2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Happy with your GT?

Search this Thread

Old 5/11/05, 09:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, "I think I'm going to explode", but that's just me. I have the Skanker and Strut popping noise problems - eventually that will be fixed by the dealer. I'm glad I ordered early on.
Old 5/11/05, 09:25 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 05stangster@May 11, 2005, 9:13 AM
Personally, "I think I'm going to explode", but that's just me. I have the Skanker and Strut popping noise problems - eventually that will be fixed by the dealer. I'm glad I ordered early on.

Is the skanker a new option or just a nickname for your car
Old 5/11/05, 09:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Good one! No, the 500Watt Shaker (aka Skanker) was stock for the GT. The CD player skips way too much - version B of the Shaker is now available - but I'll wait to see how it performs. My car is named Shelby, after my dog, which was named 6 years ago after the Shelby Mustang of the early days.
Old 5/11/05, 09:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

skanker 500 is a good name for it considering how flawlessly it performs...

I'm very satisfied with my GT, I just have to take it in for the following:
- skanker problems
- strut popping (again)
- fuel tank problem
- and the all new mysterious (exhaust pipe?) rattle at ~2700 RPM

yeah, I think thats all....for now.
Old 5/11/05, 09:50 AM
V6 Member

I am scared to order a '06 GT at the end of this year. My sister and two cousins have had nothing but problems with their GT's ('99, 2001) and I've been reading of all kinds of problems with the Skanker, rattles, hesitation, gas tanks, popping. No car looks as good as the new Stang but I don't want to have endless problems. I guess the mustang has never been a reliable car. Hope most of these poblems will be worked out for the '06 year since I will most likely be ordering a Windveil Blue GT, spoiler delete, dark charcoal in spite of the reliability issues. Thanks
Old 5/11/05, 10:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Don't be scared! These are minor fixes on a completely redesigned from the ground up Mustang. There is no comparison, even remotely, to the 99 or 01 GT. The body is much stiffer, rides better, handles better, has more giddy. I am confident they will fix the 05 glitches next MY b/c it is too spendy to fix in the shop.

Regarding the problems you mentioned: Skanker (it's only a CD player, not a major problem); rattles - (I don't have one rattle and have only heard a couple people that do); hesitation (no longer operated by cable, electronically controlled. I have an auto and if there is a hesitation problem, I would consider it minor b/c 0-60 in 5.1 is not much hesitation - can reflash if there is too much hesitation for your liking); gas tanks (I don't have this pain, but again, they will just R&R the tank); popping noise (this is the only defect I consider to be a big flub up - they will R&R the struts).
Old 5/11/05, 10:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 05stangster@May 11, 2005, 10:13 AM
Me,too!!
Old 5/11/05, 10:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm with 05Stanger. Dont be scared at all, buy away! The problems I listed all minor and pose no real threat to the car itself

-My shaker plays mp3 cds flawlessly and thats all that matters to me.
-The gas tank, eh, kind of annoying but I haven't had a problem with it for the past 4 months.
-Struts, as soon as the excitement of owning the car dies down then I'll take it in....I dont know when that will be though, I've had mine since November and it's still hard for me to go a day without driving it. I'm addicted!
-My new mysterious rattle, seems like some sort of dampener will fix that.
Old 5/11/05, 11:06 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm sure I will order in the next few months. Problem is I'm in Europe for another few months but when I return to California I want the '06 GT. I have wanted a GT for 20 years but always bought foreign....not this time. I'm in the LA area so I'll probably go with the Auto since the traffic there is insane IMO this new Mustang is the best looking to come along since '68! Agree that the first year problems are minor in nature and will be worked out on the '06. I'm also happy to know that this new model is much more comfortable for daily driving. I drove my sister's '01 for 2 weeks this February and it was great but pretty uncomfortable after a couple days.
thanks, frank
Old 5/11/05, 11:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm exploding for sure! Even at MSRP this car is a bargain. :worship:

I do have the fuel tank issue, but have successfully filled it twice now by pumping in the gas at half speed, so that is not detracting from the fun at all.

The '05 is scary fast compared to my 95 GT. It also looks a lot better, and attracts a LOT more attention. I'd get the occasional "nice car" in the 95 GT, but I literally can't take the '05 anywhere without generating praise and thumbs-ups.

I was obsessed with this car for about a year before actually getting it, and in no way does the car disappoint.
Old 5/11/05, 11:53 AM
V6 Member

I am very satisfied with my WVBlue Vert. I have had it for 6 weeks and (knock on wood) have not had any problems with it. I enjoy driving it every morning to work and look forward to the end of the day to drive it again. With the exception of my 72 Dodge Charger, this is the first car I have thoroughly enjoyed driving in the last 33 years.
Old 5/11/05, 11:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by MorrisMustang@May 11, 2005, 10:53 AM
I am scared to order a '06 GT at the end of this year. My sister and two cousins have had nothing but problems with their GT's ('99, 2001) and I've been reading of all kinds of problems with the Skanker, rattles, hesitation, gas tanks, popping. No car looks as good as the new Stang but I don't want to have endless problems. I guess the mustang has never been a reliable car. Hope most of these poblems will be worked out for the '06 year since I will most likely be ordering a Windveil Blue GT, spoiler delete, dark charcoal in spite of the reliability issues. Thanks
You can't buy a car and be guarenteed that nothing will go wrong. This is the nature of the assembly line. This stuff happens to all cars.
Old 5/11/05, 11:59 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Some more that others I am really surprised the new Mustang has had so many issues.
Old 5/11/05, 12:18 PM
Bullitt Member

1 BULLIT - Not trying to argue with your opinion, but I can only think of 3 primary issues with the new Msutang: fuel tank, struts popping and the skanker. I would say I am surprised the new Mustang has so FEW issues. Just my 1.98 cents.
Old 5/11/05, 12:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Being a first year model, I was prepared for thw worse but so far only 1/the 2 missing/non-missing bolts in the transmission bell housing and 2/a loose brake line bracket which sounded like a drivetrain issue. IMO, a heck of alot of car for the $ and getting it at $1850 below MSRP (this was Nov) - made it all the better considering where the market is now for GT's.
Old 5/11/05, 01:39 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

strut issues are bugging me.. and the crappy paint job.. but performance wise - satisfied
Old 5/11/05, 01:53 PM
Bullitt Member

What was wrong with your paint? Orange peel? Mine is near perfect.
Old 5/11/05, 01:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by MorrisMustang@May 11, 2005, 9:53 AM
Not a reliable car ! wtfever, I am sure you have offended more than one or two members of this forum...
Old 5/11/05, 02:01 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah, just like anything else, it has issues but I love it. If you look at the issues they are all minor and I mean minor. If you are not going to buy a car because of that you will never, and I mean never, buy a car because they all have little quirks. FORD is fixing all the little issues and it will take time since this is an entirely new car. SO I say for now, let my cd skip, interior trim vibrate, hydraulic tensioner rattle. I don't car. The looks of the car and the way it drives keeps me smiling. I've had my car since november and every morning that I wake up I can't wait to hop in and go for a drive.
Old 5/11/05, 02:01 PM
FR500 Member

not a complaint in the world....its amazing

Quick Reply: Happy with your GT?