2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Help me diagnose this %#$@% noise

Search this Thread

Old 11/18/05, 07:28 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have recently had this noise that seems to be coming from the front of the car that is driving me nuts. Started happening a month ago maybe.

Trying to describe – a rotational noise that becomes most evident when getting up to about 50 or more and then letting off the gas and coasting – it will then be especially noticeable getting down through 20. It almost sounds like something rubbing because it is not completely constant – what I mean is, the slower you go there seems to be ‘spacing’ in between when you hear the sound and that gets slower and your speed reduces. You also hear a rhythmic sound (almost like rubbing) when slowly turning at like 5 mph, like going into a driveway.

The front Eibachs went into the car a while back now but I had it aligned and there is NO strange wear on the tires and no vibration through the wheel. Took the front passenger side wheel off quickly (where it sounded like it was coming from ) two weekends back and didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. Looks to be no tires rubbing or brake caliper issues. The rotors (Powerslots) and brake pads look fine. Recently the sound seems to be louder.

This is wacky but could the tires need to be rebalanced??? (even with NO shuddering or vibration through the steering wheel?)

After we put in the Eibachs, could something be up with when the brake caliper was put back on again?

I believe the passenger side still has the two clips that the factory puts on to hold the brake rotors and thought I read a post from someone who had wheel shudder and removed those and all was fine – could this be causing this at all without any wheel shudder?

The fact that it is louder now is making me nervous.
Any suggestions? (besides the obvious ‘take it to the dealer”?)
Old 11/21/05, 08:27 PM
Big Falken Tires

Okay so after becoming an expert in setting speed records for jacking the car up, getting the wheel off and then removing the brake caliper numerous times, I noticed that on the front passenger side where I thought the noise was coming from, when you spun the wheel or just rotated the rotor still mounted with the wheel removed, there was an intermittant rubbing sound quite similar to what I thought I heard while driving. (and not the constant sound you are supposed to here between the pad and the rotor when spinning the wheel)

My brother and I thought perhaps my brake rotor had warped or I got a defective one. So tonight I switched out my powerslot to the stock one and was about to do the drivers side... I gave the wheel a spin.... and the SAME NOISE.

Caliper looks fine so now I am thinking it has to be the brake pad. Going to order a new set of HAWK pads and see what happens.....
Old 11/22/05, 07:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you're on the right path. I hope the brake pads take care of it.
Old 11/23/05, 10:10 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally posted by lodom@November 22, 2005, 8:27 AM
It sounds like you're on the right path. I hope the brake pads take care of it.
Thanks man - it is bugging the CRAP out of me in a major way.
My HAWK pads should be here friday so we will see......
(fingers crossed)
Old 11/23/05, 11:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow Dave I hate to hear you're having problems I hope the new pads fix it. And also, you have a package on the way from me
Old 11/23/05, 12:18 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally posted by MTAS@November 23, 2005, 12:19 PM
Wow Dave I hate to hear you're having problems I hope the new pads fix it. And also, you have a package on the way from me

Sweet bro!

Now answer me this - just how did you fit the stripper into the shipping box?
Old 11/23/05, 01:48 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds as if we may have the same problem, mine is now fixed though. I never experienced the sound at higher speeds, but I did have a sound at close to 5mph. The only time I could hear it was turning into an area that was a little higher then the surface I was driving on, say for example turning into a driveway with a slight incline.
In my Mustang the sound came from the drivers side, but was as you described.

As I stated above, the issue has been resolved, but it took awhile for the dealer to get in the parts to fix the issue, close to about two months. They said something about going with a new part that some had QC issues. I believe that it was something with the suspnesion, (sorry the name of the part slips my mind right now) but if you changed the suspension, I have no clue.

Hope that helps you some.