2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

GT Brake Noise (Long!)

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/05, 07:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I, like several others, have noticed a high-pitched whine when applying the brakes. My car is too new (8,300 miles - problem started at around 2,500 miles) to have this problem and it's a little embarassing! Anyhow, I took the car to the dealer to have it checked out. They could not reproduce the problem (they must not have tried at all - I can't drive the car without hearing the noise). Nonetheless, the service manager said he had no doubt that my brakes probably did squeal because several other '05 Mustang owners have reported the same problem. In one case, he replaced all four rotors and all the pads w/OEM stuff, and after a while, that car developed the same squeaky brakes that it had before. The service manager said the best way to get Ford to do something (a TSB or providing pads with a different composition, etc.), is for everyone with this problem with a car under warranty to take them to be serviced. Ford gets billed for the warranty repairs, so after they pay enough out getting this problem checked on, maybe they will take some action. The service manager also strongly advised against using the commercially available goo that you can use to quiet brake noise.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Mustang and this is a minor problem. Still, it shouldn't be a problem at all. Any ideas?
Old 7/28/05, 08:41 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squealing brakes is one of the top complaints about all cars, not
just the Mustang. Every disc brake equipped car made in the world can have squealing brakes. It is the nature of the device.

A gadget that might fix the problem, or might be just another thing to go wrong