2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Getting Strut Popping fixed on Friday....

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/05, 11:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I went in to the dealership today, they told me that they already have the parts, and to just schedule an appt. Service person told me that this is occuring on only the GT's. Not sure if this is BS or not, and I don't really care......just fix mine.
Old 6/18/05, 09:18 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm getting mine done on Tuesday. Had to wait 2 weeks for the parts to come in.
The TSB does not specify GT or V6. It might be that they have only seen it on GT's.
Old 6/20/05, 05:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Is it really a POPPING? I have heard a pop, when making a U-Turn, but lately now, it makes a whine when I turn the wheel. Is this a different problem? It is annoying and happens all the time now.

Porkster
Old 6/20/05, 06:28 AM
GT Member

I'm getting mine done on Saturday!
Old 6/20/05, 09:33 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by porkster@June 20, 2005, 5:29 AM
Is it really a POPPING? I have heard a pop, when making a U-Turn, but lately now, it makes a whine when I turn the wheel. Is this a different problem? It is annoying and happens all the time now.

Porkster

I have the whine too. I had the pop and the whine I get after I have driven about 15 or 20 minutes and all the parts are nice and warmed up. It is only at slow speeds like driving through a parking lot, and for me it is only when I turn left. About a month ago I brought it in for its first oil change, and to check out the popping and whine. (I knew about the TSB for the pop) They attributed the whine with the pop noise and fixed it according to the TSB. The popping was fixed but I still had the whine. So the following week I brought it back, and they took my car out for a drive for like 20 miles since it is only after driving awhile when you hear it, and found out that it is actually coming from the rear end. After a few more checks they determined that it is the rear differential. So this morning I took it in for a whole new rear end. New rear differential and I also needed a new coolant resevoir since mine started a slow small leak. They said the resevoir was cracked. They said it could take as long as a day and a half to replace my rear axle so will keep updated.
Old 6/20/05, 09:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for that info. Sounds exactly like mine. I hear it after it has warmed up! I will let my dealer know about your situation as well. Seems like it comes from the front though, because I hear it when I turn the wheel... unless it is just coincidence - going slower so it can be heard. ??

Thanks again.
porkster

Originally posted by srfan@June 20, 2005, 9:36 AM
I have the whine too. I had the pop and the whine I get after I have driven about 15 or 20 minutes and all the parts are nice and warmed up. It is only at slow speeds like driving through a parking lot, and for me it is only when I turn left. About a month ago I brought it in for its first oil change, and to check out the popping and whine. (I knew about the TSB for the pop) They attributed the whine with the pop noise and fixed it according to the TSB. The popping was fixed but I still had the whine. So the following week I brought it back, and they took my car out for a drive for like 20 miles since it is only after driving awhile when you hear it, and found out that it is actually coming from the rear end. After a few more checks they determined that it is the rear differential. So this morning I took it in for a whole new rear end. New rear differential and I also needed a new coolant resevoir since mine started a slow small leak. They said the resevoir was cracked. They said it could take as long as a day and a half to replace my rear axle so will keep updated.
Old 6/20/05, 09:53 AM
GT Member

My V6 pops also...
Old 6/20/05, 12:08 PM

Arrow

I don't know if mine is a popping sound, but I definitely hear noises from the front end when going over bumps or RR tracks...like the front end is going to fall apart.
Old 6/20/05, 04:31 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by porkster@June 20, 2005, 9:40 AM
Thanks for that info. Sounds exactly like mine. I hear it after it has warmed up! I will let my dealer know about your situation as well. Seems like it comes from the front though, because I hear it when I turn the wheel... unless it is just coincidence - going slower so it can be heard. ??

Thanks again.
porkster

It does sound like it comes from the front. In fact when I first brought it in for the popping and whine I swore up and down it was from the front. So I think they attributed to the TSB. Then I got a different service writer who knew a little more what he was doing and gave it to his tech that works almost solely on drive trains and differentials and what not. He was the one that actually took it out and drove it for 20 miles and actually heard the sound, and found out that it was in the rear end. He even tried machineing my rotors and then put elephant ears up to the axle to listen to it, and found out it was the differential. They actually finished today took about 8 hours. Won't know until I drive it longer distance. When I go to work on Wednesday I will know for sure. Will keep ya posted.
Old 6/26/05, 12:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by srfan@June 20, 2005, 4:34 PM
It does sound like it comes from the front. In fact when I first brought it in for the popping and whine I swore up and down it was from the front. So I think they attributed to the TSB. Then I got a different service writer who knew a little more what he was doing and gave it to his tech that works almost solely on drive trains and differentials and what not. He was the one that actually took it out and drove it for 20 miles and actually heard the sound, and found out that it was in the rear end. He even tried machineing my rotors and then put elephant ears up to the axle to listen to it, and found out it was the differential. They actually finished today took about 8 hours. Won't know until I drive it longer distance. When I go to work on Wednesday I will know for sure. Will keep ya posted.

Well it has almost been a week since they have replaced my rear differential and so far so good. The whine is gone. Thank Goodness! I do have to say it was getting a bit fustrating there for awhile. I was very anxious when I went to work last Wednesday listening for the whine sound and so far all good!!
Old 6/26/05, 01:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took my car in for the front strut repair, an oil change and a tire rotation yesterday. The service advisor didn't think they could do the front struts done since that work is usually done during the week (my regular service advisor told me the work could be done on weekends, but he wasn't working yesterday).

Anyway, the work was done and the popping noise is gone.
Old 6/26/05, 01:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

anyone here have any poping sounds comming from the rear?
Old 6/26/05, 05:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by srfan@June 26, 2005, 2:38 PM
Well it has almost been a week since they have replaced my rear differential and so far so good. The whine is gone. Thank Goodness! I do have to say it was getting a bit fustrating there for awhile.
I'm taking my Stang in for a new rear end Monday. It vibrates when I mash the gas pedal from a stop. And it whines when I let off the gas pedal. Service guy said it was the "chunk"....cluster that's connected to drive shaft. I also have the strut popping noises. The parts(struts fix) are finally here after being backordered for a month.
Wish me luck!!
Old 6/26/05, 05:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I got mine done last week. I am extremely happy. No more popping!
Old 6/28/05, 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just got mine done today, took them about a week to get the parts, no more popping as far as I can tell.