2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

GT500 shifter? or IUP shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 11/27/06, 05:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up GT500 shifter? or IUP shifter?

Can the stock manual trans shifter **** be replaced with the GT500 shifter **** or the IUP shifter ****? How much money are the OEM ***** (GT500 and/or IUP) and how involved is the swap?

The GT500 shift ****, from the Ford brochure, appears to be the basic/standard GT shift **** with brushed aluminum on the top part (with the 6-speed H-pattern #s), whereas the IUP shift **** has an aluminum ring with an aluminum top. The standard GT shift **** is all plastic, with a black 5-speed H-pattern top covered with clear plastic. I've already noticed some scratches in the clear plastic. I wish (just this one part) were brushed aluminum. I really dig the black plastic though.

What I'd like to see is a brushed aluminum top with the 5-speed H-pattern designed for the standard GT shift **** (black plastic).
Old 11/27/06, 05:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The shift ***** just unscrew, I would get the IPU **** for the correct pattern.
Old 11/27/06, 06:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

How do you time the shift **** properly and still keep it on tight? Is there some type of index nut?

I'm basically looking for the same shifter style but with a brushed aluminum H-pattern "emblem". I'm not too fond of the IUP shifter since there's too much chrome/shiny stuff.
Attached Thumbnails GT500 shifter? or IUP shifter?-standard_shifter.jpg  
Old 11/27/06, 08:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
How do you time the shift **** properly and still keep it on tight? Is there some type of index nut?

I'm basically looking for the same shifter style but with a brushed aluminum H-pattern "emblem". I'm not too fond of the IUP shifter since there's too much chrome/shiny stuff.
There is no lock nut, it does get tight enough to hold it in place once you've screwed in on some.Took my shifter out to install the poly Steeda bushings.
And is this what you mean for the shifter ****? You can usually find this style on ebay for around 12-15.
Attached Thumbnails GT500 shifter? or IUP shifter?-gt-048m.jpg  
Old 11/28/06, 04:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The standard shift **** does not change if you order the IUP. The aluminum shift **** and trim ring comes with the Premier Trim pkg.

Chip in SC
Old 11/28/06, 05:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

That's the GT Premium shift ****, right? The Premiere Package/IUP goes to a shiny ring + shiny ****, whereas the Premium trim just has leather wrapping and a shiny insert?

How is the insert constructed? Brushed aluminum metal? Will the H-Pattern fade/wear out?
Old 11/28/06, 05:32 AM
Bullitt Member

That's the GT Premium shift ****, right? The Premiere Package/IUP goes to a shiny ring + shiny ****, whereas the Premium trim just has leather wrapping and a shiny insert?

How is the insert constructed? Brushed aluminum metal? Will the H-Pattern fade/wear out?
The Mustang GT Deluxe or Premium comes with the standard, leather wrapped shift ****. Doesn't matter whether you get the IUP or not. The only way you get the aluminum shift **** is to either order the Premier Trim Package, which includes the aluminum shift ****, trim ring, aluminum pedals, wrapped and stiched dashpad, arm rests and console cover, or get it from the aftermarket. The IUP and Premier Trim are two completely separate options. Also don't confuse the Premier Trim with the GT Premium.

The shift pattern is depressed into the top of the shift ****.

Chip in SC
Old 11/28/06, 05:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ipchay61
The Mustang GT Deluxe or Premium comes with the standard, leather wrapped shift ****. Doesn't matter whether you get the IUP or not. The only way you get the aluminum shift **** is to either order the Premier Trim Package, which includes the aluminum shift ****, trim ring, aluminum pedals, wrapped and stiched dashpad, arm rests and console cover, or get it from the aftermarket. The IUP and Premier Trim are two completely separate options. Also don't confuse the Premier Trim with the GT Premium.

The shift pattern is depressed into the top of the shift ****.

Chip in SC
The leather wrapped shift **** does NOT come with the GT Deluxe without some type of extra package. My attachment shows the standard, no-frills shift **** (black plastic w/ the black H-pattern) included with the GT Deluxe.

I'm looking at the Mustang brochures and clearly see a full aluminum **** with a full aluminum trim ring around the base of the "ball". The caption of that pic talked about the Premiere Trim and IUP.

I'm interested in the one that aircare84 attached - black (leather wrapped?) with a shiny H-pattern. Photos of that type of shift **** seem to show the H-pattern is printed onto a shiny "gray" material. I recall sitting in a GT Conv w/ the GT/CS and IUP. It had the leather-wrapped shift **** with the gray insert.

What trim/packages include that type of ****, and what materials are used for that ****? Thanks in advance!
Old 11/28/06, 05:48 AM
Bullitt Member

I've got the aluminum **** in my '07 (I ordered the Premier Trim). Both the Deluxe and Premium have the black shift **** although apparently, as you say, the Deluxe does not have it wrapped in leather. Could it possibly be plastic and have a leather grain texture?

I guess I misunderstood your question. I thought you wanted the aluminum **** instead of the standard one.

The picture you mentioned with the aluminum ****/trim ring that says Premier Trim and IUP references the fact that both options are shown in that photo.

If you want the leather wrapped **** with the aluminum insert, order the GT Premium. If you add the Premier Trim, you will get the entire shift **** in aluminum. Hope this helps!
Old 11/28/06, 05:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

It is definitely plastic and has a grainy texture (same for the steering wheel).

Yes, I would like the aluminum **** (black sides, shiny top). Is the top definitely made of aluminum? Is the H-pattern printed or embossed? Photographs seem to show that it is printed.

If you want the leather wrapped **** with the aluminum insert, order the GT Premium. If you add the Premier Trim, you will get the entire shift **** in aluminum. Hope this helps!
Yes! Thank you very much! That makes more sense, since the GT Premium trim adds leather seating (Leather shift **** goes with leather seats).

Now, how easy is it to swap the shift *****? Do I simply start twisting off the original **** and then just tighten the new ****? Wouldn't it start to come off while driving?
Old 11/28/06, 02:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Shift pattern and gear numbers are embossed then painted. Not sure about swapping them but I would imagine it's pretty easy.
Old 11/28/06, 03:03 PM
GT Member

I ordered the Deluxe, with the IUP and Leather trimmed seats. Which **** will mine have?

-Black fake leather (read plastic) **** with shiny black top?
-Black leather with aluminum top?

I'm thinking the first one.
Old 11/28/06, 04:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My shifter bezel is aftermarket, the **** is factory. I have a '06 GT Deluxe w/IUP and leater seats. The aluminum part of the **** pattern is engraved, then painted.Hope this helps.
metroplex, keep an eye out on ebay, I've seen the same shifter **** on there often, usually for under $20.
The bezel is going for $19.95, beats Fords for $179., but this one does not include the boot.
Old 11/28/06, 05:35 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
It is definitely plastic and has a grainy texture (same for the steering wheel).

Yes, I would like the aluminum **** (black sides, shiny top). Is the top definitely made of aluminum? Is the H-pattern printed or embossed? Photographs seem to show that it is printed.

Yes! Thank you very much! That makes more sense, since the GT Premium trim adds leather seating (Leather shift **** goes with leather seats).

Now, how easy is it to swap the shift *****? Do I simply start twisting off the original **** and then just tighten the new ****? Wouldn't it start to come off while driving?
You still don't have it right. The aluminum **** comes with the Premier Trim Package and it is all aluminum with no leather on the sides. (not what you're describing, I don't think)

The IUP gives you the shifter you're describing you want. (the one in aircare84's pic) Just getting the GT premium will NOT get you that ****. The ONLY upgrades you would get by going from a GT Deluxe to a GT Premium are leather seating surfaces (w/ fake leather on the back seats and other trim) and the Shaker 500 stereo.

Let me see if I can dig up some pics to show exactly what each **** is.
And, BTW, they are all interchangle as far as I know.
Old 11/28/06, 05:50 PM

Maybe these pics will help. This is the **** that came in my '05 GT Deluxe (cloth seats) with the IUP. It has the leather sides and the clear plastic cover with silver color underneath and the shift pattern painted on top of the silver but underneath the plastic cover.

Is this the one you want?
There are several of these on eBay.
Attached Images    
Old 11/28/06, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by bigkbull
I ordered the Deluxe, with the IUP and Leather trimmed seats. Which **** will mine have?

-Black fake leather (read plastic) **** with shiny black top?
-Black leather with aluminum top?

I'm thinking the first one.
You will be getting the second one you described... like the one in my pictures. It comes with the Interior Upgrade Package. (IUP)
Old 11/28/06, 06:13 PM

There are 4 different *****.
1. Standard: black plastic sides with black top
2. Interior Upgrade Package: leather sides with silver top
3. Premier Trim Package: all aluminum, one piece
4. GT500: looks exactly like the IUP shifter, but has 6 speed pattern
Attached Thumbnails GT500 shifter? or IUP shifter?-standard_shifter.jpg  
Attached Images    
Old 11/28/06, 06:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Stangnut! I checked out the IUP shifter on another car and the "leather" felt like smooth plastic. I may go for the IUP shifter just to complete the GT500-interior look on my GT.
Old 11/28/06, 06:48 PM

Glad I could help. That's what we're all here for.

One thing I think I've learned from this is there's a GT500 Premium Interior Trim Package which, according to the dealer brochure includes:
Wrapped and stitched instrument panel brow and center console
Upgraded door armrests
Auto dimming rear view mirror with compass
Aluminum pedal covers

I thought the leather covered dash was standard on the GT500. I guess not. Also, I had been wondering how you'd get a GT500 without that ugly red baseball stitching. Apparently, it is part of that package.

Is that the only place it shows up? (in the shifter boot)

EDIT:
Looks like it's in the steering wheel also, but that's not mentioned as part of the package. Does that mean the only steering wheel that comes with the GT500 has the ugly red stitching or are there two different ones?
Old 11/28/06, 09:20 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by StangNut
You will be getting the second one you described... like the one in my pictures. It comes with the Interior Upgrade Package. (IUP)
Thanks! On an impulse I bought one on ebay thinking I was getting the black one. Sooooo... if anyone wants the IUP handle, I got a brand new one available. I paid $20 shipped, and I would like to get that back, haha.

Quick Reply: GT500 shifter? or IUP shifter?