2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

First Pics: Tint. Powdercoated Wheels and Kenwood

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/04, 12:13 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tom: you're not the first to say so. The ultimate plan is to go to 19 or 20" black wheels with a polished lip, the powdercoating is just holding me over til then

eric: glad i could help

a word of caution to everyone. I frequently purchase from ebay, but be advised that if you purchase this system (or any major electronics) from a seller who isn't an authorized online retailer of the manf, the manf will NOT honor your warranty. That said, at $1500, you could have one fail and buy a replacement for what I paid . Then again, my dealer is covering it with my extended warranty, and the purchase was financed with the rest of the car
Old 11/24/04, 04:20 AM
GT Member

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Old 11/24/04, 05:12 AM
MIL

Man that Kenwood looks nice.. I just bought the same unit from ebay for $1600...
Old 11/24/04, 05:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by MIL@November 24, 2004, 6:15 AM
Man that Kenwood looks nice.. I just bought the same unit from ebay for $1600...
Let me know how your Ebay purchase works out. I am thinking about heading that route as well.
Old 11/24/04, 06:10 AM
Bullitt Member

I was thinking of going the kenwood navi route, but im still not sure how it will affect the overall look of the cabin. Does it look out of place at all? I am partial to sticking with stock systems simply because aftermarkets have a tendency to ruin the continuity of the interior.

If possible, coul we get better (clearer) pics? Like maybe one coming in through the back window and then another coming in through the door (with the doors open of course).

Thanks!!!
Old 11/24/04, 07:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by sqweak@November 24, 2004, 1:16 AM
tom: you're not the first to say so. The ultimate plan is to go to 19 or 20" black wheels with a polished lip, the powdercoating is just holding me over til then

a word of caution to everyone. I frequently purchase from ebay, but be advised that if you purchase this system (or any major electronics) from a seller who isn't an authorized online retailer of the manf, the manf will NOT honor your warranty. That said, at $1500, you could have one fail and buy a replacement for what I paid . Then again, my dealer is covering it with my extended warranty, and the purchase was financed with the rest of the car
i have had items that were not purchased from an authorized retailer, and still the manufacturer covered the warranty. I even printed my own fake receipt when I needed a repair on my digital camera and I couldn't find my real receipt.
Old 11/24/04, 11:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by ace0215+November 24, 2004, 8:08 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ace0215 @ November 24, 2004, 8:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sqweak@November 24, 2004, 1:16 AM

i have had items that were not purchased from an authorized retailer, and still the manufacturer covered the warranty. I even printed my own fake receipt when I needed a repair on my digital camera and I couldn't find my real receipt. [/b][/quote]
Glad that worked out for you!
Old 11/24/04, 01:44 PM
GT Member

bobby, it looks *PERFECT*. It does not detract at all. The buttons light up green and match the info/setup/reset/etc buttons spot on. I'm working on more pics (would you believe a career geek doesn't own a digicam? the stang has moved that to the top of the list though ).

I've had mustang fans, non car people, and ford salesman alike shocked to find out it's not OEM. That's how well it fits into the car.
Old 11/24/04, 02:22 PM
GT Member

Wow, that's really nice. What's the main purpose that you'll be using it for? Mostly for navigation or playing CDs/DVDs? What did you do for your Ipod, run a cable to the center console so you can just plug it in and make your own playlists? That's really great though made me start thinking of going your route.
Old 11/24/04, 02:44 PM
GT Member

I live in LA, and road trip to vegas and SF frequently. I wanted something that did nav (as I'm still learning my way around parts of LA), accepted aux in (for the ipod), and had plenty of options for sound. I also wanted it to look clean and well integrated. To be honest, the DVD playback was a bonus, but i've been putting it to use with music dvds. The unit can be switched to NAV or control input and still play DVD audio, which works well for concert dvds.

The ipod is hooked up via an aux input plugged into a changer port. this gives you RCA inputs, from there its a mini-stereo (aka headphone) to rca cable thats routed to the center glovebox/console. The idea is so the ipod can be plugged into the cable, and hooked up to the lighter port in there for power.
Old 11/24/04, 03:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Tight work, I dont buy consumer electronics in stores anymore at all...Ebay is the way to go! Just be sure and read the seller's feedback.
Old 11/24/04, 03:25 PM
GT Member

i agree matt. unfortunately, a sellers feedback isn't gonna help you if something goes wrong with the unit and the Manufacturer refuses warranty. It's a gamble, but most times everything is fine and the savings are well worth it
Old 11/24/04, 04:28 PM
GT Member

I live in LA, and road trip to vegas and SF frequently. I wanted something that did nav (as I'm still learning my way around parts of LA), accepted aux in (for the ipod), and had plenty of options for sound. I also wanted it to look clean and well integrated. To be honest, the DVD playback was a bonus, but i've been putting it to use with music dvds. The unit can be switched to NAV or control input and still play DVD audio, which works well for concert dvds.
I was wondering what one does with DVD in the front console. Since the Nav is an additional module, what is the thought behind a DVD head unit?

Your install is the closest thing to factory install we have seen; but I feel a bit strange getting a dvd unit. Maybe, you run Gone in 60 seconds on a constant loop while driving, for inspiration?
Old 11/24/04, 04:58 PM
GT Member

you misunderstand. The *computer* for nav is a seperate module from the headunit. The headunit is a touchscreen display and controller in order to use the hideaway nav computer. The dvd functions are simply extra features of the Headunit. It also reads CD, CDR, CDRW, MP3, WMA, controls sirius, and optionally a changer.

It's an all in one package, as opposed to most others on the market where you purchase displays, recievers, and video sources seprately.
Old 11/24/04, 05:01 PM
Cobra Member

We're gonna have to take a drive down Mulholland.

Of course, I don't have powdered wheels....
Old 11/24/04, 05:47 PM
rex
Mach 1 Member

Thumbs up

Corey...can the aux button on the Shaker system you pulled support an Ipod??? I want to keep the basic Shaker 500 system but wire the Ipod so it's direct and not thru one of those FM receiver gizmos...thanks...Rex
Old 11/24/04, 06:12 PM
GT Member

rex: i'm not sure, the dealer still has mine, I'll take a look when I get it back and see what I can figure out.
Old 11/24/04, 07:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Man, you guys are throwin around a couple of grand on fancy pictures and sound, and I'm strugglin to get $150 Edelbrock intake for my 66!

Ah well, I'd rather listen to my flows and tri-ys...
Old 11/24/04, 07:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

nice Kenwood-need a brighter pic to get a impression of the wheels
Old 11/24/04, 07:35 PM
Cobra Member

Definately brighter pic.

Quick Reply: First Pics: Tint. Powdercoated Wheels and Kenwood