2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Help! Stock 2005 GT in Fail Safe Engine Mode

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/22, 03:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Help! Stock 2005 GT in Fail Safe Engine Mode

Mom's 2005 GT is Completely Stock with 6300 miles On it (Yes you read that right) Her Battery Goes Dead a lot because She doesn't drive it. We jump started it today, grounding the Negative Cable to one of the Strut Bolts as We've Always Done. But Today it started up and it said that it's in Fail Safe Engine Mode. I tried turning it off and letting it sit and Starting it again, which didn't do anything. Then I Disconnected the Negative Battery Cable for 30 minutes then reconnected it, and it still Started in Fail Safe Engine Mode. Can anyone help?
Old 9/3/22, 03:27 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,199 Posts
https://www.tsbsearch.com/Ford/05-14-4

NOTE Production Date!

It's on Drivers Door Jam.

This TSB MAY or May NOT PERTAIN to Car. It Requires PCM be Updated as Well.

Since you Have Such a Low Miles Car It Probably Never had this TSB Done If Early Production. But you Need to Check for Codes anyway.

Got a Code Reader??

If Not Best Money Ever Spent!

Amazon Amazon

I got One and it is Quite Handy!

After That a Battery Tender Would Be a Great Idea. I'm Sure Somebody can Chime in with a Link to A good One!

If you get a Dead Battery All the Time Be Careful not to leave Cd's in Radio during Storage. I learned the hard way when they Jammed up & I had to replace Head Unit In My GT-500 Shaker 1000. Applies to Shaker 1000 & 500

In the Mean Time. Disconnect Battery & Fully Charge Battery Before Reconnecting.

Post or Email me Your VIN and I will Check Warranty Service History on Car. It May Show Something to Help Diagnose. Email in Sig. Ref. Screen Name.

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/3/22 at 03:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TampaBear67 (9/7/22)
Old 9/3/22, 10:26 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
I agree with everything 05stangkc said and yes get an OBDII reader. I have one that connects to my phone and can read and clear codes. If the car is thowing codes, let us know so we can help more.
Also check fuse #47 under the hood. My car went into limp mode and I was told I needed a new PCM.... Turned out that fuse was just blown...
Good luck.
The following 3 users liked this post by VGMStudios:
05stangkc (9/3/22), Bert (9/5/22), TampaBear67 (9/5/22)
Old 9/4/22, 07:20 AM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Also learned the hard way from batteries going dead on my first S197 GT, 3 to be exact in less than one year... Since purchasing the battery minder plus battery tender, my batteries last between 4-5 years before needing replaced... Anyhow, I went ahead and attached images and link for the battery minder plus, if interested!

https://www.batteryminders.com/batte...er-desulfator/

Battery Minder Plus, Tender Charger
The following 3 users liked this post by m05fastbackGT:
05stangkc (9/4/22), shaneyusa (9/19/22), TampaBear67 (9/4/22)
Old 9/4/22, 07:34 AM
The Analog Admin!

Cool

QUOTE m05fastbackGT Also learned the hard way from batteries going dead on my first S197 GT, 3 to be exact in less than one year... Since purchasing the battery minder plus battery tender, my batteries last between 4-5 years before needing replaced... Anyhow, I went ahead and attached images and link for the battery minder plus, if interested!

I like that Unit! You Can Get From Amazon as Well but it Still Comes From Northern Tool! Need to Get One Myself!

Thanks For Posting!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/4/22 at 07:35 AM.
TampaBear67 (9/4/22)
Old 9/4/22, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
QUOTE m05fastbackGT Also learned the hard way from batteries going dead on my first S197 GT, 3 to be exact in less than one year... Since purchasing the battery minder plus battery tender, my batteries last between 4-5 years before needing replaced... Anyhow, I went ahead and attached images and link for the battery minder plus, if interested!

I like that Unit! You Can Get From Amazon as Well but it Still Comes From Northern Tool! Need to Get One Myself!

Thanks For Posting!

KC
It sure isn't the first time! I've submitted posts on numerous occasions in past threads thru the years that are directly related to dead/drained batteries...
TampaBear67 (9/4/22)
Old 9/4/22, 03:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Thanks Guys. Gonna check things out.

Thanks Guys, Gonna have to look into an OBD2 Code Reader. I Haven't got one. Unfortunately there's no power in the Garage She keeps it parked in, because it's a Detached Garage, So Unfortunately We Can't use a Battery Tender.

I'm Pretty Sure it's Never had Any Kind of Warranty work or TSB's done to it. She Literally Never Drives it, mainly because My Dad b*tches about getting In and Out of it. It's a Shame. It's a Beautiful Car, and still looks and smells like new. It has 2 small dings on the Passenger Side where Dad ran into it with His 4 Wheeler, because He's Just Really Careless. Believe Me, She Let Him Have it.

Besides the Battery Dying, the only other issue she has is the Windshield is leaking. It's Been Garaged All it's life, but the Black Dot Matrix Coating is also Coming Off around the Edges. I don't know what caused the leak or ceramic to come off the Windshield. Going to check that Fuse now, and get the Build Code and Vin. I'll post in a bit.

Last edited by TampaBear67; 9/4/22 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added info & grammar
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaBear67:
05stangkc (9/4/22), m05fastbackGT (9/4/22)
Old 9/4/22, 03:57 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
Since no work has ever been done on the car, I highly recommend that you waterproof it. This is a known issue with the s197.
Check out this pdf. It will help with waterproofing it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QI-...w?usp=drivesdk
The following 2 users liked this post by VGMStudios:
05stangkc (9/4/22), TampaBear67 (9/7/22)
Old 9/4/22, 06:12 PM
The Analog Admin!

Great VGM, Mo5, This is How we Do it! Multiple Members Chipping Away at the Issues. Tampa Does the Car get enough Sun for a Solar Maintainer?? as Far as That Code Reader. $25.00 Is Nothing Compared to a Shop Visit. The One I Listed I have & Use! Works Great!

As Far as a Solar I just Pulled up an Inexpensive One. Looks Like an Option is a Regulator of Sorts. Sure Mom would pick up The Tab!

Amazon Amazon

KC
Amazon Amazon

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/4/22 at 06:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05stangkc:
TampaBear67 (9/5/22), VGMStudios (9/4/22)
Old 9/4/22, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by TampaBear67
Thanks Guys, Gonna have to look into an OBD2 Code Reader. I Haven't got one. Unfortunately there's no power in the Garage She keeps it parked in, because it's a Detached Garage, So Unfortunately We Can't use a Battery Tender.

I'm Pretty Sure it's Never had Any Kind of Warranty work or TSB's done to it. She Literally Never Drives it, mainly because My Dad b*tches about getting In and Out of it. It's a Shame. It's a Beautiful Car, and still looks and smells like new. It has 2 small dings on the Passenger Side where Dad ran into it with His 4 Wheeler, because He's Just Really Careless. Believe Me, She Let Him Have it.

Besides the Battery Dying, the only other issue she has is the Windshield is leaking. It's Been Garaged All it's life, but the Black Dot Matrix Coating is also Coming Off around the Edges. I don't know what caused the leak or ceramic to come off the Windshield. Going to check that Fuse now, and get the Build Code and Vin. I'll post in a bit.
Is there any way you might be able to run extension cords from your house or basement to your detached garage? That might be a possible solution to connecting a battery tender... Otherwise, if the vehicle is not going to be operated for a prolonged period of time, it may be in your best interest to disconnect the battery altogether.. At least that way, it won't end up becoming discharged... Anyhow, just a couple of suggestions you may possibly consider

Great VGM, Mo5, This is How we Do it! Multiple Members Chipping Away at the Issues.
KC
Over 16 years of activity chipping away at the issues since day one to be exact!

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/4/22 at 11:01 PM.
TampaBear67 (9/5/22)
Old 9/7/22, 01:38 PM
Cobra R Member

NOTE Production Date!

It's on Drivers Door Jam.

This TSB MAY or May NOT PERTAIN to Car. It Requires PCM be Updated as Well.

Since you Have Such a Low Miles Car It Probably Never had this TSB Done If Early Production. But you Need to Check for Codes anyway.

Got a Code Reader??

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After That a Battery Tender Would Be a Great Idea. I'm Sure Somebody can Chime in with a Link to A good One!

If you get a Dead Battery All the Time Be Careful not to leave Cd's in Radio during Storage. I learned the hard way when they Jammed up & I had to replace Head Unit In My GT-500 Shaker 1000. Applies to Shaker 1000 & 500

In the Mean Time. Disconnect Battery & Fully Charge Battery Before Reconnecting.

Post or Email me Your VIN and I will Check Warranty Service History on Car. It May Show Something to Help Diagnose. Email in Sig. Ref. Screen Name.

KC

Here You Go, KC, Here's the Door Sticker from Her Car. I haven't gotten a Code Reader yet, but I checked Fuse #27 in the Power Supply Fuse Box under the Hood and it's fine. The car is Still Starting in Fail Safe Engine Mode even after sitting a few days. Code Reader will be the Next thing.
Old 9/7/22, 01:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by VGMStudios
I agree with everything 05stangkc said and yes get an OBDII reader. I have one that connects to my phone and can read and clear codes. If the car is thowing codes, let us know so we can help more.
Also check fuse #47 under the hood. My car went into limp mode and I was told I needed a new PCM.... Turned out that fuse was just blown...
Good luck.
Thanks VGM, I Checked Fuse #47/15 amp in the Power Supply Fuse Box under the Hood, and it was fine. Still need to get a Code Reader though.
VGMStudios (9/9/22)
Old 9/7/22, 02:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Great VGM, Mo5, This is How we Do it! Multiple Members Chipping Away at the Issues. Tampa Does the Car get enough Sun for a Solar Maintainer?? as Far as That Code Reader. $25.00 Is Nothing Compared to a Shop Visit. The One I Listed I have & Use! Works Great!

As Far as a Solar I just Pulled up an Inexpensive One. Looks Like an Option is a Regulator of Sorts. Sure Mom would pick up The Tab!

https://www.amazon.com/Sunway-Solar-...41-spons&psc=1

KC
https://www.amazon.com/Sunway-Solar-...6X9VWZYF&psc=1

KC
No, it's usually in a Closed Garage, so No Sun for Solar. We can run Drop Cords to the Garage but it is a Long Way to Run a Drop Cord. I'm Hoping to get Them Moved within the Next Year. They've got 5 Acres and a 2200 Sq ft 4 Bedroom House, and it's just too Much for them to keep up. Dad was diagnosed with Dementia a few years ago, and it's only getting worse. On top of that, Their place is an Hour Drive from their Doctor's Offices and the Hospital. So it's time to Downsize and Move Closer to Town.

Old 9/7/22, 03:11 PM
The Analog Admin!

Here You Go, KC, Here's the Door Sticker from Her Car. I haven't gotten a Code Reader yet, but I checked Fuse #27 in the Power Supply Fuse Box under the Hood and it's fine. The car is Still Starting in Fail Safe Engine Mode even after sitting a few days. Code Reader will be the Next thing.
The Warranty History is slim. A Brake Pedal Replaced Early on and the Two Airbag Inflators Replaced in 2020. There are a Couple of TSB'S Related to Diagnostic Trouble Codes. When you Get a Reader Get me The Codes and I will Check if they Pertain to Them.

Nice car! I Ordered my First GT in the Blue but not Knowing what The Color Looked Like I Chickened out and Changed to Black! I ordered EARLY! First One Ordered at the Dealership!

Sorry to Hear About your Dad. Been Down the Road! The Wife & I got too Much Property to Handle these Days Either! They are Lucky to Have you Helping Out!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/7/22 at 03:20 PM.
TampaBear67 (9/7/22)
Old 9/7/22, 08:29 PM

No, it's usually in a Closed Garage, so No Sun for Solar. We can run Drop Cords to the Garage but it is a Long Way to Run a Drop Cord. I'm Hoping to get Them Moved within the Next Year. They've got 5 Acres and a 2200 Sq ft 4 Bedroom House, and it's just too Much for them to keep up. Dad was diagnosed with Dementia a few years ago, and it's only getting worse. On top of that, Their place is an Hour Drive from their Doctor's Offices and the Hospital. So it's time to Downsize and Move Closer to Town.

Totally understand your current situation.. In the meantime, until your able to get everyone relocated and settled in, you can always for the time being, just disconnect your battery when the Mustang isn't being operated!
TampaBear67 (9/8/22)
Old 9/17/22, 12:03 PM
Cobra R Member

CODES

Got a Code Reader??

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

KC
Well, I got a Code Reader and it has Several Codes, but they All serm to point to the TAC Throttle Actuator Control. I understand what that is, but have No Idea where to Start to fix it. I'll attach Screenshots from the Code Reader.

Last edited by TampaBear67; 9/17/22 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Edited Quote
Old 9/17/22, 01:04 PM
The Analog Admin!

Hello,

With The Low Miles and The Car Not Getting Driven Much and with these Codes I suspect a Gummed Up Throttle Body. Now these are Drive By Wire So No Cable to Fool With. Shop Manual Throttle Check Below. A good Spray clean Inside on the Throttle Body May do the Trick. I woulds Also Check for Clean Electrical Connection at T/B. Could Be Failure of Something in the System As Well. But a Gummed Up T/B Makes Sense!

After Market Site
https://www.obd-codes.com/p2112

Ford Shop Manual

P2111 - Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System - Stuck Open

Description: This powertrain control module (PCM) fault status indicates the throttle plate is at a greater angle than commanded. Possible Causes:
  • Binding throttle body, stuck open
  • TAC motor circuits are cross-wired
  • TAC motor harness circuits are shorted together
  • Damaged PCM
Diagnostic Aids:
Application Key On Engine Off Key On Engine Running Continuous Memory All
GO to
DV1

P2112 - Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System - Stuck Closed.

Description: This powertrain control module (PCM) fault status indicates the throttle plate is at a lower angle than commanded. Possible Causes:
  • Binding throttle body, stuck closed
  • Damaged PCM
Diagnostic Aids:
Application Key On Engine Off Key On Engine Running Continuous Memory All
GO to
DV1P2104 - Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System - Forced Idle

This is How Ford Says to Check Throttle Body Physically

CHECK FOR OBSTRUCTION OF THE THROTTLE BODYWARNING: Substantial opening and closing torque is applied by this system. To prevent injury, be careful to keep fingers away from throttle mechanism when actuated.

Note: Moving the throttle plate manually may cause DTC P2106 to set during the self-test.
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Remove the inlet tube from the throttle body.
  • Visually inspect for throttle plate obstruction.
  • Slowly, push the throttle plate to wide open and release.

Does the throttle plate move freely to wide open and back??

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/17/22 at 01:15 PM.
TampaBear67 (9/18/22)
Old 9/18/22, 11:59 AM
Cobra R Member

Hello,

With The Low Miles and The Car Not Getting Driven Much and with these Codes I suspect a Gummed Up Throttle Body. Now these are Drive By Wire So No Cable to Fool With. Shop Manual Throttle Check Below. A good Spray clean Inside on the Throttle Body May do the Trick. I woulds Also Check for Clean Electrical Connection at T/B. Could Be Failure of Something in the System As Well. But a Gummed Up T/B Makes Sense!

Does the throttle plate move freely to wide open and back??
Thanks KC, I'll check the Throttle Plate. It doesn't get Driven, but it's never had an issue other than the Battery going Dead from not being Driven. Which is the reason this issue came up, after Jump Starting it.
Old 9/18/22, 03:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Thanks KC, I'll check the Throttle Plate. It doesn't get Driven, but it's never had an issue other than the Battery going Dead from not being Driven. Which is the reason this issue came up, after Jump Starting it.
As someone that regularly has to keep my Pony on a battery tender (rogue current drain, kills battery in a week or so) I did tend to see some weird things pop up after the battery went stone dead. This might be one of them.

Go to Auto Zone and get a can of "Throttle Body Cleaner" , pull the air intake snorkel and give her a good hosing down. I use the blue paper "shop towels" to scrub around the interior as well - hold the throttle blades open and clean 'er up. After the cleaning hold at WOT during start for a brief moment to facilitate starting. Since there is no oil catch can on the intake, the throttle body gets regularly doused with oil "muck" from the PCV. It's worth a shot!

@05stangkc it's GREAT to see you active here again!!! I'm still running the water pump and hoses I picked up from you when I was passing through way back when! Good to see you "virtually" here and I hope you stay in touch!
Old 9/18/22, 05:07 PM
The Analog Admin!

Originally Posted by mrkabc
As someone that regularly has to keep my Pony on a battery tender (rogue current drain, kills battery in a week or so) I did tend to see some weird things pop up after the battery went stone dead. This might be one of them.

Go to Auto Zone and get a can of "Throttle Body Cleaner" , pull the air intake snorkel and give her a good hosing down. I use the blue paper "shop towels" to scrub around the interior as well - hold the throttle blades open and clean 'er up. After the cleaning hold at WOT during start for a brief moment to facilitate starting. Since there is no oil catch can on the intake, the throttle body gets regularly doused with oil "muck" from the PCV. It's worth a shot!

@05stangkc it's GREAT to see you active here again!!! I'm still running the water pump and hoses I picked up from you when I was passing through way back when! Good to see you "virtually" here and I hope you stay in touch!
Thank You Old Friend! Now you Start Posting more Regular as Well! Not Too Many SN-197 Guys Left from the Glory Days! Could Use your Experience! I read some of the old Posts and Just wonder how in the world did we all Figure out so much about a New Car in such a short period of time! It was Great!

Best Regards,
KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/18/22 at 05:12 PM.
VGMStudios (9/19/22)