2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Gas tank TSB performed yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/05, 01:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well droped my car off at 7am and picked it up at 1:30...everything seems good no problems filling up and to top it off when i installed my jba mufflers the drivers side could have been slightly moved to the right... well when they did the tank i guess they had to drop the mufflers... and the put them back perfectly straight....hehe now i dont need to climb under the car to fix them.:drive:
Old 8/10/05, 01:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

I wonder why some cars don't have the gas tank problem and some do. I don't think it has anything to dp with build dates. Mine was built 5/6/05 and i have never had a problem with filling it ?

Fritz, Silver Premium GT, IUP S1000 and KDWS 255/50/17s
Old 8/10/05, 03:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by FRITZ@August 10, 2005, 3:52 PM
I wonder why some cars don't have the gas tank problem and some do. I don't think it has anything to dp with build dates. Mine was built 5/6/05 and i have never had a problem with filling it ?

Fritz, Silver Premium GT, IUP S1000 and KDWS 255/50/17s

I know why.

I worked for the company that manufactures the venting system for the tanks as well as the fuel shut off in case of rollover.
To put it simply, you have a number of components that fit together to make an assembly. This assembly could have been put together using any one part out of a mutliple cavity injection molding process. Some of the combinations had interference issues intermittently. Technically the parts were in spec. It's just that some of the components were at the upper spec limit (lets say a male component) and some were at the lower spec limit (lets say a female part). Under certain conditions they failed. I no longer work for this company, but I can say when we kicked off the program in August of 2003, I thought it would never fly. When I left the company they had done major modifications to the tooling and worked out most of the issues.
Old 8/11/05, 07:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After researching my dealer confirmed what he told me initially. That is, the tank has just one pump and once 'Topped' off the tank will equalize and I will not have to worry about running out of gas again. He even went on to explain there are two sending units for the gauge blah blah blah ..... almost had me believing it ..
until I ran out of gas on the way home tonight. The gas gauge read almost exactly as it did the first time with 143 miles to empty showing on the message center vs. 136 miles to empty the first time. Fortunately I was able to coast to a gas station this time. I believe my dealer was sincere in their analysis ..

now I just think they are incompetent.

I'll bring my car in 1st thing in the morning. They will be surpised to see me as they were closed when this happened tonight. I am Pis*** :angry:
Old 8/12/05, 06:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 05SatinGT@August 11, 2005, 9:56 PM
After researching my dealer confirmed what he told me initially. That is, the tank has just one pump and once 'Topped' off the tank will equalize and I will not have to worry about running out of gas again. He even went on to explain there are two sending units for the gauge blah blah blah ..... almost had me believing it ..
until I ran out of gas on the way home tonight. The gas gauge read almost exactly as it did the first time with 143 miles to empty showing on the message center vs. 136 miles to empty the first time. Fortunately I was able to coast to a gas station this time. I believe my dealer was sincere in their analysis ..

now I just think they are incompetent.

I'll bring my car in 1st thing in the morning. They will be surpised to see me as they were closed when this happened tonight. I am Pis*** :angry:
John, sorry to hear about it again. Next time you go to the dealer, go to mine bro. Hows the push button start doing??
Old 8/12/05, 06:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Got my tank replaced yesterday. Takn seems to work fine now. Also the mech found some fluid leaking out of the rear differential. He said they mustn't have screwed it on tight enough or it was just defective, so they replaced it.
Old 8/12/05, 06:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Can someone explain to me what this problem is? And what TSB is? Im starting to worry about my car.
Old 8/12/05, 08:47 AM
Cobra Member

You know what the sad part is. I had mine replaced and have experienced the problem on two more occasions.
Old 8/12/05, 08:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

TSB stands for Technical Service Bullitin. Instead of having a massive recall that makes the mustang look bad, they have a quiet deal that has people come in on their own time. The TSB, from what I understand aren't life-threatening issues that HAVE to be fixed. All Ford dealers must comply with fixing the problems issued with the TSBs. So no need to worry GhostGT. Just print out a copy of theTSB you have, if you have one. Ford won't give you any crap.

Oh and this problem is just that when you go to fillup the gas tank, it keeps shuting off thepump prematurely, so it takes like 10 min to pump. Doesnt happen to every1 or every gas station.

This happens not just to mustangs, my families old Acura TL had this probem, so it's not just related to one car. Has to do with the venting system inside the tank(I think).
Old 8/12/05, 01:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well, my dealer called back. They tell me the car is now fixed. When they took the tank down they found they forgot to snap a fuel line on from the passenger side
of the tank. They were very apologetic and offered a free oil change for my trouble. I'll just be happy to not run out of gas again!
Old 8/12/05, 03:25 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally posted by wyldv6@August 9, 2005, 6:02 PM
Just had the TSB done today, after the service department called and told me the filler tube on replacement tank was damaged yesterday. I had no problems filling the tank, service guy even put in two gallons for me. Not only did they do the gas tank TSB; they also corrected the front strut one as well. All I did was mention a popping noise, the service writer said "we'll fix that as well, its TSB # blah blah blah" I was stunned he knew which one it was at all.:shock:

Dude - I'm surprised they just HAD the parts there for the strut TSB lying around and threw them at you like that - everything I have seen so far is that people have had to WAIT while the parts were ordered and came in - you lucked out!
Old 8/12/05, 03:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah I know, He may have rush ordered them from Atlanta when he reordered the gas tank; a Ford supply house there I guess. I'm in Jacksonville so it doesn't take much to get them here. I was suprised too.

Put 100 miles on since the TSB and no problems so far(konck on wood)
Old 8/15/05, 10:54 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally posted by wyldv6@August 12, 2005, 3:55 PM
Put 100 miles on since the TSB and no problems so far(konck on wood)
Glad to hear it!!!