2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Got the Mustang "Blues"

Search this Thread

Old 12/10/06, 11:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Got the Mustang "Blues"

My ride with less then 5000 miles on it goes into the bodyshop tomorrow for RUST of all things. I noticed at 3500 miles on it after getting out from under the car from installing my Tri-Ax. My drivers door has a sizable spot on the outside and all along the inside where the door skin is tacked to the door is rusting out. No boken paint yet but what the hell? I feel sick to my stomach since my 04 Mustang had to have every plastic piece re-painted due to it being messed up from the factory and it never looked right out of the body shop. I know I am just ranting here but just and this to the lack of quality and QA function Ford has right now. here are some pics. had a hard time getting the camera to focus in on it but you can still clearly see it.

Old 12/10/06, 11:27 AM
mhk
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe it. How is this possible?
Old 12/10/06, 11:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

No idea, only thing I can think of is the door had the rust when it was painted at the factory or there is a hole somewhere where water is getting in and sitting trapped.

<shrug> I just hope the body shop gets it right the first shot. I am really not in the mood to fight with them.
Old 12/10/06, 12:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

feel better this is what my car looks like at the moment

Old 12/10/06, 06:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never seen a car rust that fast. I noticed water does sit there on mine
Old 12/10/06, 07:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Not sure what is up. Interesting thing is I bought the car 8/3106 but it was built 2/06. I think I am afaraid to look at a carfax for it.
Old 12/10/06, 07:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

i have a carfax account if you want to pm me with it i can pm it back to you.
Old 12/10/06, 08:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

94tbird-everytime i see pictures of your car that way it makes me want to cry...hope the repairs are coming along good!
Old 12/11/06, 04:00 AM
Closet American

Did you buy this car new or used? If used, it could be the result of accident damage for sure.

I'd hate to think that all the problems at Ford are directly leading to slip-shod quality control as a consequence of angry or dissatisfied workers.
Old 12/11/06, 05:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Just curious - what type of wax/protection have you used in the past? The amount of rust in the photo shows that wax wouldn't have done much to prevent it, but I'm curious as to how the car was used and the method of cleaning/protection.
Old 12/11/06, 05:57 AM
Cobra Member

How's the passenger's door? I've never seen a new car rust that fast.
Old 12/11/06, 07:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Did you buy this car new or used? If used, it could be the result of accident damage for sure.

I'd hate to think that all the problems at Ford are directly leading to slip-shod quality control as a consequence of angry or dissatisfied workers.
Yes it was bought new with 221 miles on it. I suspect though there was some paint work done on the passenger side. Above the door between the plastic trim and where the roof meet I found a good amount of compound in one spot. I used to do custom paint work and I can't find any spots where something may have been re done. If it was, they took the car apart in the re done areas as I can't find any overspray or tape lines.

Originally Posted by metroplex
Just curious - what type of wax/protection have you used in the past? The amount of rust in the photo shows that wax wouldn't have done much to prevent it, but I'm curious as to how the car was used and the method of cleaning/protection.
Actually just normal washing. I just waxed it last weekend for the first time with Mothers Carnubal wax also. Wax wouldn't have stopped it as it is under the clear and paint and coming from the inside. My guess is water is getting in somehow and sitting in the bottom of the door.

Originally Posted by lodom
How's the passenger's door? I've never seen a new car rust that fast.
Well I looked at it closely last night and noticed a couple spots that look more like dirt in the paint (on the inside, nothing on the outside). I pointed it out when I dropped the car off and told them to fix it also (not taking any chances).

Of note though, The writer did tell me Ford knows about this and is not uncommon. I know I am not going to convey this right but he mentioned something about the doors get an aluminum coating (????) applied to them from the factory and sometimes it causes a reaction on the steel when painted. He then said it is mostly seen on the inside of hoods on Explorers and Expiditions (will have to check my explorer when I get home). This sort of does make sense, my friend has a similar issue on his 06 but not on the door but on the edge of his hood at the front on the inside.

Just sucks. My car is scheduled to be in the body shop at the end of the month for an aftermarket hood, front and rear fascia, and scoops. No way I was going to trust a dealer to finish the prep work correctly on the aftermarket stuff.

I'll post updates as I get them.
Old 12/11/06, 07:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Are your door drains cleared of debris?
Old 12/11/06, 10:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
Are your door drains cleared of debris?
Yea they are. No telling how long the rust has been going on. The car was built in Febuary and even I didn't notice it until a couple months after buying it. If moisture is the cause then it has had 10 months to get to the point it is at.
Old 12/11/06, 10:52 AM
Cobra Member

Wow, your car had 221 miles on it and it was sold as new? Mine had 7 miles on it when I picked up...

Is it actually rust or is paint bubbling due to some contaminant under it?
If it is rusted, hopefully you can get them to replace the entire door...
Old 12/11/06, 10:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
Wow, your car had 221 miles on it and it was sold as new? Mine had 7 miles on it when I picked up...
Demo cars driven by salespeople are still sold as "new" even if they have 3000+ miles on the odometer.
Old 12/11/06, 10:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
You guys might also want to check the same seam under the hood on the front lip. I have seen others starting to rust/bubble up there also.

My tbird did that also within 2 years, but i bought it 2 years old. From experience the mustang gets wiped down in and all around the door jambs every wash! with always a good couple of coats of wax on them.
Old 12/11/06, 11:59 PM
FR500 Member

Aluminum coating on steel? Hmm... wouldn't that encourage electrolysis? Time for the "sacrificial zinc" mod. Best guess would be shoddy prep/painting. If not for the info, I would've sworn that was a '80's GM door with that rust problem. Hope you get this resolved soon.
Old 12/12/06, 02:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hey guys, remember all the Mustangs underwater down in New Orleans last year after the Hurricane went through? Ever wonder where they all ended up? I hope they all got crushed. The video posted on here was very depressing.
Old 12/12/06, 04:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
You guys might also want to check the same seam under the hood on the front lip. I have seen others starting to rust/bubble up there also.

My tbird did that also within 2 years, but i bought it 2 years old. From experience the mustang gets wiped down in and all around the door jambs every wash! with always a good couple of coats of wax on them.
The hood is aluminum or at least a lightweight non-ferromagnetic metal alloy.

Quick Reply: Got the Mustang "Blues"