm the original owner that really likes it even after all these years. That's just me, and my financial situation is probably way different than yours.
How do you feel about your Mustang? Will you be OK with this $1800 bill and perhaps more repair bills in the the next year or two? If you have absolutely no money for another car, then the answer is obvious. If you can swing another ride, it is something to think about.
Best of luck with everything!
Old 6/11/14, 09:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

http://www.kbb.com/ford/mustang/2006...=private-party

I priced the deluxe coupe blue book value is 8600 bucks.
Old 6/11/14, 10:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Unlike most other OHC V6 and V8 engines that drive both overhead cams directly from the crankshaft with a belt or chain, this engine has an intermediate jackshaft in the middle of the block where a pushrod cam would normally be located.

The 4.0L SOHC engine was found under the hood of many Ford and related SUVs and light trucks, as well as 2005-’10 Mustangs.
A short timing chain on the front of the engine connects the crankshaft to the intermediate jackshaft. A second, longer timing chain behind the first chain connects the front of the jackshaft to the overhead cam on the left side of the engine.

A third timing chain in the back of the engine connects the rear of the jackshaft to the overhead cam in the right cylinder head. There is also a balance shaft in the crankcase of engines used in 4x4 trucks, which is driven by a fourth chain directly off the crankshaft.

Whoa

http://www.import-car.com/Article/11...v6_engine.aspx
Good grief. Whoever designed that should be shot.
Old 6/11/14, 11:50 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Good grief. Whoever designed that should be shot.
Anti-vibration?
Old 6/11/14, 12:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Anti-vibration?
NOPE i THINK IT WAS SOME GUY NOT SOME THING

OPPPS ALL CAPS
Old 6/11/14, 07:03 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by LordRipberger
Hey Guys,

As I was driving on saturday the timing chain cassette broke on my v6 mustang. The dealership wants to charge me over 1800 to repair this. First I want to know if this reasonable. I also want to know if I should be worried about the other TCC failing and needing to be replaced. From what I understand the passenger side TCC is on the back of the engine which means the engine would need to come out in order to evaluate the passenger side one.

Should I do that? Is it worth it. How often do these things break? My car is 94K miles and is a V6.

Thanks.
You can get a rather low mileage 4.0 for a lot less and just swap the engine. The 4.0 sells pretty cheap which is why most just swap and don't bother repairing the 4.0.
Old 6/11/14, 07:45 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
NOPE i THINK IT WAS SOME GUY NOT SOME THING

OPPPS ALL CAPS
It was a lil early for

Old 6/15/14, 08:43 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Wow, had I known the wifes 07 had this goofy arrangement, think I woulda looked for a GT... she has no want for a 300 hp motor, and liked the looks of the pony package, so... luckily she dont drive hers much, hopefully she might get another 20 years before 100k- sounds like with maintenance thats not at all unrealistic without plastic tensioner troubles. thinking now though, I WILL get a metal thermostat housing for hers- know they are a junk plastic/failure prone part, and expect overheating even one time is not good for plastic stuff inside the motor- among other things...

silly me thought the 4.0 was the same old cologne V6 from decades ago- not a powerhouse, but durable. Seriously, I thought it was a pushrod engine- never really did more than give it a glance during oil changes...
I think the goofy cam drive was likely based upon the cheepest way to convert the old pushrod motor to OHC (explains the jackshaft in the original cam location) and the rear drive allowed one head casting/production line (our V8 has to have unique right and left heads).