2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

First two weeks - 1000 miles!

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/07 | 07:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

First two weeks - 1000 miles!

I picked up my new GT two weeks ago tonight. When I drove into the parking lot this morning, my odo read 999.

(I guess technically it's now fully "broken in". )

Looks like I'm going to be racking up the miles on this puppy. Except for some concerns I have about long-term realiability (25,000+ miles a year), it makes a great freeway commuter. So far, I've been getting a bit over 20 mpg. And anyone with a GT knows about its great freeway "merging" capability.

I'm curious...does anyone else put over 500 miles a week on their Mustang?
Old 3/6/07 | 08:31 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by davisinla
Congrats on the new purchase! I have been averaging over 500 miles a week myself although most of that have been long trips. My wife and I have found that the car is quite comfortable to drive long distances, one day we drove for over 14 hours with very minimal breaks.
I don't think you will find much problem with longevity with this car as long as you hit the recommended service intervals. I would recommend changing the tranny fluid early and often on both the auto and the stick. I won't hurt it to change it early but not changing these fluids often can be a big killer for the tranny. Highway driving is actually easier on the car than a lot of short trip driving; you don't use the brakes as much and the engine and drive train get up to temperature for a long enough time to clear things like condensation from them. Plus the engine and drive train are operating at a good rpm that doesn't need a lot of power to work like stopping and starting.
Good luck and enjoy!
John
Old 3/6/07 | 08:37 AM
GT Member

I picked up my new GT two weeks ago tonight. When I drove into the parking lot this morning, my odo read 999.

(I guess technically it's now fully "broken in". )

Looks like I'm going to be racking up the miles on this puppy. Except for some concerns I have about long-term realiability (25,000+ miles a year), it makes a great freeway commuter. So far, I've been getting a bit over 20 mpg. And anyone with a GT knows about its great freeway "merging" capability.

160 mi./round-trip a day, 5 days a week.
And I can vouch for this car's most excellent 'merging' abilities.
Old 3/6/07 | 08:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks John. My wife and I are also plannning some trips in it. The smartest thing I did was ordering the power passenger seat so she could see over the dash (she's short) so she's very comfortable in it. These cars just purr on the freeway!

LOL - read your sig. My first mod will be Supreme GTAs...on order!

Happy motoring,

Paul
Old 3/6/07 | 08:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MrMojo1953
160 mi./round-trip a day, 5 days a week.
Are you near the 101? I heard law enforcement is quite "visible" up there.

(Hey, you just made it to "GT Memeber"! Congrats.)
Old 3/6/07 | 09:23 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Wow... I just hit 1,000 miles, AND I've had the Stang for over 6 months...
Old 3/6/07 | 09:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
(Black/black/black - sweet! )

You're spending WAY too much time on-line! (Or watching snow!)

Actually, I've got several other very low mileage toy cars - but the Mustang is WAY too much fun not to use every day!
Old 3/6/07 | 01:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Yeah, I am at 850 miles and 5 months! Of course, I wish I drove it more. Nothing like only one drive every 2-3 weeks to depress you. haha
Old 3/6/07 | 01:37 PM
Cobra Member

No doubt, 12,500 miles and the car still makes me smile when I step on the gas pedal!

LOL - read your sig. My first mod will be Supreme GTAs...on order!
I love mine, they deepen nicely with time and don't drone in the car at all!

Originally Posted by shatter
Yeah, I am at 850 miles and 5 months! Of course, I wish I drove it more. Nothing like only one drive every 2-3 weeks to depress you. haha
Man, I'd be going thru withdrawls with that little driving. Glad I live in the sunny south!
Old 3/7/07 | 08:46 AM
GT Member

Are you near the 101? I heard law enforcement is quite "visible" up there.

(Hey, you just made it to "GT Memeber"! Congrats.)
For an extreme commuter I've got an awesome 40 mile stretch of fast, sweeping rollercoaster-ish HWY 152, Pacheco Pass, which drops me onto Hwy 101 in Gilroy, and north to San Jose. As far as the CHP goes I see them almost daily, but when they pull alongside they tend to to give me an approving nod. I generally do most of my run cruise-controlled at 72 mph... except for the occasional quick blast through the mountain pass, and those tempting freeway on-ramps.

Hey, thanks for the heads up on the GT Member... I like it. Has a nice ring to it.
Old 3/7/07 | 12:46 PM
GT Member

I got mine on V-day and i have 950 ish miles on it already. Bunch of mods got ordered this morning also!
Old 3/7/07 | 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

It is an easy car to put miles on. I had 1k after 3 days, we drove that thing everywhere; pregnant wife, 2 year old daughter, and my sis-in-law. I was putting 500/week on it when I was taking night classes. Glad those days are over for at least a while. 2 years 4 months old and 42k miles on it.

All that and just last weekend a guy drove by after I parked at a restaraunt and told me he had to stop and admire it. I'm not sure I'll ever stop loving this thing. It's just too much fun and the kids love it too.

I go home for lunch most days and as I'm leaving my daughter wil start yelling "Waste gas daddy!" wanting me to rev it. Bringing her up right
Old 3/7/07 | 09:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Radman
I go home for lunch most days and as I'm leaving my daughter wil start yelling "Waste gas daddy!" wanting me to rev it. Bringing her up right
"Waste gas daddy!"
Made me laugh.
Old 3/7/07 | 09:42 PM
Cobra R Member

there shouldn't be any long term issues that engine should and i say should last till around 200k if not beaten on and taken care of with oil changes when due, change air filter etc, a little good maintanence goes a long long way literally
Old 3/8/07 | 06:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

"Waste gas daddy!"
Made me laugh.
Yeah, I think she overheard a comment my wife made some time when I was revving it and started repeating it. My wife looked a little sheepish the first time my daughter said that as I was on my way out. Kids repeat the darndest things, usually at the most inopportune time .
Old 3/9/07 | 07:42 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Radman
Yeah, I think she overheard a comment my wife made some time when I was revving it and started repeating it. My wife looked a little sheepish the first time my daughter said that as I was on my way out. Kids repeat the darndest things, usually at the most inopportune time .
Out of the mouths of babes...