GT Mustang now 50% build restrained

Search this Thread

Old 9/15/04, 07:26 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BEK355@September 15, 2004, 6:29 PM
V10,

Very well said. I believe your statement accurately describes the situation. I think Ford is overwhelmed with GT orders because there is such a positive response from Mustang enthusiasts for this new car, and of course we want V8 power. I think they should have thought of this, but as you said it is hard to plan for everything.
Thanks for the props, bro.

Yes, you, me and a whole bunch of other hard core Stang people would have predicted that sales for the GT would be way above historical levels. But when you are the Ford employees and managers who have to make ALL the model and option build decisions, back in April 2004, you tend to err on the conservative side. Your boss will be a lot less upset to see that GT sales are higher than you guessed than he would be if you ordered WAY too many parts for GTs and had to figure out where to store those parts or have to add rebates on the GT to pump up sales.

Those who ordered their '05 Stangs back in May, June and July are sitting pretty right now. If there are fewer GTs built than what the demand is, it will keep resale values high on GTs. So it's not all bad news.

From the image of the build mix data, it looks like Ford had bumped up the IUP build mix to 50%, from the original plan of 35%. So that's good news too.

Finally, the BEST news is, if Mustang sales are stronger than predicted AND the sales of high profit options are strong too, that means the Mustang will be very profitable. The higher the profit on the '05 Stang the more $$ the bean counters will OK for future development on the new Stang. That is in the future we'll get even more options and SEs. As I said there is good news in this!
Old 9/15/04, 07:29 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
hahah the reason being, all of the pre-orders are by people who REALLY want the car...mostly V8 GT

Once the cars are at the lots, on the streets, the V6 sales will kick off.
Another problem is...V6 Vert sales...won't kick in till 2005.

Everyone informed of the 05, wants the V8 with small numbers of V6s.
The masses, will eventually buy the 6s, and even it out.
It'll take time....

Considering all Mustangs shown (majority) have been the GT, in ads, at shows, on the Pony tour..... Look at the innovation drive...HOW many people wanted to drive the 6?
Old 9/15/04, 07:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have been too busy for the boards lately. Maybe this was already noted, but, did anyone notice the note at the bottom of the report: "Mustang convertible job 1 jan. 31, 2005"
Old 9/15/04, 07:34 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by houtex@September 15, 2004, 5:59 PM
The GT hold is a CAFE problem, I bet... Too many GTs make CAFE sad...

But I am absolutely stumpified about the IUP hold. Why the heck would that matter? I would think, given it's extra profit, that they'd like it to be at 85% or something like that... :scratch:

Or is that the IAC that's on hold? If that's it, well, uh, I'm still stumpified. *WHY* wouldn't you want them to sell?
I agree, with CAFE being an issue. CAFE is a big deal among the auto manufacturers, and it WILL affect how many GTs get built vs. v6s.
Old 9/15/04, 07:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
autothing-

Please stop trying to justify what you said. If you had spent a little bit of time and searched for BEK's name, you would see how credible it is.

For a lot of people, at least for me, if BEK posts something about what he heard or of a delay, it is credible and I will believe him even without proof. From now on, trust him, he has never let us down.
Old 9/15/04, 07:35 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by klous@September 15, 2004, 8:22 PM

The orignal post un-necessarly alarmed many people including myself.
If you're that alarmed, take a prozac.
Old 9/15/04, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by autothing@September 15, 2004, 5:01 PM
This is SO not true.

You show me ANY, ANY proof Ford has notified dealers of this. I bet there is none. Ford does not call each and every dealer with "verbal" notices like this either.
There is an easier, more polite way of asking for proof, as opposed to pretty much calling him a liar. Check out who's making the statement, ask for proof instead of bashing him. Search Bruces history, he doesn't seem to be one for putting out bogus info.
Old 9/15/04, 07:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts
FIrst of all, thanks to everyone working for Ford or dealerships that shares inside scoop with us mere civilians. Your esprit de corps is appreciated and speaks well of your understanding of the enthusiasm we (and you) have for this car.

I forsee perhaps a redux of 1965 - people choosing their hard-to-come-by Mustang on the lot and sleeping in it so it couldn't be sold out from under them??? (Happened in Philadelphia, if I recall). Ford wasn't ready for the response then either, but they figured out solutions pretty quick.

People showing up at your business eager to hand you large amounts of money has a way of motivating folks to create solutions. It'll all be OK.
Old 9/15/04, 07:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Rereading my original post, maybe I should have said upfront that this would not affect already scheduled orders. I thought I wrote it in a future tense as to indicate a future issue. I will edit the post to include this. I do try to post this kind of info without bias, but in all honesty, I am as frustrated as anyone by delays as they effect me greatly in performing my job and helping my customers and employees. And the people I have met on this site.
Old 9/15/04, 08:04 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by BEK355@September 15, 2004, 7:40 PM
This could be good. Weed out the people who really don't love the Mustang and jump ship. Help those who are dedicated and loyal to get theirs quicker.
Let's not take it to far with rumors of the plant blowing up or anything. Not that you guys would do that to get your car quicker.
If you can't wait a little bit, you don't need one anyhow
Old 9/15/04, 08:12 PM
Cobra Member

Boy... Bruce is such a dirty and filthy liar.

How 'bout an apology, n00bs?!!

Come on... swallow that pride and just admit that you showed no etiquette in your replies.
Old 9/15/04, 08:14 PM

come on, show some love
Old 9/15/04, 08:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Dang Ford for making a Mustang that chevy drivers want.
Old 9/15/04, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I've been lurking here quite a while, almost a year before I registered, so I'm no NOOB' by any means. I read almost every post in the 05' forum. I think having ratings for members might solve alot of this. It could show alot more about a posting/replying member, than just one statement. For example, this could have been avoided had autoTwing seen his ratings............ Some people just like to try to geek people up to get their own LITTLE rise out of them. end of story, BEK and Kevin pretty much rule, so ignore the ignorant remarks from those uneducated people.....
Old 9/15/04, 09:06 PM
V6 Member

Wow... I read the original post right after Bruce put it up. I believed it, because I know of all the other good information he's given, and because I know he works for a dealership.

It's funny to come back several hours later to see how crazy this thread became after I posted the first reply. I'm certainly glad to see that my order that was made in June should not be affected.

Everyone relax... simmer down!
Old 9/15/04, 10:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by BEK355@September 15, 2004, 4:35 PM
Ford has notified the dealers that they can only build GTs at 50% of production. Ford has also said the the Interior upgrade package can only be ordered at 35% of production. This means that Ford will build half of all cars as V6s and will force dealers to take them. This will definitely delay the production and delivery of some sold GT orders, as half of all allocation will be V6 regardless of order status.
This will make a GT Mustang even harder to get and is in line with what Ford announced in their initial build plans. There are just too many GT orders.

EDIT: This production restraint should not effect the delivery of already scheduled cars. Once a car is scheduled and has a build date, Ford has allocated the necessary parts to build the car. If your car has not been scheduled, this restraint COULD delay your car.
I have a couple of questions on this subject-
1-If Ford can't build enough GTs to meet the expected demand for the car at this time, how soon can we expect to find them in the showrooms?
2-Since it looks like many people want the GT, and the dealers will be overstocked on the V6 will dealers be offering better deals on that model?
Old 9/16/04, 05:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Question

Thanks for notifying us. I ordered in June and I was expecting to get mine in October sometime, my dealer still hasn't given me a build date. I hope I don't have to wait any longer. I'll have a seizure. And I'll have to drive it in the snow. Nooooo. No seriously. I hope my order is alright.
Old 9/16/04, 05:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by AZOmae@September 15, 2004, 5:02 PM
Ok, if I don't get my GT in mid-late Oct. I'm going to get a 350Z. :bang:
Patience my friend, a 350Z is no Mustang and you will regret buying that car when you see a Mustang GT pull up next to you at a light and it looks better then that 350A-

350Z :nono:
Old 9/16/04, 06:04 AM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Mike McRann@September 15, 2004, 10:21 PM
2-Since it looks like many people want the GT, and the dealers will be overstocked on the V6 will dealers be offering better deals on that model?
That's simple supply and demand economics. If you have too many of one product, you reduce the price to try to sell them faster (V6). If there is a shortage of a product you can usually charge more for it (V8).

Eventually the supply and demand for GTs will balance out. From the memo, Ford has already upped the planned GT production form 38% to 50%. That means Ford originally planned to build about 62,400 GTs, but now will build about 97,500 GTs (over the next 12 months). That's a HUGE increase (56%) in the # of GTs they are going to build !

For those who have posted "Ford screwed up" do you realize that Ford has been able to rapidly increase GT production by 56%. How is that "screwing up"?

As others have said, it seems that more people are inclined to order a GT. This is the hard core Mustang customer base. But the majority of V6s are purchased by women and younger people who are not fanatical Mustang customers. So I would expect V6 sales to pick up significantly once they are sitting on dealer lots.

Eventually the sales and production will balance out, but it may take 6 months for this to happen.
Old 9/16/04, 06:20 AM
Bullitt Member

According to the ordering guide on Brad's site 12% GT production is deluxe and 20% is GT premium now by my calculations that is a total of 32% total GT production. So if Ford is saying that GT is at 50% production then that means that it increased by 18%. Ford increased GT production because of demand and decreased production because of no demand on the V6. So you guys have nothing to worry about you will all get your Mustangs.

Quick Reply: GT Mustang now 50% build restrained