2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Gentex Homelink Auto-dimming Compass Temperature Mirror Installed

Search this Thread

Old 12/24/06, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear you install went well That is why this Forum is so great, so we can help each other out! Hope you and yours have a very Merry Christmas!
Old 12/26/06, 11:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Rusty:

Glad to help out! I owe the guys (and girls here) a lot, so I'm glad I can return the favor to someone else.

Just out of curiosity, where did you end up installing your temp sensor?

Congrats on your mirror install! I know you'll enjoy it.

A.
Old 12/26/06, 04:48 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Rusty:

Glad to help out! I owe the guys (and girls here) a lot, so I'm glad I can return the favor to someone else.

Just out of curiosity, where did you end up installing your temp sensor?

Congrats on your mirror install! I know you'll enjoy it.

A.
Art,

Funny you ask about the temp sensor. I may have to move it. I put it about 5 inches to the right of where Craig put his. (Almost behind the horse but a little to the right of it in front of the radiator (under the cover) Craig put his to the left. Problem is when I am sitting still it is picking up the heat from the engine. When I am running down the road it settles down, but not when stopped for any period of time. But, that may be normal? It is not pointing toward the radaiator. I had thought about putting it where you did, but it seemed a little harder to get it there with the front bumper cover on. Directions that came with the unit said to put it anywhere between the rails about half way down in front and more than 8 inches from the bottom.. Does yours fluctuate that much when stopped?

Again, you and Craig have been lifesavers for me on this and I am thoroughly enjoying the mirror, just might have to adjust where I have the sensor

Thanks again for all the help. My wife couldn't believe that you guys would go to all the trouble you did to help me out on it. Told her that is why I enjoy these forums. There is so much help.

Rusty
Old 12/26/06, 05:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hello Rusty!

Glad you are enjoying the mirror, thanks for being so nice. You have a great Mrs. if she lets you hang out on these boards and mod your 'Stang! I give her a big !

You're going to get a bit of fluctuation in temperature when you are stopped just because the sensor is in fact under your hood and there is a lot of heat being generated by the engine.

The location I showed you in the pic is my second location, the first being similar to Craig's as well. I have had better luck (a LOT less fluctuation) with the sensor's current location and orientation. However, as you correctly pointed out, it's a PITA to get it there without taking off the bumper cover. I installed mine when I had the passenger front wheel and wheel well shroud off, it was do-able at that point.

Since you have everything back together at this point I'd recommend leaving it for now (and just deal with the fluctuation) but keep it in the back of your mind for the next time you are doing work in the area (as you will! you will! you will!)
Old 3/13/07, 07:00 AM

Temperature wires go where?

I've got my Gentex mirror installed, with all the wiring done except for the temperature wires. The compass, auto-dim and homelink work like a charm. EXCEPT, the temperature probe has two wires that terminate with two, small square leads that I assume plug into the back of the 10-pin main connector that goes into the back of the mirror. But which pins do I plug these wires into? With no instructions, and every Google set of instructions I've looked at aren't any help.

Here are pictures of the back of the 10-pin connector that goes into the back of the mirror and the two temperature probe wire leads. Where do these two leads go? Thanks, Tony

Old 3/13/07, 08:17 AM
GT Member

Does this help?
Attached Thumbnails Gentex Homelink Auto-dimming Compass Temperature Mirror Installed-picture-14.jpg  
Old 3/13/07, 12:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those mirrors look nice, but prefer the ones from Magna-Donnelley. The compass and temp are in the frame not the mirror glass.
Attached Images  
Old 3/13/07, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bee bop
Those mirrors look nice, but prefer the ones from Magna-Donnelley. The compass and temp are in the frame not the mirror glass.
Gotta link for where to get more info and where to buy them?
Old 3/13/07, 05:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes, but the Magna-Donnelly ones are not available with Homelink, so if you want that...which I did, you have to go with Gentex, as they have the contract with Johnson Controls the makers of Homelink.
Old 3/13/07, 05:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MrLatte
Does this help?
That diagram is the same one I used, so it should work for you Tony.
Old 3/13/07, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Pls post a link of where to buy it, or even a part number so I can search "The Google"
TIA
Old 3/13/07, 07:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is the link to their site. You can find a retailer from there.
http://www.magnadon.com/consumer/default.asp
Old 3/13/07, 07:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Buster
That diagram is the same one I used, so it should work for you Tony.
That's interesting, I don't remember having the leads just laying around like that. Mine were connected from the factory - I actually had to take apart my wiring harness to feed the sensor wires through the firewall.

Very interesting... design change?
Old 3/14/07, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by MrLatte
Does this help?
Yes, this helped out perfectly. Took a couple of minutes and the temperature readout works fine. Thanks!!

Regarding step 8 in the picture you provided... What does hooking the probe wires up to a toilet plunger do? LOL

Tony