Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got pulled over last night

Search this Thread

Old 10/14/05, 10:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've got a brand new Mustang GT, and I've been a bit worried about getting pulled over a lot due to the looks of the car. Well late last night on the way home this happened....

I was driving 60 mph on the highway and a cop cruises up and passes on by me. He gets way on up ahead and then starts slowing down, enough that I catch up to him and pass. He's following me for about 5 miles, mirroring every lane change I make. Finally its lights and sirens and a loud "Driver, pull over the vehicle!". :cop:

I pull over of course thinking this is probably the first of many incidents like this. My buddy is with me and he's agreeing the car is a cop magnet. "Driver turn off the vehicle and place both hands out the window! Slowly open the door from outside and get out!. I do so and what do I see? 2 cop cars, 4 cops all with guns pointed at me and yelling "Turn around, turn the F* around". At this point I'm pretty freaked out and I'm thinking about the beat-down the cops gave that poor New Orleans man this week, not a pretty picture. "Turn around and put both hands on your head. Walk backwards slowly, to the sound of my voice". I do so and they put me in handcuffs and into the back seat of the cop car. One of the officers is telling me I'm driving a stolen vehicle to which I reply they've made a mistake. Now while he's talking to me they are doing the same thing to my friend and put him in cuffs at the back of the vehicle. Two more cop cars show up and put all their lights on my Stang.

They left us in cuffs for a while and asked a lot of questions about the car. Good thing I still had my salesmans card in my wallet and mentioned all the names of people I dealt with at the dealer. Turns out my brand new license plates were in their system as stolen! From the backseat, in cuffs, I could see their computer and sure enough it showed as a stolen vehicle, but as the officer scrolled down then it showed my name and my dealers as well. The d@mn DMV screwed up big time and gave me stolen plates! Even after they figured this out they still left me in cuffs for a while, then finally let me out and back to my car and said I could go.

This really had me angry last night. But right now I'm more amused than angry. I'm on my way to the DMV to get new plates and give someone an earfull. I guess it's not my dealers fault since they just gave me what came from the DMV. Anyone else have this happen to them and if so what did you do about it?

Thanks,
Stephen
Old 10/14/05, 10:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, that must have been a crazy experience. I would definately raise heck at the DMV!!

I've only been asked to get out of my car once after getting pulled over by a cop, but it was for criminal speeding and there were no guns or cuffs involved.
Old 10/14/05, 11:04 AM
FR500 Member

That happened to me when I lived in California. It just happened that a black 77' 280Z just like mine had just been involved in a fatal hit and run a couple of miles away.

It was definately an eye opener to say the least! They spent a few minutes looking for damage on my car when they didn't find any quickly deducted I wasn't the guy they were after. They gave me a quick apology and released me.

Felony stops will get your attention for sure
Old 10/14/05, 11:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
I had a cop pull me once and give me a sobriety test, which is pretty amusing because, as I told him, I've never taken a drink in my life.

I played in a band, and we had just finished the night at a club. I guess he was staking out cars leaving the club (which actually, in Virginia, I believe they are not supposed to do, because of prosecution issues with entrapment.)

Oh yeah, I passed the test. Obviously.
Old 10/14/05, 11:09 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thats funny
Old 10/14/05, 11:13 AM
GT Member

Man that's worth the ordeal just for the story!
Old 10/14/05, 11:14 AM
Bullitt Member

That's one of the craziest stories I have ever heard! Glad everything got straightened out. I would definately give them a piece of my mind. When you go there, see if they can throw in a customized license plate for the embarrasment.
Old 10/14/05, 11:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

I think the plate should say NTSTOLN too
Old 10/14/05, 11:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow! At least it's good to know that the cops actually DO look for stolen vehicles.

Sorry you had to get hassled though.
Old 10/14/05, 11:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Stephen, here's a suggestion for what you should do:

DMV--> <--YOU

Old 10/14/05, 11:47 AM
V6 Member

Wonder why he ran your plates? Do cops get a briefing on recently stolen cars before they go on patrol?
Old 10/14/05, 11:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Holy crap, dude. yeah someone at DMV deserves an earfull and more.
Old 10/14/05, 11:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

What a story

Something similar happened to me but without the cuffs. I had forgotten the story until I read your post. I remember getting pulled over and to get out of the vehicle, hands out the window first then reach down and open the door using the outside handle. Hands to the back of my head and when I look back there is the officer with his gun drawn. I face my car, he waits for backup and when backup arrives he comes over and pats me down and tells me I'm driving a stolen car. I tell him no I'm not, it's mine and it WAS stolen a year before but obviously recovered. I give him lic/reg and I can see he looks confused. The officers sit me on the curb while they sort it out. Turns out DMV had re-issued me my stolen custom plates which the officers told me MV wasn't supposed to do. Then they brought me to the computer in their car to see for myself and sure enough, STOLEN. They let me go and I cleared it up with MV when I got back to work. But I was sooo nervous on my way back to work because I was afraid another random cop would end up driving behind me..
Old 10/14/05, 11:56 AM
Cobra Member

I don't blame the cops. They were doing the right thing. However, I would maybe talk to a lawyer and see if there is anything you can do about the DMV mistake. That's one heck of a mistake for them to make. Got to love our bureaucratic system we have.

By the way, now I'm gonna make sure I have an extra pair of jeans and unnda pants in my car just in case.
Old 10/14/05, 11:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Cornelius@October 14, 2005, 1:50 PM
Wonder why he ran your plates? Do cops get a briefing on recently stolen cars before they go on patrol?

The officers that pulled me over told me they routinely run the plates of any car they are following behind. Just good patroling.
Old 10/14/05, 12:25 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by blackhat97@October 14, 2005, 1:00 PM
The officers that pulled me over told me they routinely run the plates of any car they are following behind. Just good patroling.
That makes sense... and I'm glad to hear it.

Police did everything right here, though I have to second the "extra pair of jeans and unnda pants" comment! :shock:
Old 10/14/05, 12:45 PM
Cobra Member

Good times... I've been there before, but for a bit of a different reason. Got pulled over by a helicopter...
Once upon a time, my buddy, his wife, my girlfriend and I were all out one night in Albuquerque. We went to this club, which was reatrded as heck, so we left. We had some booze in the truck, so the girls started knockin' it back. We decided that we wanted to go out to the sand dunes on the west side of town.... far west. So, we're out there for a couple of hours in the middle of the night diggin' and cruisin' around the hills with a spot light. Well, we get bored and leave.... had to cross a median on old Route 66 to get going back east. ..... so then there's this spot light on the truck coming from above. I look up out the window, spotlight in hand 'cause I was gonna beam the donkey named jack pilot, and there it was... POLICE right on the bottom. I told my buddy I wasn't going to do it.
So this thinkg follows us back towards town. We pulled into a truckstop because we needed gas. When we pulled under the canopy the helicopter dropped low on the herizon and was circling. Then an unmarked car comes in a runs a lap around the parking lot, then pulls up right behind us. Then 6 more cars, marked and unmarked come flying into the parking lot and suround my buddy's truck. My friend is askin' the cop, "What goin' on? I don't recall doing anything wrong except driving accross the median.... in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night." The cop says, " When's the last time you've seen a helicopter make a routine traffic stop, now get your hiney up against the truck!" I was standin' there and I was told to do the same... they pulled the girls out of the truck and started searchin' the cab. We thought we were busted because my girlfriend was only 20, and had been drinkin' ... long story short (oh wait... too late) there was a 15 year old kid that lived right down by the club we were at that had whacked both of his parents, and fled in their truck which was exactly like my buddy's... they had been following us for hours. It only played out too well for the story.. us being out in the desert for hours, spotlight, etc.... like we were burrying bodies...
how often can someone say they were pulled over by a helicopter?
Old 10/14/05, 01:11 PM
Bullitt Member

at least you got an apology, Man one time I got a felony stop, here I am a white kid in a dark colored lowered mini truck in the mexican side of town taking this girl I know home. She did not live in the best part of town you know. So we are on her street and a sherrif rolls in behind me, lights going the whole deal.

Driver pull over. driver hands out the window, Left hand open the door from the outside, face foward, walk back, hands on head, down on knees, lye flat on the street. Cop comes over handcuffs me and leaves me in the street, ask for my id, while I am face down on the street mind you. Does something for a little bit and then comes back and says, ok you can now....

Hands me back my stuff, So I am getting up and brushing the road grim off of me and so I ask the cop, ok so what was that about and he just says you were not the kid we are looking for, gets in his car and drives off.

Man that sucked, at least they could say sorry or something.

Turns out I guess there was a drive by in the area and they said it was a dark colored mini truck. You would think it probably was some gangster looking guy not a white teenager wearing a polo shirt.

But it happens I guess
Old 10/14/05, 01:22 PM
FR500 Member

That sure is a story. I got pulled over the same way a few years ago... they call it a felony traffic stop. The whole getting out of the car with your hands up, and then walking backwards to the sound of the cops voice, and then being cuffed and thrown in the back of a police cruiser. It was like what you see on an episode of Cops or Wildest Police Videos. Mine was a complete misunderstanding also. But the cops did the right thing. Not sure why he passed you and then decided to let you get back in front so he could run your plate. <_< A little Mustang profiling, maybe?
Old 10/14/05, 01:48 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
man, that is just nuts. Good thing they didn't ruff you up at all.

Quick Reply: Got pulled over last night