2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Front Seat Side-Mounted Air Bags

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/04, 12:54 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

What are people's interest in paying the extra $329 (Invoice) to $370 (MSRP) for this option?

I for one am taking that $330 and getting me the 17" Bright Machined Wheels and the Interior Color Accent Package for, yep you guessed it, $330. At least I will be able to see/enjoy the money I spent. B)

The likely hood of you getting hit in the side of your car, let alone hard enough to "need" air bag protection is so small. If you get T-boned at 60 MPH, the Air Bags won’t help you much anyway.

Is there a discount your auto insurance company is going to give you if you opt for this? Probably not. They are already going to be giving you a discount for the standard front impact air bags. <_<

Also, your car is going to weigh that much more.
***LINK REMOVED:FAMILY SITE***
So what gives? :scratch:

Let the opinions pour in! B)
Old 9/29/04, 01:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Don't really need that option cuz when I get my stang, that is WHEN I get my stang, I'm probably going to go aftermarket with the wheels after a few months anyway. As for the interior, I'm going with all black.

BTW side impact bags are useless anyway cuz if you do get t-boned your chances of survival are still slim in a high impact crash and with side air bags, so its useless to even have them.
Old 9/29/04, 01:36 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My preference is to have all the interior protection you can get.....If I had a side impact and hadn't paid for the airbags, I would really rue the day I wasted my $370 on wheels (which are now worthless anyway). $370 or permanent disability.....that's a no-brainer for me.
Also, the side air bags also protect in a head on collision. If the collision is at an offset (see very basic picture ), the cars spin, therfore, the airbags stop you smashing your shoulder on the pillars. My 2c worth...
Old 9/29/04, 02:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Insurance, Insurance, Insurance.
Do the comaparisons with your insurance company.
I forget what they are, but I believe the payback is fairly quick.
Old 9/29/04, 06:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by clan0013@September 29, 2004, 12:57 AM

Also, your car is going to weigh that much more. LINK REMOVED-> FAMILY SITE
Well, I wasn't expecting that when I clicked on that link. But I can't imagine side airbags adding that much weight.

As for insurance, I talked with Geico. They said it did not matter. They already gave the discount since there are front airbags.
Old 9/29/04, 07:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, In my opinion, thats a no brainer, and, it would be money spent wisely. I have seen 2 people survive, as the air bags saved their lives. What happens if you get hit badly on the drivers door, and your sitting in a wheelchair for the rest of your life? What are those rims/airbags worth then?

Personally, I think it's the best option for the buck. I'll certainly have them on mine! But that's just my opinion!
Old 9/29/04, 07:15 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$330 over a 5 year loan is only about $6 a month. Well worth the price of added safety and depending on your insurance company, you may be saving more than that each month on your premium. Go out to eat one less time a month and you will have paid for your side airbags.
Old 9/29/04, 07:16 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by jgsmuzzy@September 29, 2004, 3:39 AM
My preference is to have all the interior protection you can get.....If I had a side impact and hadn't paid for the airbags, I would really rue the day I wasted my $370 on wheels (which are now worthless anyway). $370 or permanent disability.....that's a no-brainer for me.
Also, the side air bags also protect in a head on collision. If the collision is at an offset (see very basic picture ), the cars spin, therfore, the airbags stop you smashing your shoulder on the pillars. My 2c worth...
I totally agree. I was unsure at first but will be getting them.

I also look at it this way.....what if someone you cared about took the mustang out (okay, okay...no one but you...). What if they got into a side impact? How would your wheels look then?

The problem here is that auto companies should be making side airbags standard, not an option since they aren't required. This should not be a choice of the buyer IMO who will be tempted to sacrifice safety features for other options in his/her limited budget.
Old 9/29/04, 07:26 AM
Cobra Member

clan-

Honestly, that could be one of the most stupid choices you have ever made.

You are going to skimp 370 dollars for something that has been PROVEN to protect you in crahes? Just so you can get wheels? As for you saying they don't do anything, you are completely wrong. Flat out.

I seriousely can't believe you would skimp on 370 bucks for your own personal safety and just buy wheels.

Where are priorities these days? Seriousely.
Old 9/29/04, 07:33 AM
Cobra R Member

Didn't opt for them for one main reason -I plan on changing the seats within 2 years... from my experience w/ FMC's, DC's & GM's current set-up for airbag based seats vs. door or pillar vehicles -it is a big pain in the to change them out... making seat covers the only customizable way to change the look of the seats... -and yes, there are a small # of companies that have seat covers/skin replacements that work with airbag seats, ie. Katzkin

BTW... Did I mention that I will be racing the car after it is broken in... can't have airbags going off @ the track... then again, that's what removeable fuses are for... :scratch:
Old 9/29/04, 07:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

A year and a half ago my wife pulled a bonehead and pulled out in an intersection and was t-boned at 40 MPH by a suburban....Pass side. She was able to call from the ambulance gurney to to tell me about it. The pass side frame was crushed up to the console which was pushed to the drivers seat. She would have been at "Room Temperature" without them. Best $370. bucks you will ever spend! Uh sorry...Car was a 2000 Taurus
Old 9/29/04, 07:38 AM

My father is a Crash Accident Reconstructionist. He reviews each year literally hundreds of accidents resulting in major bodily injury or death. He is an advocate of front and side airbags. He would also agree that a 5 point harness is a good thing if used consistantly. Cconvertibles without a roll bar is death by ignorance.
Old 9/29/04, 07:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by bullittman@September 29, 2004, 9:39 AM
A year and a half ago my wife pulled a bonehead and pulled out in an intersection and was t-boned at 40 MPH by a suburban....Pass side. She was able to call from the ambulance gurney to to tell me about it. The pass side frame was crushed up to the console which was pushed to the drivers seat. She would have been at "Room Temperature" without them. Best $370. bucks you will ever spend! Uh sorry...Car was a 2000 Taurus
Thank goodness she survived that crash.

Not to burst your bubble, but I don't think a passenger would have survived w/ or w/o side impact airbags...
Old 9/29/04, 10:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'll be getting them simply for piece of mind. They are a proven safety feature and I consider my life, and that of any person sitting in the passenger seat, worth it. As for making them standard, it sounds great but just isn't reasonable. If they made every safety feature standard on every vehicle, then the stang GT would cost 35k. And someone above gave a perfectly valid reason for not wanting them, changing out the seats. As for someone who would sacrifice safety for cooler looking rims, I just hope they are willing to take responsibility for their actions, or inaction in this case.

Jason
Old 9/29/04, 10:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Kahdir@September 29, 2004, 1:46 PM

Not to burst your bubble, but I don't think a passenger would have survived w/ or w/o side impact airbags...
Of course, you are absolutely right....It will not help in all cases. If nothing else it will add to peace of mind. B)
Old 9/29/04, 10:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Lowers Insurance Rate as an additive safety feature, already spoke to my insurance company (Geico) told them the specs of the car and they knocked off like $250-300 off my insurance for that, wanna save on insurance, get some additive safety features
Old 9/29/04, 10:54 AM
GT Member

Of course some accidents are just not survivable but you would be surprised at what some people walk away from. Side impact airbags are there to save your head. Your body can take a real beating and recover but your head isn't nearly as tough. The story earlier about the woman in the Suburban is a very scary deal and I am glad she was ok. That is exactly the kind of hit that the side airbag can at least give you a fighting chance in.

Also I don't know about all of you but I love to get a little sideways now and then and that always opens the door to mishaps. I've seen a lot of news reports and even live in person where people slide off the road and hit something sideways???

It just seems to me that you are buying a 20 to 30 thousand dollar car, what is another $400? It's your head!
Old 9/29/04, 11:11 AM
GT Member

Hi, I have a related question. I really want side airbags for the saftey obviously. More protection the better in EVERY aspect of life. However, I might opt out of them because I am going to go aftermarket for car sterio. I will replacing all the factory speakers in the Shaker 500 eventually. I am worried that taking off the door panels may cause the airbags to inflate. Am I wrong in this assumption? I know a lot about car stereos but practically nothing about cars/airbags.

Thanks
Ben
Old 9/29/04, 11:14 AM

In my work I have seen far to many injuries and deaths from car accidents not to ge the side airbags. I would wait and get a vert but they will not have a roll bar.
Old 9/29/04, 11:18 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Lynx4Ben@September 29, 2004, 11:14 AM
Hi, I have a related question. I really want side airbags for the saftey obviously. More protection the better in EVERY aspect of life. However, I might opt out of them because I am going to go aftermarket for car sterio. I will replacing all the factory speakers in the Shaker 500 eventually. I am worried that taking off the door panels may cause the airbags to inflate. Am I wrong in this assumption? I know a lot about car stereos but practically nothing about cars/airbags.

Thanks
Ben
Get a repair manual and follow the precautions within. I changed out the headunit on my Jetta w/ side airbags and had no problems, but I left the stock speakers in place...

Quick Reply: Front Seat Side-Mounted Air Bags