2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

front end "clunk?"

Search this Thread

Old 6/27/18, 10:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Way back in 2006 my new 2006 GT had the clunk and after a couple of years I replaced the strut mounts with 8R3Z-18183-B Upper Mount Assembly (2 req’d). Never had a clunk after that. Still good today.
The following users liked this post:
Buckshot Barry (6/28/18)
Old 8/7/18, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hobojack
I know this thread is older than dirt, and people have moved on to newer rides. But my clunk cure was different. New this, new that, proved nothing but spending on needless parts. The last thing was new front stabilizer bushings, they are poly stock bushing from Ford parts giant. They slide on the bar with some resistants but not enough for my liking,end result was CLUNK. I came to the conclusion the bushing were the culprit. I got some HDPE 3/16 thick 2x2. I loosened the swaybar and slid the shim behind the bushing and torqued it down. End result NO MORE CLUNK. Either Ford is calling out the wrong bushing for the bar or it is **** poor engineering. Now I look for bumps to ride over, and enjoy the quiet ride.
I think that if the bushings were made of rubber it may have absorbed some of the sound. But who am I to judge? I'm just a 68yo retired motor head.
so do you think it’s best to get stock bushing or the polyurethane? Because I have that clunk!?
Old 8/7/18, 05:36 AM
V6 Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Kalom

so do you think it’s best to get stock bushing or the polyurethane? Because I have that clunk!?
The stock bushing is poly. I put new bushings in and still had the clunk .It wasn't until I put a shim behind the bushing, the clunk was gone.
The following users liked this post:
Buckshot Barry (8/7/18)
Old 5/3/21, 06:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I recently purchased a 2008 Mustang 4.0 Coupe Deluxe for my daughter's first car. It had 115k miles on it. From the Carfax and my personal inspection, it has turned out to be exactly what I was hoping it to be, an all original car that had no history of major mechanical issues. It was just driven by previous owners who had to do nothing to it. I wanted to be the one who performed the first maintenance on it. It had the original serpentine belt, spark plugs, fuel filter filled with very dark brown mirk, totally flat shocks, springs and struts, cloth seats, complete with drivers side hole in the lower outside back rest and totally glazed over headlights. In other words, a perfect car that had never been messed with by a wannabe teen age mechanic.

This forum helped me find the "clunk" in the front end. I read where someone suggested that the fastest, easiest and cheapest first step in the process of elimination is to remove the front stabilizer bar. I removed it and wa-la...no more clunk. Someone had placed a plastic shim behind the passenger side mounting clamp in an attempt to stop the "clunk." That was the first and only shade tree fix that the car had. New bushings are on the way.
Old 3/3/22, 01:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I made a YouTube video that addresses all the different sources a front end clunk can be coming from. I have a lot of experience with these issues in S197 mustangs so I hope this video helps people:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8B8X8...ature=youtu.be

The following 3 users liked this post by drivendaily_yeg:
Bert (3/4/22), BRD (3/4/22), m05fastbackGT (3/5/22)
Old 3/4/22, 01:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
thanks for posting!
Old 3/5/22, 02:23 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Originally Posted by drivendaily_yeg
I made a YouTube video that addresses all the different sources a front end clunk can be coming from. I have a lot of experience with these issues in S197 mustangs so I hope this video helps people:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8B8X8...ature=youtu.be
Thanks for putting together such a very valuable and informative video that addresses all the different sources for causing that dreaded front-end clunk... Perhaps, you could also make a YouTube video that addresses all the different sources for causing the rear end to clunk as well...Meanwhile, thanks once again and also welcome aboard