2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Ford Mustang Fusion Key!

Search this Thread

Old 2/5/07, 08:03 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vistablue mustang
I like the Fusion key and all but I also like having a sepreate fob at times. Still great job on this make-shift version
Great … now I have to come up with a version where you can disconnect the keyless remote and leave the key portion in the ignition …
Old 2/5/07, 09:16 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I can attest to the fact that the transponder is not directional. I have on several occasions wanted to leave my car running but was not inclined to leave the PATS key in the car. I have a standard key that I got cut at a hardware store. I simply set the PATS key against the other key and start the car. Works great. Then I lock it with the remote.

Someone could smash the window and drive off, but chances are they'll stall it (I have stick) and it won't restart.
Old 2/5/07, 09:51 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by AWmustang
Well I can attest to the fact that the transponder is not directional.
Not wishing to start an argument, but my first attempt - not shown in my write-up - had the transponder 90 degrees from the position shown. I would work rarely, but mostly not. I was stumped. Then I tested my orientation theory. When rotated to align the same as the PATS key, it consistently worked - when I rotated it 90 degrees, as I had first constructed it - it consistently failed.

Having said that, however, I have no doubt yours works. It all depends on receiving signal strength, transmission strength, key position, etc. I decided that unless I had a significant reason to change, that I would go with the same orientation as the PATS key.
Old 2/5/07, 12:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, awesome job Dave! Fantastic tutorial.

I wonder how feasable it would be to take a Fusion Key and just replace the PATS chip with the Mustang one?
Old 2/5/07, 01:01 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Little Black Pony
I wonder how feasable it would be to take a Fusion Key and just replace the PATS chip with the Mustang one?
Hmmm ... Send me an uncut Fusion Key and I'll see ...

First test, however, would be to see if the keyless remote portion could be programmed to work.

Although, one could go back to the hot glue idea on the transponder chip …
Old 2/5/07, 09:10 PM
GT Member

I want a key like the VW's.
Old 2/5/07, 09:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Agleon
+1000000
Old 2/6/07, 02:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Agleon
+1. The key fob was one of the few good things about the '02 Jetta I had. It spent more time in the shop than in my driveway.
Old 2/6/07, 06:34 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by dapmustang
Not wishing to start an argument, but my first attempt - not shown in my write-up - had the transponder 90 degrees from the position shown. I would work rarely, but mostly not. I was stumped. Then I tested my orientation theory. When rotated to align the same as the PATS key, it consistently worked - when I rotated it 90 degrees, as I had first constructed it - it consistently failed.

Having said that, however, I have no doubt yours works. It all depends on receiving signal strength, transmission strength, key position, etc. I decided that unless I had a significant reason to change, that I would go with the same orientation as the PATS key.
Interesting. I have started the car with the key both 90 degrees and 180 degrees to its normal position (and various angles in between). I have, once or twice, had trouble with it recognizing the PATS, but the majority of the time it works just fine.

My guess is that the chip is much closer to the steering column when I do this than is possible with your setup. (signal/transmission strenght as you mentioned.)
Old 2/6/07, 07:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
How do you explain the remote starters that use an extra pats key stored under the dash?
Old 2/6/07, 08:20 AM
V6 Member

Interesting. I have started the car with the key both 90 degrees and 180 degrees to its normal position (and various angles in between). I have, once or twice, had trouble with it recognizing the PATS, but the majority of the time it works just fine.

My guess is that the chip is much closer to the steering column when I do this than is possible with your setup. (signal/transmission strenght as you mentioned.)
Of course I’m just speculating, but it seems reasonable. Since I believe the “power” to run the PATS transponder comes form the RF energy received from the PATS transmitter of the vehicle (look ma, no battery), it may be that the transmit back from the transponder is directional, rather than a far more inefficient - and power wasting - omni-directional antenna setup. Or a directional tuned receiver in the transponder. I have started various Mustangs with more than one PATS key on the keychain. There must be a way from them to not interfere with each other as well - perhaps position and direction.

Originally Posted by Stoenr
How do you explain the remote starters that use an extra pats key stored under the dash?
Very good question. I’d like to see documentation of an actual system that uses this technique. Are they tapping into the RF path of the existing PATS system, or “talking” to the remote PATS key and re-transmitting the codes via another antenna wire? Interesting.
Old 2/6/07, 10:05 AM
V6 Member

That’s excellent! I’m ordering another key and remote right now.
Old 2/6/07, 11:55 AM
Cobra R Member

seperate fob is great because when I leave her running to keep warm when I am at the firehouse I can lock the doors so people don't *@#^ with my car.
Old 2/6/07, 12:31 PM
FR500 Member

that takes lots and lots of skill!! props!!
Old 2/6/07, 04:23 PM
Cobra Member

Excellent idea and execution! Ingenuity is not dead!

You didn't even wait for the aftermarket to come out with a kit and have a tuner shop install it for you!
Old 2/6/07, 04:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT
seperate fob is great because when I leave her running to keep warm when I am at the firehouse I can lock the doors so people don't *@#^ with my car.
I agree however your example only happens a couple months out of the year so I would gladly give up the seperate fob for an all in one device! Even here in Chicago!
Old 2/6/07, 05:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
I agree however your example only happens a couple months out of the year so I would gladly give up the seperate fob for an all in one device! Even here in Chicago!

Lol, not today tho!
Old 2/7/07, 07:02 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by dapmustang

Very good question. I’d like to see documentation of an actual system that uses this technique. Are they tapping into the RF path of the existing PATS system, or “talking” to the remote PATS key and re-transmitting the codes via another antenna wire? Interesting.
My roomate got remote start installed on his VW Beetle and I was there for part of it. They took a wire that had a loop of metal beads at one end and connected to a special box at the other end. Key went into the box, loop went around the ingition cylinder.

I don't know whether the box was energized in any way. I would assume a similar device is used on the Mustang.
Old 2/7/07, 08:58 AM
V6 Member

My roomate got remote start installed on his VW Beetle and I was there for part of it. They took a wire that had a loop of metal beads at one end and connected to a special box at the other end. Key went into the box, loop went around the ingition cylinder.
Ah … then they are using a antenna loop “extender” to “connect” the remote key location to the ignition column transponder location.

Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever

I took one of my old 2000 Mustang fobs and reprogrammed it for the 2006. I have it stored in my desk at work and use it to open the doors when I’m at work. The second fob included with the 2006 works a home. You can never have too many fobs.

I’m also real glad that with the ’05 and above, the keyless remote DOES unlock the car while running. With my 2000, once running, the keyless remote would not open the doors anyway. I got almost stuck at work when the physical lock cylinder got frozen and world not turn with my spare key - and my spare fob was useless. I had to heat the key with the exhaust gas several times to unfreeze the lock cylinder. Much nicer to have a fob work while the car is running and locked.
Old 2/7/07, 02:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I can attest to the fact that the transponder is not directional. I have on several occasions wanted to leave my car running but was not inclined to leave the PATS key in the car. I have a standard key that I got cut at a hardware store. I simply set the PATS key against the other key and start the car. Works great. Then I lock it with the remote.

Someone could smash the window and drive off, but chances are they'll stall it (I have stick) and it won't restart.

If you use another key to lock it, the car will not unlock itself when running.

Quick Reply: Ford Mustang Fusion Key!