2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Ghost Door Mustang Logo Lights

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/14, 09:10 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ghost Door Mustang Logo Lights

Picked up a set of these not knowing what I was in for. After nearly 2 days, I finally have the freakin' things installed. I say "freakin'" things because they were a total nightmare to wire in. You're supposed to wire them in parallel with the courtesy lights in the car door. Only problem is there are no courtesy lights in the door on these Mustangs. So I found the "door ajar" switch (which tests good for 12vdc) and spliced into those wires. No joy. There is almost NO current on those wires so when I open the door, the logo lights are so dim that you can hardly see them. Turns out the 12vdc from the door ajar gets drawn down to 5vdc when the light is on. Ugh.

So the next step was to find another 12vdc source in the door. I found one for the mirror and window switches. When I test those wires, yes, they have 12vdc but the same low amperage problem. The voltage drops to 5vdc like the door ajar switch. Finally, I found a hot 12vdc battery source feeding the window motor. Only problem is if I splice into those wires, the logo light will be on all the time.

So I installed a little toggle switch next to the door's lower reflector on each door and they solved that problem. Got everything back together and I have to say, I'm pleased with the result but man, did this suck. Opinions?

Old 2/23/14, 10:03 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
what about the wires you use to install the door sills? wouldnt that work?
Looks great though. Congrats!
Old 2/23/14, 10:04 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VGMStudios
what about the wires you use to install the door sills? wouldnt that work?
Looks great though. Congrats!
Thanks! Yes, but I didn't want to rip apart the sills, side panels, running wires through the door feed through, etc.