2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/16, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP PLEASE

I have a 2005 GT I just installed a TCI steetfighter 5r55s auto transmission with TCI torque converter. I'm experiencing erratic shifting and will go into limp mode. It's always the 2nd gear ratio code that comes up. The transmission is mechanically perfect internally and has a new solenoid pack. Any ideas how to correct this problem? TCI Has been no help at all. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 8/1/16, 10:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Ok, that code is pretty specific, and is not vehicle specific, meaning that all OBDII cars will give this code for this reason. Here:

http://repairpal.com/OBD-II-Code-P0732

This is a pretty good explanation of the code. And it pretty much means either the 2nd gear solenoid isn't, or the 2nd gear set is slipping in the transmission, but it could be a few other things... most I consider unlikely, but they're still there.

The finding of proof is going to be the issue. This might be a dealer/certified tech issue, and trying to shade tree diagnose it could be a problem. I also don't know how you know the transmission is 'mechanically perfect' because it sounds like it's not, inside.

Now, friend, I'm going to say the bad word: Dealer Technician. Yes, that TCM isn't their transmission, BUT it's a reworked Ford transmission, still a 5r55s, and so they should be able to work with it. And it might be worth it in the long run for time/money issues. Truth be told, you can keep poking at it, spending time, money, effort, and still wind up at the dealer. So you spend more than if you'd just gone there in the first place.

And if they prove it's TCM, then you get TCM to foot the bill, and if they don't (because you do have proof they stonewalled you before, right?) then you lawyer up and/or local news station action reporter up. I'd hope it wouldn't get to that point, of course.

Dunno if that helps, but that's my take on it. Good dang luck to ya.

Last edited by houtex; 8/1/16 at 10:33 PM.
Old 8/2/16, 03:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Never been a real fan of TCI. I've had issues in the past with their converters. They always replaced them but I got tired of it and went in another direction and never looked back. That was 20-30 years ago. Anyways, have you had it tuned for the converter? Some say you don;t need a tune for the converter but I have seen many cases where the added slip from the stall speed can mess with what the computer sees. I don't know if this is the case in your situation but I would investigate it before pursuing other mechanical fixes. Basically the computer will monitor input speed or engine rpm and it expects a certain output speed for the driveshaft depending on what gear it's in. With the new converter the engine rpm's may be hitting a higher speed, especially under load, than what it normally would be given a certain output shaft speed. That is one possibility. Do you have access to tuning software or a good tuner? You might try and play around with some of those tables to see if you can get rid of the issue.
I know you said it's shifting erratically. Is it doing it in all gears or just in first and second? This could be that the computer is confused. Or it could be something mechanical. When you say that it is mechanically perfect internally, how do you know this? Because it's new or because you took it to a tranny shop and they hooked it up to a diagnostic machine? I mean it could be the pump not producing enough line pressure and parts are hanging up. I never liked these synchronous trannies, too many parts have to move in perfect unison for it to perform properly. Too much stuff going on internally for my liking.

Last edited by 07 Boss; 8/2/16 at 03:45 PM.