2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greedy Dealer Gives Me No Option

Search this Thread

Old 9/19/04, 06:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see that the slime is starting to ooze out of the woodwork around here after reading some of the posts this week. I ordered my 05 on 5/24 (GT Premium). I have been checking with the dealer weekly for my build date. Last Friday he tells me I' bucked (see post just got bucked) I get to work and I'm just estatic about the whole thing. Then I look at the order sheet and realize they ordered the wrong color. After looking even closer I realize the dealer highlighed the wrong order on the sheet, mine was the one above it, still in clean/unsched status. I also noticed he didn't order it until 6/6 two weeks after I gave him my deposit. I went straight over to the dealer after work and pointed out his error and asked why he didn't place my order the day I was in. His reply was that the date on the sheet did not mean anything that's just the date Ford puts on it. I said why then do all the other mustang orders say ordered on 5/25. He again said its just the date Ford puts on there. (lie, lie, lie I said to myself) So at this point I'm aggitated so I sprung the x-plan on him and he says I doubt very much we can accept that plan. I told him to ask. He comes back and says no why should I only make $600 dollars on a car I can make $6000 on. I'm going to sell these for more than MSRP he tells me. I said fine cancel my ordered and return my deposit. I'm at a loss, this guy did NOTHING to sell this car. He new nothing from the get go, I gave him all the updates I got from here. (order date, job 1 date, prices out etc) Greedy bastard, I hope the frigin car is still sitting on his lot next winter!!!!!!! :notnice: I should have kicked him in the........wazoo
Old 9/19/04, 06:42 AM

wow that bites. at least he was willing to give up the deposit with a hassle.
Old 9/19/04, 08:27 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me at how some salesmen expect you to come in, and spend a lot of money, and not ask questions.

He comes back and says no why should I only make $600 dollars on a car I can make $6000 on. I'm going to sell these for more than MSRP he tells me.
yeah riiiiight.
Old 9/19/04, 08:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by icemant180@September 19, 2004, 8:29 AM
I see that the slime is starting to ooze out of the woodwork around here after reading some of the posts this week. I ordered my 05 on 5/24 (GT Premium). I have been checking with the dealer weekly for my build date. Last Friday he tells me I' bucked (see post just got bucked) I get to work and I'm just estatic about the whole thing. Then I look at the order sheet and realize they ordered the wrong color. After looking even closer I realize the dealer highlighed the wrong order on the sheet, mine was the one above it, still in clean/unsched status. I also noticed he didn't order it until 6/6 two weeks after I gave him my deposit. I went straight over to the dealer after work and pointed out his error and asked why he didn't place my order the day I was in. His reply was that the date on the sheet did not mean anything that's just the date Ford puts on it. I said why then do all the other mustang orders say ordered on 5/25. He again said its just the date Ford puts on there. (lie, lie, lie I said to myself) So at this point I'm aggitated so I sprung the x-plan on him and he says I doubt very much we can accept that plan. I told him to ask. He comes back and says no why should I only make $600 dollars on a car I can make $6000 on. I'm going to sell these for more than MSRP he tells me. I said fine cancel my ordered and return my deposit. I'm at a loss, this guy did NOTHING to sell this car. He new nothing from the get go, I gave him all the updates I got from here. (order date, job 1 date, prices out etc) Greedy bastard, I hope the frigin car is still sitting on his lot next winter!!!!!!! :notnice: I should have kicked him in the........wazoo
I think we will hear many similar stories as time goes by and this car becomes a reality to dealers. Many dishonorable dealers are going to realize this is a hot car and they are going to want to try to sell them for as much as possible. If you are under the impression that you are getting a discounted price on a Mustang, I would highly recommend that you get a Buyers Order signed by an Authorized Manager with your price agreement clearly disclosed. Also, I would recommend putting down a refundable deposit. Accepting a deposit helps to legalize your purchase contract.
As a side note; it does not matter at all what date your dealer enters your order into the Ford order bank. It only matters that your order is in, and correctly prioritized and configured, on the Wednesday of the week the dealer expects to have your car pulled from his available allocation. Other than that, the order enter date has no importance.
Old 9/19/04, 08:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by icemant180@September 19, 2004, 6:29 AM
So at this point I'm aggitated so I sprung the x-plan on him and he says I doubt very much we can accept that plan. I told him to ask. He comes back and says no why should I only make $600 dollars on a car I can make $6000 on. I'm going to sell these for more than MSRP he tells me.
Not to beat a dead horse here, but everybody should keep in mind that you need get everything agreed to, in writing, up front. Most dealers count on you being so excited when your car finally comes in that they figure they can bump your price a little and you'll take it. At the time of placing the order, get an agreed upon price including trade value, whether they'll accept any of your programs (x-plan, a-plan, AAA, etc..), order conformation sheet reviewed and signed as "ok to order" so there is no confusion on ordered options or colors. Make sure everything is in writing ahead of time.

Not saying you shouldn't trust your salesperson, because you should. If you feel you can't trust them, you should probably be doing business somewhere else anyway. The problem is I, as a salesperson, might talk to a few hundred people between when you order and when your car arrives. I'm not going to remember every word of each discussion I've had with everyone. Don't put yourself in a position to be screwed or you probably will be.

Paul
Old 9/19/04, 09:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BEK355@September 19, 2004, 9:00 AM

I think we will hear many similar stories as time goes by and this car becomes a reality to dealers. Many dishonorable dealers are going to realize this is a hot car and they are going to want to try to sell them for as much as possible. If you are under the impression that you are getting a discounted price on a Mustang, I would highly recommend that you get a Buyers Order signed by an Authorized Manager with your price agreement clearly disclosed. Also, I would recommend putting down a refundable deposit. Accepting a deposit helps to legalize your purchase contract.
As a side note; it does not matter at all when your dealer enters your order into the Ford order bank. It only matters that your order is in, and correctly prioritized and configured, on the Wednesday of the week the dealer expects to have your car pulled from his available allocation. Other than that, the order enter date has no importance.
I did just that I have a signed buyer's order and put down 500 I am paying 400 over invoice.I went in and showed them the price list I had and told them I would give them 400 over and a deposit to order what I want.The sales man went and checked my numbers and said they looked good and we got it signed by the sales manager.

In the past I have had sales men tell me I had bad numbers and that I was about 1000 dollers off (this was on a f-150). When I got up and started to leave and they asked what I was doing I told them I will give you over invoice but if you don't want to be stright with me I will give my money to someone that will.At this point he didn't want to go back on what he said so I went to another dealer and got what I wanted.

What I think is so cool around here is that there are some salesmen that are posting how it is.Seems to me in this day and age when you can get the info on pricing so easy that the straight shooting salesmen will make more sales.The old ways are going the way of the house and buggies. Just my 2 cents
Old 9/19/04, 09:55 AM
Cobra Member

I am going to take Kevin's quote here.

Kick your dealer in the ding-ding
Old 9/19/04, 10:32 AM
Bullitt Member

05 Grey Gt said:

"What I think is so cool around here is that there are some salesmen that are posting how it is.Seems to me in this day and age when you can get the info on pricing so easy that the straight shooting salesmen will make more sales.The old ways are going the way of the house and buggies. Just my 2 cents"

I hope so. Soon.
Old 9/19/04, 10:36 AM

Who would want to lie to people for a living? Their worse then the scum on the bottom of me shoe. I can’t believe that people try to defend car salesmen on any front.
Old 9/19/04, 10:37 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
uhhh you mean horse and buggies i think
Old 9/19/04, 11:56 AM
Cobra Member

Script-You know, there are some GOOD salesman. You know, the ones who give you good information, and are nice to you in telling you about the car. I seem to know a couple somewhere around here...
Old 9/19/04, 12:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by burningman@September 19, 2004, 10:40 AM
uhhh you mean horse and buggies i think
Your right but you all know what I'm trying to say

And yes there are good sales men out there I have worked with a number of them.
Old 9/19/04, 12:09 PM
Queen Of Nascar

I am driving about 50 miles out of the way to deal with a straight shooting salesman that my family has bought numerous cars from. From the get go he never said no, and appreciated the fact that I had info that they may not have otherwise known without some researching. Now if they would just start shipping the cars!!
Old 9/19/04, 12:48 PM
GT Member

While we are on the subject, here is my story.
After 2 weeks of shopping around I was able to get this dealer to agree on 400 over invoice or AAA pricing which ever is cheaper. This is an internet sales manager that we are talking about here. He is going to put my order in the system on tuesday and seems always so casual when I talk to him, almost like he doesn't care about this deal. I keep insisting that I will put a deposit and he says if thats what you want to do. I don't need a deposit.
I plan to go to him on Wednesday and pay a deposit of 500$ and get the pricing in writing. I have seen the initial Order Confirmation Screen in which they enter all the options and all looks good including the Priority 10.
Any guesses if this dealer is trying to pull something on me. He did tell me that, if you don't want the car I will sell it to some one else as I am ordering a pretty standard car, Blk GT Prem with most of the options.
Old 9/19/04, 01:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think as a buyer...It's important to get a salesperson/dealer that you are comfortable with. Also that sounds like an excellant deal. Remember in a few weeks there will be a HUGE buzz on these cars so my guess deals will get few and far between. You as the buyer need to get the deal in writing and then KEEP up with the dealership on it. If you show that you are involved in every facet of the purchase 99 % of the time you will keep the dealer on his "Toes" regardless whether they are "Interested" in your car or not. Don't hound them just stay in regular touch and prompt them when necessary. Remember you have the advantage of "Insider " info courtesy of Brad here B)
Old 9/20/04, 06:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Things might be looking a little brighter for me today. Another local dealer (high volume) told me they would honor the x-plan and said that they would even offer me one of thier GT's from the first allotment. If one of the cars coming in dosn't have the color/options that I want they would order me one. He's goning to call me today with the specs on the cars that they already ordered. With any luck they will have already ordered what I want (or close enough to it). I should be able to cement this deal in writting this time with prices now available. For any of you folks who figure on using the x-plan tell them right up front and get it in writting. Don't wait to tell them like I did, you might not like the result. :bang:
Old 9/20/04, 06:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by icemant180@September 19, 2004, 6:29 AM
and North American auto companies are wondering why the Japanese are outselling them! Go figure! :bang: :scratch:
Old 9/20/04, 07:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Script@September 19, 2004, 11:39 AM
Who would want to lie to people for a living? Their worse then the scum on the bottom of me shoe. I can’t believe that people try to defend car salesmen on any front.
almost everyone lies to or is deceptive at their jobs.
Old 9/20/04, 07:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Ice you should of had X-plan agreed to and written on the contract before ordering.
Old 9/20/04, 07:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

That doesn't mean you still shouldn't kick him in the ding ding though.

Quick Reply: Greedy Dealer Gives Me No Option