2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 4/24/06, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey, everyone. I have a new 06' GT, and just got my license plates. Since my state requires front plates, I guess I will put mine on. Is there any trick to it? The holes haven't been drilled yet, and all I have is a cordless screwdriver. Can I just use that to put the screws in? I'm sure everyone is going to say don't bother with the front plate until I get a ticket, but I don't think it's too bad to put it on. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] I just don't want to do any unecessary damage. Thanks.
Old 4/24/06, 11:10 AM
Cobra R Member

My front plate holes were already tapped when I got my car, and it looked like they just screwed the screws in with a screwdriver (not all the way in though). I haven't put on a plate on the front yet, but when I do I will be sure to use stainless steel screws. Just take your time and make sure you drive the screw in straight and you should be fine, just spend the extra 5-10 cents for stainless hardware & then you wont ever have to worry about the unsightly rusted hardware and stains on your plate. I have Ace Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot and have found the best selection of stainless to be at Ace FYI.
Old 4/24/06, 12:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get some self taping screws...there SHOULD be indentions in the bumper

screw the screws in first (with a manual screw driver)...slowly without the plate...just enough to get thru the bumper...then put the plate on
Old 4/24/06, 12:19 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should pre-drill the holes before using the screws or you could damage the fascia/paint. Just use a drill bit slightly smaller that the thickness of the mounting screws that came with the car.
Old 4/24/06, 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

There was a thread on here a while ago where someone made a bracket to hold the front plate and avoid puttin holes in the bumper cover.
Old 4/24/06, 01:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Dont drill into the front of the bumper!!! I got a cheap license place bracket (it has multiple options as to how you can mount the plate to it) from advance auto parts, and two 3 inch l-brackets. You can mount the plate to the l-bracket and the l-bracket to the UNDERSIDE of the front bumper. I'll get pics for you.

License plate bracket
Old 4/24/06, 03:57 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pittperson @ April 24, 2006, 12:24 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Dont drill into the front of the bumper!!! I got a cheap license place bracket (it has multiple options as to how you can mount the plate to it) from advance auto parts, and two 3 inch l-brackets. You can mount the plate to the l-bracket and the l-bracket to the UNDERSIDE of the front bumper. I'll get pics for you.

License plate bracket
[/b][/quote]
That's a sweet option Chris..... If the people at my dealership hadn't already tapped the holes in my front bumper, I would have probably went that route.
Old 4/24/06, 04:20 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Giddyup @ April 24, 2006, 4:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That's a sweet option Chris..... If the people at my dealership hadn't already tapped the holes in my front bumper, I would have probably went that route.
[/b][/quote]

Yep, me too. Now I have to try and decide whether to fill the holes or just leave em.
Old 4/25/06, 01:02 AM
GT Member

The mounting scheme for the license plates is pathetic. Self tapping screws through the plastic bumper. How lame can they get. I suppose they save some $$$.

I ended up getting a couple of chrome plate frames, chrome headed bolts, rubber washers, flat washer, and some nylock nuts.

I drilled holes where the divits are (two in front bumper and four in back one), I put the chrome headed bolts through the plate frame, then through the plate, slid some 1/4" thick rubber washers on, put the bolts through the bumper, added more rubber washers, then some flat washer and finally the nylock nuts.

I should post some pic sometime.
Old 4/25/06, 01:25 AM
Bullitt Member

A front plate is a great way to destroy the look of this Mustang. Almost as bad as a Vette with a fronte plate. Just don't do it.
Old 4/25/06, 02:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nick85 @ April 25, 2006, 2:28 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
A front plate is a great way to destroy the look of this Mustang. Almost as bad as a Vette with a fronte plate. Just don't do it.
[/b][/quote]

Have you seen the new Solstice with a front license plate? Talk about ruining the look of the front-end! Its front wasnt that great to begin with, but with a plate it is downright UGLY. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img]
Old 4/25/06, 05:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nick85 @ April 25, 2006, 3:28 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

Agreed, and that is what I did to begin with. That is until the greedy state of Maryland decided to pull me over for nothing at all other than no front plate and give me a $60 ticket. No warning or anything just a, I got made fun of as a kid so I think I'll give you a ticket for it. I can't wait until the end of June when I move to NC where I won't need a front plate anymore.
Old 4/25/06, 06:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Illinois is hot on speeding in construction zones. They are placing vans at sites that will take a photo of the vehicles front plate and the driver. If you are exceeding the posted reduced speed limit in construction zones, they mail you a ticket for $375.00 for the first offense, The price goes up from there for a second violation, along with suspension of your drivers license. So even if you are not in a construction work zone, they are more likely to pull you over and ticket you for no front plate. So, as much I hated to finally put the plate on without drilling holes in the bumper, went this route for the time being.
I drilled four small holes in the front of the plate to fit four pop rivets. Used four wire lugs with washers on the back side of the plate. Ran utility wire through the lugs long enough to wrap around the center member of the lower grill. Then twisted the wire from behind with pliers to tighten it down. I put some felt pads on the backside of the plate to keep it from rubbing against the bumper. So until I find a better solution to displaying the plate, this will have to do.
Old 4/25/06, 07:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I did basically the same thing as Jaxxon. I drilled four small holes through the plate and secured it around the center post of the lower grill with cable ties. Felt padding behind the plate to protect the bumper and it's quick and easy to cut the ties off/replace with new ones for when at a show.