Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Financing assistance

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/04, 05:20 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Now some of you might look at the title and think I'm some spoiled brat little kid....hardly! I'm a grown responsible 38yo. My Mom said this to me today and I'm considering her offer.

"If you had the money to put down on your Mustang would you sell your Truck?"

I said no ...probably not, having a truck around is mighty handy. Then she said "well what if I give you 10k and you keep your truck".

There is no real catch, she did say that if I ever do sell the truck, she'd want half the money, I said if we do this, I'll give you all the money from the sale of the truck. It's just a 2000 Nissan Frontier, If I was lucky I'd get about 8k from a private sale TODAY. If I keep this thing awhile it'll just keep depreciating and won't nearly cover the 10k she's willing to front me, so I feel giving her all of it in the event I sell it is the least I could do.

I left it with her like this:

"I appreciate the offer.....BUT I don't know if I want to let you do that."

I'm going to let her know by Wednesday.

This is a really cool gesture on her part, but part of me says that I shouldn't do it, and such generosity should be reserved for such a time that I would really need it. This is hardly something out of neccesity!

I dunno, it's tempting....I've turned down other offers of assistance from my parents over the years, maybe it's time I accept a gift horse?

Part of this generosity might come from the fact the previous Mustang in the family was our 66' GT Fastback. That car was her daily driver for years and she loved it. She is genuinely excited about me getting this one, once she saw what they looked like.

Another part of it might very well be because it will keep the memory of my father alive. He unfortuneately didn't live to see the day his Mustang came back to roost, he passed away 2 years ago.

What do you all think?
Old 9/26/04, 05:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well being that your the age you are she obviously doesn't need to teach you any responsibility about money. She obiously loves you. This is the way I look at it. I have been in similar situations. It is a little discomforting taking that amount of money from a loved one. The thing you have to think about is that she must want to do it very much or she wouldn't have made the offer. If it's a gift then except is as a gift. Don't pay it back. If it's a loan. Pay back with interest. Having turned down a few over the years and having accepted a few over the years, I would go for it. It will make all three of you very happy.
Good luck
Old 9/26/04, 06:38 PM
Queen Of Nascar

I also say go for it. Sometimes parents would rather spend the money and see you happy while they are still living rather than leave it in inheritance. Just be sure and give her a big hug. Good Luck with your decision.
Old 9/26/04, 07:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Donna@September 26, 2004, 6:41 PM
I also say go for it. Sometimes parents would rather spend the money and see you happy while they are still living rather than leave it in inheritance. Just be sure and give her a big hug. Good Luck with your decision.
I agree with the others. Sometimes it is hard to accept a generous gift, knowing how is a gift in itself. I bet your Mom would love a ride in your new car, and I bet she might even like to borrow it from time to time, perhaps it would bring back some great memories of good times with your Dad. Enjoy
Old 9/26/04, 07:47 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by os121@September 26, 2004, 7:34 PM
I bet she might even like to borrow it from time to time, perhaps it would bring back some great memories of good times with your Dad. Enjoy
I like that idea! I think I'm going to go for it....thanks everybody, I appreciate the perspective
Old 9/26/04, 08:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just don't know?
Old 9/26/04, 11:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Like my dad once told me...why leave money for someone after you pass away. Seeing the joy on that persons face is priceless. He said this as he gave both my sister and I some money a while back. He's still alive today and swears he will continue to do little things like this. Sounds like you're mom is an awesome,caring person who loves her son a lot. I'm 36 and know where you're coming from.
Old 9/26/04, 11:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Take the money and when she gets 60, 70, instead of putting her in a home, let her a. stay in your home or b. get a private at home nurse for her so that way you can make it up to her later on in her life.
Old 9/27/04, 01:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by StevenJ@September 26, 2004, 11:57 PM
Take the money and when she gets 60, 70, instead of putting her in a home, let her a. stay in your home or b. get a private at home nurse for her so that way you can make it up to her later on in her life.
60 or 70 ,kinda young for home dont ya think?

Anyways back to topic at hand.

1.your 36 and you need mom to help you buy a car?
2.can your mom afford the 10k to lend you?

i personally would say thanks mom,but ill pass on the offer,instead ill work overtime to raise the funds myself,and also sell my truck...theres just something extra nice about a car you earn yourself...
Old 9/27/04, 07:50 AM
FR500 Member

60 or 70.....well she's there already, and no homes needed for her.

Nice try at getting my dander up Tom, but no I don't NEED Mom to do anything. That 10k doesn't even dip into her "nestegg". Beleive me if it did, I wouldn't even consider it.