2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Front subwoofers barely audible..... anybody else had this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/06, 01:06 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front subwoofers barely audible..... anybody else had this problem?

I just noticed it tonight, and I never crank the stereo, so they shouldn't be blown. The upper door speakers, and rear speakers appear to be fine, but my door subwoofers are barely audible. Anybody had this problem, and know what the problem is/was??? Thanks....
Old 12/28/06, 01:59 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the subs are usually barely audible except for bass lines
if you pump up the bass and you still don't feel them, then you could try running a Speaker walk-around test, using the Shaker head unit diagnostic mode..

1. To enter the speaker walk-around test or audio unit self-diagnostic mode, the audio unit must be on and in radio tuner mode (AM/FM).. Now simultaneously press and hold the audio unit preset buttons 3 and 6.

2. The speaker walk-around test stops at each speaker and applies sound to each speaker for about 1-2 seconds.
Each speaker is tested and displayed on the audio unit in the following sequence: RF, LF, LR, RR, and SUBWOOFER.

3. To exit the speaker walk-around test, turn the key to OFF, turn the audio unit off

if you still don't hear/feel anything while the above test is running on the "SUBWOOFER", perhaps you could check the subwoofer amps are connected properly, check the subwoofers in the driver side kick-panel, and make sure their wiring harnesses are secured in.

if all fails, well i guess it's time for a dealership visit..

hope this helps.
Old 12/28/06, 06:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
cool tip on the walk-around test. I'll try that later! Where did you find that? I've read the owner's manual and even made a copy for bathroom reading but never came across that.
Old 12/28/06, 09:38 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
attached is the full section of the Workshop Manual related to Diagnostic and Testing of the Audio system..

that's where the info came from
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Audio System.pdf (260.7 KB, 1130 views)
Old 12/28/06, 10:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by G.T
attached is the full section of the Workshop Manual related to Diagnostic and Testing of the Audio system..

Thanks Louie.... I am going down to Columbia Ford today and they have a fleet of Mustangs that i can compare my audio to, as well as do this walk-around test that you have explained as well. I usually listen to my stereo @ 3-4 bars and 5 is tops. Well, 5 seemed a whole lot louder and thumping last week and before than it all of a sudden did last night. My other half was riding with me last night, and she thought so as well. Well, after I get cleaned up, we are going to the car lot/service dept. to compare.......
Old 12/28/06, 01:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I tried that diagnostic method and it works - make sure to turn up your radio a bit so you can hear it when it plays the sound through the speakers. The subwoofers took a bit to key on but they worked on my car. At 5 bars, I can feel the pressure waves hitting my knees.
Old 12/28/06, 08:15 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Giddyup
I just noticed it tonight, and I never crank the stereo, so they shouldn't be blown. The upper door speakers, and rear speakers appear to be fine, but my door subwoofers are barely audible. Anybody had this problem, and know what the problem is/was??? Thanks....
Also check the operation mode of the speakers in setup mode. I can't remember the names of the speaker setting modes but if you accidentally set it to "rear" then power is reduced to the front subs.
Old 12/29/06, 12:20 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by blaster
Also check the operation mode of the speakers in setup mode. I can't remember the names of the speaker setting modes but if you accidentally set it to "rear" then power is reduced to the front subs.
Bob, I tried the walk-around of the speakers (holding #3 & 6 presets), and the fronts & rears I can hear, but the subwoofer is as close as you can get to non-existent. I did the walk-around on 6 other GT's on the lot and I could hear all speakers including subwoofer. Is it in the owners manual about speaker setting modes that you refer to? I've not changed anything since day 1, but that's not to say they haven't in service since my car has been there numerous times. How do I locate this setting mode, and what is the normal/default setting supposed to be for a balance of speakers? Thanks much.....
Old 12/29/06, 06:58 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Giddyup
... How do I locate this setting mode, and what is the normal/default setting supposed to be for a balance of speakers? Thanks much.....
Use the 'Menu' button and keep hitting until you come to the speaker setup. If it's at default it should say 'All Seats'. You can use the Up/Dn arrows on the upper right of the unit next to cd slot to change the selection. Other choices are 'Drivers Seat' and 'Rear Seat'.
If by chance it was set at 'Rear Seat' then that's why the front subs aren't very loud. Change it to 'All Seats'. If this doesn't solve it then you might have something wrong with the front subs.
Old 12/29/06, 11:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by blaster
Use the 'Menu' button and keep hitting until you come to the speaker setup. If it's at default it should say 'All Seats'. You can use the Up/Dn arrows on the upper right of the unit next to cd slot to change the selection. Other choices are 'Drivers Seat' and 'Rear Seat'.
If by chance it was set at 'Rear Seat' then that's why the front subs aren't very loud. Change it to 'All Seats'. If this doesn't solve it then you might have something wrong with the front subs.
Thanks.... I will try this today when I leave to do some errands. I do have an appt. set up for 7:30 AM in service on Tuesday the 2nd to have this looked at.
Old 12/29/06, 11:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Okay, I checked today and speakers are set to All Seats, so there is definitely something wrong with my Subs. I will take it in as planned on Tuesday the 2nd, and let them do their diagnostic tests & figure out whether something is loose or whatever.....
Old 12/30/06, 09:52 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by G.T

Great info, I put that one into save file....Thanks.