2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GOTCHA!

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/05, 04:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the past few days, I have sat and listened to a LOVELY little squeak start to show up. YAY! So, I take it upon myself to trouble shoot it. Here's what I observe:

1) It's coming from in the cabin
2) I notice it only when accelerating, stoping, and cornering
3) The sound reminds me of metal or plastic rubbing together
4) It SOUNDS like it's coming from the back of the car

Today, I got fed up in my driveway, and decided to figure out what is going on. I figured out what it is, and now I'm not sure how to fix it (well, I have an idea, but I'm hoping for something more permanent).

After accelerating and stopping a few times, I repeated the noise. I Isolated it to my seatback, and then further to the HANDLE that adjusts the seatback. if I lift the handle up, it squeeks at a few key points.

I removed the handle and clip and replaced the handle loosly on the output shaft LESS the clip. After moving the handle, I noticed that it wasn't squeeking. I noticed a little spot on the shaft that looks like it's been receiving some wear (metal clip on the shaft).

Further more, the CLIP is bent (could be from me removing it, but I'm not certain). I'm guessing that this clip is supposed to be strait, and it may have been crooked at some previous point (The handle has ALWAYS squeeked when lifted). SO... I'm going to bend the clip strait, lubricate the shaft and inside of the handle with Lithium, and replace. Hopefully this resolves the squeaking.

The reason I'm posting this is because I know some folks have had squeaking and rattling noises coming from the back of the car. You may want to examine your seatback handles to see if they are infact the culprit (as mine is). I'll post my results in a few minutes after I give it a shot.

I have attached 2 pics of the handle and the clip. pardon the bluryness... it was tough to get good shots. You can kind of see how the clip is bent in the shot of it by itself.

[attachmentid=26546][attachmentid=26547]
Old 7/6/05, 04:07 PM
GT Member

I have a squeak that's drivin' me nuts!!! Hmmm......I wonder....never would have thought it was that!!! Sounds like it's outside the car to me.
Old 7/6/05, 04:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

I found the bracket under the passengers seat to be rattling. I just tweaked it a little and it is gone.
Michael
Old 7/6/05, 04:13 PM
Bullitt Member

YEP! That was it! I bent the clip back into place, sprayed the inside of the handle (with the splines) and the shaft with some white lithium grease, put the clip back into the handle, and the handle back onto the shaft CAREFULLY so as not to bend the clip when it clicked into place. She's SMOOTH as silk now. It's actually even better than before! Problem soved, crisis averted, life may continue.

If you notice this problem, you may want to give this solution a whirl. Lithium should prevent the squeak from coming back as it holds MUCH longer than other lubricants.

Old 7/7/05, 07:00 AM
Bullitt Member

BUMP - FYI incase you didn't catch it. I won't bump it again, but Just want to make sure everyone gets to take a look.