2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Grade the stock manual shifter/clutch on the S-197

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/06, 08:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The clutch is great - smooth and takes barely more effort than my Acura RSX-S did. The only problem is the pedal squeaks for a while if the car is super cold. The gearbox feels good overall but has room for improvement. I'd like the throw to be a little shorter, especially the 2-3 shift, and more positive feeling. I also wish it wouldn't be notchy though neutral. My Acura was totally smooth in transitions to every gear, with a shorter throw and more positive "snick" into gear. I'm hoping a hurst shifter will make it closer to how the Acura was.
Old 2/23/06, 08:05 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks so much to all responders - this is a GREAT cross section of info and impressions!
awesome!

Yeah John, maybe we should have traded for five minutes at Old Towne!

(always feel weird about that though because I am so darn **** about my own car, I couldn't imagine asking someone else 'Hey gimme your car keys and lemme take your car for a spin!')

Anyone else with more input, jump in!

(Also anyone who has swapped out for a Steeda Triax, the Saleen shifter, etc.... you can throw in your thoughts about your new set up as well!)
Old 2/23/06, 02:16 PM
Bullitt Member

I hate the stock clutch. I'm sure if all you do is baby the car the clutch is probably great but if you spend any time at the track, the stock clutch is terrible. Mine was gone at 8k and 20 passes. Centerforce clutch ftw.
Old 2/23/06, 02:45 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
clutch- perfect
shifter- good but not great- except for third which I'd say poor...trying to grab third in a real hurry is a female dog.
all other gears I'd say pretty decent, but I would prefer it a little more 'clicky' for lack of a better term. my f150(93) Id say had perfect shifter, although long throw...that thing just had a feel as if it pulled itself into gear the last little bit, and gating was a 'never miss' issue. try powershifting a GT into third, I think Ive missed at least half...kinda embarassing...
If you put the shifter in first, and deflect it to the right, then put in third and deflect it to left, you can see the positions CAN actually overlap by about 1/2" at **** top- to me thats kinda 'too soft'- way too soft. I do not know how gate is constructed, but third reeds help for really being able to comfortably slam it in without having to hold your tongue just right...driving 'normally' its great all around, but 2-3 just takes too much time to powershift...but it can scratch the tires if ya get it right [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 2/23/06, 04:50 PM
GT Member

Clutch is okay but wimpy feeling compared to my old 88 5.0 Harder to modulate slip, but much less pressure which makes it easier as a daily driver. I would give it 4 out of 5. Shifter is smooth and quiet for the most part, less notchy feeling than some imports I owned. I can shift faster with this one than previous mustangs. I still plan to go with the Hurst to shorten the throws, plus the retro look goes with the theme of the car.
Old 2/24/06, 08:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

I love it compare to other manual cars i have driven, especially compared to the GTO. The GTO feels all over the place when shifting, and I can't figure out easily what gear im putting it into. The GT is very distinct yet smooth at the same time.