2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

front plate mounting?

Search this Thread

Old 2/22/06, 09:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read that you can request that the dealer not drill holes in the front bumper for license plate mounting, so I requested this. We figured we'd have some time with the drive-out tag before the real plates arrive, and we could use that time to research other mounting options.

Slight problem. Dealer called today and said they can't legally allow the car to leave the lot without drilling the plate-mounting holes.

So now I'm on fast-forward on researching mounting options. What are my options? Are there brackets I could have delivered to the dealer before Saturday?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 2/22/06, 09:39 AM
GTR Member

I take it Texas puts plates on the front and back? Do they have to put a temp tag on the front and back, too? Tell them to put it on with 3M double sided tape if they HAVE to put something on the front. 3M makes strong stuff that will hold tight and come off without hurting the paint. That's how the aftermarket hood scoops are held on.
Old 2/22/06, 09:43 AM
Bullitt Member

I can't imagine a hood scoop held on with a post-it note! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img]

Nope, they won't have any of that. They said they have to drill holes. Chris is hoping there is some type of aftermarket bracket made for these cars that will appease the dealer. We must work quickly. They expect delivery today and will be a-drillin'.
Old 2/22/06, 09:46 AM
GTR Member

That is very strong tape. The side scoops are the same way.

So you have to have a front plate? Just curious why it matters then, if the plate has to be there anyway. We don't have to have front plates, but they might drill it to put a "Gateway Ford" plate on the front... but I'll tell them they better not! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nono.gif[/img]
Old 2/22/06, 09:52 AM
Bullitt Member

In Texas we have to have a front plate. I am just thinking if I want to keep this car for a very long time, if I ever pull it from the street, I don't want holes. Also, in case I ever move out of Texas. Who knows?
Old 2/22/06, 09:56 AM
GTR Member

If you can't find a way around it and you move you can:

1. Put on a nice front plate and frame to replace the "state" plate.

2. Get little plastic "buttons" to fill in the holes. Paint them Torch Red with your touch up paint and you'll never see them.
Old 2/22/06, 10:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Okay, did some diggin', came up with these links and a pic (compliments of TampaBear67).
In CA we have that law too, but my dealer is leaving it off! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Too bad yours is such a stickler about it!

No drill front plate...

License Plate bracket for our GT's

I'm suppose to install front license plate
Old 2/22/06, 01:26 PM

The law does not require them to DRILL HOLES in the front bumper or even to put a bracket on there. They are full of crap!
Old 2/22/06, 07:28 PM
GT Member

Have them zip tie it to the grill temporarily [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] - that's mounted right?
Hey they're off the hook and you can figure out what you want to do later...
Old 2/22/06, 11:49 PM

Susan

Check your e-mail. Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 2/23/06, 07:33 AM
Bullitt Member

checking now - thanks!
Old 2/23/06, 10:46 AM
GT Member

Tell your dealer that you will sign off the customer inspection sheet with an added line of "Customer aware of state law requiring front license plate and declined dealer prep install." My dealer told me the same exact thing but I was so **** about my new car I told him I was not going to buy it if the screws were screwed into the front bumper.

When I picked up my car, I forgot that Ford already puts 2 small dimples on the front bumper. You cant notice it from further than 7 feet away.

Good luck with the front bracket. My take is that they want their stupid dealership advertisement on the front and back.
Old 2/23/06, 11:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for all the advice and input. Finally, today, my husband convinced them not to drill the holes.

Picking it up Saturday.
Old 2/23/06, 12:18 PM

Great, I knew they didn't HAVE to. BTW Susan, I went to UTM for all 4 years. Good luck with the new car!
Old 2/23/06, 12:26 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VQ35DE @ February 23, 2006, 1:21 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Great, I knew they didn't HAVE to. BTW Susan, I went to UTM for all 4 years. Good luck with the new car!
[/b][/quote]What year did you graduate? I was there in Fall '85. I was AOII. Don't know whether that will make you love me or hate me.
Old 2/23/06, 12:33 PM

Winter quarter "85" is when I finished. Graduated summer 1985.
Old 7/14/06, 04:39 AM
Bullitt Member

are there some states that leagally require there to be holes drilled from the dealer if the state says you have to have a front plate?? I will be moving to south dakota in september and i know they require front plates, and i'm wondering if i will run into this same problem when i request the dealer not put holes in the bumper- i'm getting the bracket where you dont drill holes- does anyone have problems with the dealers not listening to them when they request no holes and drill them anyway??? just curious- thanks
Old 7/14/06, 06:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Ford sells a front plate mounting bracket for the '07s that I bought and installed. It doesn't look all that bad. If your state requires a front plate, why would you want to risk getting pulled over and fined? And all the talk about having holes showing in the front if you were to later move to a state that doesn't require a front plate is irrelevant because you'd probably have to paint the bumper anyway since the area behind the plate would be new, and the other parts of the bumper would have rock chips and such from normal driving.
Old 7/14/06, 06:41 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 05MustangSB
are there some states that leagally require there to be holes drilled from the dealer if the state says you have to have a front plate?? I will be moving to south dakota in september and i know they require front plates, and i'm wondering if i will run into this same problem when i request the dealer not put holes in the bumper- i'm getting the bracket where you dont drill holes- does anyone have problems with the dealers not listening to them when they request no holes and drill them anyway??? just curious- thanks
I told the dealer not to drill because I had my own mounting system. They don't make a big deal about it here though.
Read all the posts on this thread for good ideas.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=49099
Old 7/14/06, 09:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bob99b5
Ford sells a front plate mounting bracket for the '07s that I bought and installed. It doesn't look all that bad. If your state requires a front plate, why would you want to risk getting pulled over and fined? And all the talk about having holes showing in the front if you were to later move to a state that doesn't require a front plate is irrelevant because you'd probably have to paint the bumper anyway since the area behind the plate would be new, and the other parts of the bumper would have rock chips and such from normal driving.
you misunderstood me, i'm still abiding by the law and putting my plate up front, i'm just doing it with a bracket that Fastrack sells on here- that way there are no holes in the bumper and i can still have the front plate

Quick Reply: front plate mounting?