2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Between Rock and Hard Place?

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/05, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford announced yesterday that they have sold 33,000 Mustang coupes with another 12,000 cars on order (including convertibles.) I read somewhere that full capacity for the production line is 1,000 cars per day. Since they've been building them for several months now, it's clear that they're nowhere near full capacity. Glitches on new models don't just impact the end buyers, they impact Ford, too.

On the one hand, Ford needs to correct the problems that are being reported with the cars that are already in customers' hands, and continuing to manufacture cars with known problems at full speed doesn't seem particularly wise. On the other hand, if they don't keep cranking them out, the backorder list just keeps getting longer and longer. Plus, the faulty parts are already in the pipeline, and for instance, if only 55% of the Shaker radios are defective (as indicated in an allfordmustangs.com poll), then it may be better to install them and deal with it later than to shut down the line. Ditto the shock tower bearings, the squealing brakes, etc.

That's a super-tough multivariable problem and I'm glad it's their problem and not mine. Finding the optimal solution can't be easy even for the best industrial engineers around. When NASA has a problem with the shuttle, they just shut everything down and fix it. Ford can't afford to do that. Kinda makes me wish I had the Tylenol distributorship for Michigan.
Old 2/15/05, 06:26 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i think Ford has sold allot more than that i know that they have produced more then double the figures you have posted . and you say that there is issues with the cars , yes there is but there not major , and its the same with all manufactureres , doesn't matter if its a first yr car or a car thats been produced for years ,
Old 2/15/05, 06:27 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Arrow

I have no doubt its more than that....
The whole post is based on heresay, speculation.

Do people have problems?
Yes, all new cars have them. heck even 03/04 mustangs had problems.
This is all new, its not imune.
Its been a LOT smoother of a launch than past cars for ford, thats for sure.

We've had a rehash of these 'problem' 'chicken little the sky is falling' threads.

Locking.