2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Fluid Change for a 3100 mile Pony

Old 4/29/18, 02:04 PM
V6 Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Fluid Change for a 3100 mile Pony

I have neglected my Pony (well not really), have 3100 miles on my 2007 CS/GT. Only service done is annual oil change and inspection. Car sits in garage and driven a little in Summer etc...

Question- I am considering changing all fluids (break, tranny, rear diff, antifreeze etc..)

Probably bring to Ford since I have no time and don't want a mess or headache. Reasonable price for all and any harm waiting a bit? concerned about fluid breakdown etc... Don't laugh at mileage- but its true.
thanks in advance - David
The following users liked this post:
Buckshot Barry (5/1/18)
Old 4/29/18, 03:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I ain't laughing. I'm mourning the poor pony's disuse. Thing needs to be driven more than 310 miles a year. What're ya afraid of anyway? It won't eat anyone at a cars and coffee... well, maybe it will, being kept in the garage, I'm sure she's hungry by now...

Get that thing out and about!

But besides my passion for Mustangs not being garage queens, really no point in asking pricing here, you just need to call/visit a Ford service place and ask. But if you figure at least $100 per, if not $200, then you're talking somewhere about $500 to $1000 to do all the things(tm). I'm sure some will be more, but some will be less, and the average will work out something like that, I'd bet. But only one way to be sure... take the emaciated pony outta the garage and get it done.
Old 4/29/18, 05:22 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Red face Gee, and I thought I was bad

I have less than 17K on my 2006.
Do you keep it in a heated garage?
Old 4/30/18, 06:07 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by karman
I have less than 17K on my 2006.
Do you keep it in a heated garage?
No not heated.... always on the battery charger.....

Houtex- thanks for the advice, I probably will just have them change everything and be good another 7-10 year LOL.. Reason it has low miles- I have two other cars, and its a weekend car- well not really like a once a year car... I am on Long Island, its 50 today but expected top hit 85 in a few days a major early heat wave so good day for a bath.
Buckshot Barry (5/1/18)
Old 5/1/18, 11:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
My '06 was already 11 years old when I bought it with 89K miles. Since it was past 10 years old I changed everything. It's cheap insurance, and since yours is your "Garage Queen baby" I know you want to take care of it.

BTW, if you need someone to help you keep the battery charged there's many of use here that would be willing to help. We're just that kind of folks.
Old 5/1/18, 01:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Following. I'm am 868 miles and worry about my 11 year old fluids.
Old 5/1/18, 04:13 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Buckshot Barry
Following. I'm am 868 miles and worry about my 11 year old fluids.
holy moly I thought I had the lowest miles? 800??? wow, so we are in same boat. I will post after I have all the services done- my inspection is May but i am already out of sync with regi (December) so I probably will get car in shop sometime in June. Good luck
Buckshot Barry (5/1/18)
Old 5/1/18, 07:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DPDIAMOND44P
holy moly I thought I had the lowest miles? 800??? wow, so we are in same boat. I will post after I have all the services done- my inspection is May but i am already out of sync with regi (December) so I probably will get car in shop sometime in June. Good luck
Yes, same boat. I've only changed the engine oil.
Old 5/1/18, 08:54 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,580 Posts
David, some folks get mislead by thinking that fluids don't need to be changed if they have low miles from not being used often. This, unfortunately just isn't true. Like anything, all fluids break down from condensation and age. Being as your 07 GT/CS is an 11-year-old car? I would highly recommend changing all fluids as in your anti-freeze, brake fluid, tranny fluid and power steering fluids, as often as your owners manual recommends. Anyway, just my opinion.

-Rocky
The following 3 users liked this post by m05fastbackGT:
DPDIAMOND44P (5/16/18), NC14GT (5/4/18), wanted33 (5/2/18)
Old 5/4/18, 08:55 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
^^^ I certainly agree, especially the brake fluid. I recently bought an '09 C6 in December which had 5,000 miles on it. I had the brake fluid tested and there was condensation in there. I had it flushed out and they charged me $69.95 which seemed quite fair for taking off all 4 wheels and bleeding all the old fluid out. The Dexcool coolant in there tested fine, was the right color too, so I'm going to let it go awhile. The running temps are perfect. The coolant in our Mustangs is probably similar so that is up to you. They can test it for you to make sure. If you continue to let the car sit that might be all you need to do instead of flushing it out. These systems are pretty tight but if you have temperature extremes in your garage, you are probably getting condensation in everything and need to change it all out.
We sure enjoy our GT/CS 'vert and mostly take it on vacations all across the US. We are up to 48,000 miles now, almost all highway.
Old 10/17/18, 02:49 PM
V6 Member

Ok so I finally had all the fluids changed, in addition to the passenger airbag recall. Including NYS inspection, it was just over $1000.
Now I have piece of mind. Now its also time for some mods- I have the bug and waited way to long. Looking at possibly supercharger,
headers, suspension mods, cold air, tune and more. Need to carefully plan this out over next few months and then get it done in the spring.
I will post pics when completed.

David
Buckshot Barry (10/18/18)
Old 10/17/18, 08:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a few more miles then you guys. 2007 GT premium vert just turned over 46,000. I was going to have everything check at 50,000.
Old 10/21/18, 08:16 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by DPDIAMOND44P
Ok so I finally had all the fluids changed, in addition to the passenger airbag recall. Including NYS inspection, it was just over $1000.
Now I have piece of mind. Now its also time for some mods- I have the bug and waited way to long. Looking at possibly supercharger,
headers, suspension mods, cold air, tune and more. Need to carefully plan this out over next few months and then get it done in the spring.
I will post pics when completed.

David
Nice , even though a little pricey (unless the NYS inspection is the culprit). You are all set to go next Spring. It's a 'new' car again.
Old 11/3/19, 01:59 PM
V6 Member

Yes thanks- now I have another issue- My tires. They are now going on 13 years old- only 3400 miles and car continues to sit in garage.
4 new tires will be probably around $ 1000. I know its time.
Old 11/27/19, 06:41 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
just stumbled on here, getting to thinking time to change mine too... the 2009 still has never been driven 5.3 miles on it...I change the oil annually fully warm it up every few weeks, move it enough to get oil around the diff and transmission gears(had 3.2 miles when dropped off here), cycle the ac, steer lock to lock, etc... aside from surely dry rotted tires its weathered pretty well. of course the hood started blistering at 4 years old(car has only been wet twice that I know of, when I washed it- stays under a shelby cover a good friend gave me, so aside from cobwebs underneath, its like the day it arrived) picked the looe blisters from underhood, acid washed and sealed with clear automotive 'goop', and 6 yrs later its still stopped...

know its a waste of a car, but i dont miss it- my 06 is the same car, and I drive it all summer... odd going on 11 years old, now kinda dont even want to drive it- its probably the only undriven plain old 05-09 GT left...sure theres probably 1000 undriven shelbys out there, but what kind of idiot would squirrel away a basic GT LOL...my 'dream' car was the basic GT/stick, still love the 06 as much as the first time I drove it...Ford really did a great job on these.
its kinda a time capsule now, maybe deserving a little spot in a museum somewhere? weird, never intended it to be a investment, nor a Ferris Buehler's dad's car, but years flew by, and my 'backup' for the 06 would almost be a shame to turn into just another car now... the 06 has been nothing but reliable, it will likely outlast me

the fluid issue is a real one, brake fluid would be my biggest concern. along with motor oil from condensation drawn in during cooldown...as the brakes have never been hot ever, doubt they would draw moisture from normal heat cycling/breathing from that- but the cap isnt airtight, and certainly the fluid's affinity for moisture has contaminated it. tranny/rearend I'm not really worried about, gas tank has never had more than 1/2 gallon added a couple times a year- knew filling would go stagnant, and it burns near a gallon a year, so it gets a little hitest with sta-bil when it gets close to E...

anyway, thats the story of what may be the most useless S197 to date... but maybe someday in a museum it will just be a neat thing to see what once was available...still looks-wise, my second favorite mustang styling, and being a 09, one of the few of the few sold as a basic 'deluxe' (no option) GTs, that shortest model year...

nothing is immune to time, but so far its effects have been pretty well minimized...

I changed all the other cars over to DOT 5.1 a couple years ago, anyone unaware of 5.1, might want to read up on it- its not DOT5 compatible nor silicone with all its corrosion issues, but has near dot5 temperature qualities... the 09 should probably be flushed and changed too. when it was flatbedded home Id planned in squirreling it away, ospho'd the brake surfaces, wd40'd all the bare aluminum, motor kinda yellowed as the wd40 burned off, but the white corrosion never set in...
Old 4/17/20, 08:34 AM
V6 Member

wow.. I thought I was bad, that is incredible. With the winter and Covid 19 issue here on Long Island raging, my poor mustang sits in the garage. I missed my inspection again, and this poor car just sits. I do start it up every now and again, and will take it out as the weather gets warmer. I only have 3500 miles, and it will be 14 years old in December. I can't believe 14 years have gone by--- my son (now 18) is eyeing this car and at some point he will drive it. Not until he is 30 though!
The following 2 users liked this post by DPDIAMOND44P:
m05fastbackGT (4/18/20), shaneyusa (4/19/20)