2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Glassback Factory Option in 2009?

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/07, 05:21 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do you guys oppose its introduction as an option?! I say bring on as many optional features as possible, there's nothing wrong with freedom of choice.
Old 10/6/07, 06:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Louie
Why do you guys oppose its introduction as an option?! I say bring on as many optional features as possible, there's nothing wrong with freedom of choice.

+1 ...the more options, the better
Old 10/6/07, 06:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

+1 Yes.
Old 10/6/07, 06:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PACETTR
Yeah, ruined!

thats a sweet car! except for that glass roof on there!
Old 10/6/07, 09:06 AM

Yeah, I would love the option.

But for some reason, I'm worried that it will be cheaper to get a higher quality aftermarket glassback... hopefully not. (examples: Shaker 1000, factory navigation, etc.. I also ended up buying the OEM rubber floor mats & OEM moulded mud guards aftermarket, because Ford charges something ridiculous for that)
Old 10/6/07, 09:08 AM
Cobra Member

It would be cool for a cruiser, but I would put one on my baby.
Old 10/6/07, 11:51 AM
Cobra Member

I say bring it on!

The concept that it ruins the Mustangs muscle car heritage is unfortunately flawed. If this were the case then air conditioning, leather seats, air bags, an after-market stereo, or Nav system would do pretty much the same thing. AM Radio anyone?
Old 10/6/07, 12:12 PM
Bullitt Member

At least with a vert you can put the top up when the sun is far too hot. This thing is like driving around in a green house. Sorry, but for anyplace in the south, this thing is an awful idea. The factory AC system could never keep up as is so Ford would have to redesign that too if this were a factory option, adding further to the cost. This could well end up = or higher than a vert.
Old 10/6/07, 12:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jcthorne
At least with a vert you can put the top up when the sun is far too hot. This thing is like driving around in a green house. Sorry, but for anyplace in the south, this thing is an awful idea. The factory AC system could never keep up as is so Ford would have to redesign that too if this were a factory option, adding further to the cost. This could well end up = or higher than a vert.
Not any hotter than a metal roof, at least not the Saleen version. I was informed that they tested two black cars side-by-side and they were within a couple of degrees of each other. I have had mine since late July and 0 complaints...
Old 10/6/07, 12:47 PM
Cobra Member

But don't leave home without your sunglasses!!!
Old 10/6/07, 12:51 PM
GT Member

with out a doubt
Old 10/6/07, 01:01 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by jcthorne
I imagine they could put some sort of rolled cloth sunshade in as with the Edge/Flex Vista Roof. If they want to get really fancy they can use an electroluminescent panel in pace of normal glass, though that's pricey.

I don't see how this would at all affect the "muscle car heritage" of the Mustang. Think of it as the modern upgrade of the T-top. Besides, if Zee Germans can steal our big, nasty V8s and throw them in their sedans, we should be able to pilllage from Europe's best options as well.
Old 10/6/07, 01:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Anyone that lives in a hot climate will tell you that it become broiling after a few minutes under the sun.
Old 10/6/07, 01:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
Anyone that lives in a hot climate will tell you that it become broiling after a few minutes under the sun.
See post #29 for a difference of opinion and he actually has a glass roof. I would definitely consider having one.
Old 10/6/07, 02:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It's only a tad hotter with the GlassBack... mostly brighter .

My air conditioner works so well the setting never goes over number 2 and most of the time number 1 is way too cold.

Old 10/6/07, 02:25 PM
Cobra Member

Hey Mr. MI, I live in OK (hint: it's hot as **** in the summer here), and I have one...
Old 10/6/07, 02:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by PACETTR
Hey Mr. MI, I live in OK (hint: it's hot as **** in the summer here), and I have one...
What type of tinting does your glass roof utilize?
The vehicles equipped with skylights/glass roofs in Iraq become broilers under the sun due to the solar load. The vehicles with metal/covered tops are cooler by several degrees.

Small things like having a bright color interior and brighter exterior paint can mean the difference between 10-20F or more under the sun (absorption and transmission of radiation).

From my own personal experience, I would definitely PREFER a glasstop or at least a sunroof even in the summer because of all the extra light that comes in. I did notice the car interior being hotter than normal with the sunroof glass exposed due to solar loading. I suppose with the right tinting and glass coatings you could reduce the effects of solar loading.
Old 10/6/07, 02:36 PM
Cobra Member

What type of tinting does your glass roof utilize?
The vehicles equipped with skylights/glass roofs in Iraq become broilers under the sun due to the solar load. The vehicles with metal/covered tops are cooler by several degrees.

Small things like having a bright color interior and brighter exterior paint can mean the difference between 10-20F or more under the sun (absorption and transmission of radiation).

From my own personal experience, I would definitely PREFER a glasstop or at least a sunroof even in the summer because of all the extra light that comes in. I did notice the car interior being hotter than normal with the sunroof glass exposed due to solar loading. I suppose with the right tinting and glass coatings you could reduce the effects of solar loading.
I had no additional tinting done. I guess the glass just has EXCEPTIONAL heat rejection qualities. FWIW, the cars Saleen tested were black...
Old 10/6/07, 03:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by codeman94
if it was in between coupe and vert prices, I would say it has a place, and I would definatley consider it.
yes yes yes +1

And a retrofit to an 07 would be nice
Old 10/6/07, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Man
It's only a tad hotter with the GlassBack... mostly brighter .

My air conditioner works so well the setting never goes over number 2 and most of the time number 1 is way too cold.

Dude, I live in Washington DC, and my AC is always at 3 or 4. (with recirculate off)

I'm pro-glassback, but also worried about getting hot. I get hot easily..

Quick Reply: Glassback Factory Option in 2009?