2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Gas tank TSB performed yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 8/9/05, 12:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone experienced this? I had the new gas tank put in yesterday. My fuel gauge read almost 1/2 full and 136 miles to empty, but I ran out of gas. I put two gallons in it to get going and filled it at the next gas station. It only took 7 gallons to fill. I spoke to my service writer and he said the tank is a saddle design and all the gas must have settled in the side without the pickup. He said once it is topped off it will be fine?? I am not so sure ....
Old 8/9/05, 12:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Uhm, how could that be? It has to have a way to equalize both sides or there has to be two fuel pickup locations or this would happen every time right?
Old 8/9/05, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like he gave you a load of
Old 8/9/05, 12:22 PM
Cobra Member

I agree. This shouldn't have happened. The C5/C6 Corvette uses a saddle bag gas tank, and has had some fueling issues in the past. It equalizes fuel by pumping between the tanks.

I'd try to top off the tank as soon as you can and see what happens on the 2nd attempt.
Old 8/9/05, 12:40 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bring it back. There are 2 fuel pumps to stop this from happening. They may have not connected the harness to one of them.
Old 8/9/05, 01:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had the TSB happen to me at one gas station, but not another. I'm wondering if I should still take it in. Any thoughts? I keep hearing people take theirs in and get it more screwed up than before. Wondering if I should risk it.
Old 8/9/05, 01:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 05SatinGT@August 9, 2005, 2:11 PM
Has anyone experienced this? I had the new gas tank put in yesterday. My fuel gauge read almost 1/2 full and 136 miles to empty, but I ran out of gas. I put two gallons in it to get going and filled it at the next gas station. It only took 7 gallons to fill. I spoke to my service writer and he said the tank is a saddle design and all the gas must have settled in the side without the pickup. He said once it is topped off it will be fine?? I am not so sure ....

Hey John, doesn't hurt to fill it up and see what happens.....
Old 8/9/05, 01:55 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

I HAD to take mine in and get it fixed. My filling issue was getting progressively worse. It started out just happening once in awhile, then everytime, then it didnt matter how I positioned the nozzle it wouldnt work.

I took mine in, gave them the TSB number, told them what they had to do, explained that they would fill it up themselves before giving it back to me.

I had no trouble whatsoever. I have had my new tanks for three months now, and all is well.

Course, its funny how the Service Manager handed me my keys saying, "Not only are you the first woman to come in knowing what TSB was, I think you are the first CUSTOMER to give me the TSB number and solution!"
Old 8/9/05, 02:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

There are two senders. One of mine went out. When th dealer tore out my seat and broke into the tank they realized that there were two (new car , new design (did you read the manual before you fixed my car, no....)) So my car sat for another 3 days while they waited for the other sender.
Old 8/9/05, 03:11 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by derynf@August 9, 2005, 1:05 PM
There are two senders. One of mine went out. When th dealer tore out my seat and broke into the tank they realized that there were two (new car , new design (did you read the manual before you fixed my car, no....)) So my car sat for another 3 days while they waited for the other sender.
I too had the tank replaced and ran out of gas at 1/4 tank. I still need to take it back to have them fix it. I feel your pain. I had to endure countless ribbings from my co-workers about my brand new Mustang being on the side of the road. Then it took three hours to get Ford Road Side service out there to put some gas in it. I am really starting to wonder about the mechanics at our beloved Ford dealerships.
Old 8/9/05, 03:14 PM
Cobra Member

great just what i need to read..mine is going in tomorrow for this...i hope it turns out all well....
Old 8/9/05, 03:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by tw0scoops123@August 9, 2005, 2:49 PM
I had the TSB happen to me at one gas station, but not another. I'm wondering if I should still take it in. Any thoughts? I keep hearing people take theirs in and get it more screwed up than before. Wondering if I should risk it.
From what I read before I got mine fixed, newer gas pumps that are more sensitive to backpressue have the issue and if you go to an older gas station it will work fine. I had this happen to me, worked great at an older shell station, but then a newly built one had the issue. Now I'm fine since getting the tank replaced.
Old 8/9/05, 03:40 PM
Bullitt Member

John,
Holman?
They have gotten so bad, not only won't we service through them, we won't purchase either.
Old 8/9/05, 05:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Just had the TSB done today, after the service department called and told me the filler tube on replacement tank was damaged yesterday. I had no problems filling the tank, service guy even put in two gallons for me. Not only did they do the gas tank TSB; they also corrected the front strut one as well. All I did was mention a popping noise, the service writer said "we'll fix that as well, its TSB # blah blah blah" I was stunned he knew which one it was at all.:shock:
Old 8/10/05, 05:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks for the repilies ... now my check engine light is on. I'll be taking it back in .. I'll let you guys know what they find. I've had my car since November and it's been perfect except for the Fuel-fill problem. I was dreading bringing it in to the dealer for service and they did not disappoint!
Old 8/10/05, 06:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by WERKED 66@August 9, 2005, 4:17 PM
great just what i need to read..mine is going in tomorrow for this...i hope it turns out all well....
Mine is going in tomorrow too!
Old 8/10/05, 11:43 AM
She's Back and Strapped!

Had my struts fixed along with my tank... I am so glad she doesnt make those joint popping sounds anymore.

I had trouble at all stations. I really think that since mine was part of the earlier run (built 11/24) I got more of the issues... It doesnt seem the later runs, those built this year, have as many. I also have the squeaking brakes, and the Shaker issues. I didnt get those fixed because I was SUPPOSED to have all of it replaced with aftermarket stuff anyway... that was 7 months ago, LOL

BTW, my Service Dept did my stuff in 8 hours. I went in a couple days before dropping it off, gave them the TSB #s, told them what they were going to do. Told them I wanted them to order all new parts for EVERYTHING that could go wrong. Then refused to take the car in until they had everything there. Dropped the car off, and get a call from the Service Manager, "Your tank isnt in after all... it'll be here tomorrow, so you can pick up the car tomorrow." I replied, "No, you will go drop the car off to my husband right now, and I will bring it back when you have all the parts. You are not keeping my car overnight, so make sure your guys know that. " Took it back a week later, and they tried to keep it overnight again... something about the service bay messing up the schedule and it sat for two hours. I told them it was thier problem, my husband would be there at 6pm to pcik up the vehicle. They had it done. I am pretty demanding.
Old 8/10/05, 11:47 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You tell em Jessica
Old 8/10/05, 12:16 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Hey John, did you see my other post???
Old 8/10/05, 01:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Smart move Jessica. I can just picture midnight joy rides!

Quick Reply: Gas tank TSB performed yesterday