2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

FINALLY

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/06, 03:21 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At long last I am happy to say we finally have our new Pony. We put over 100 miles on her the first 2 nights we had her driving up and down the Pacific Coast Highway [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eclipsee_steering.gif[/img]. Here is my long-winded review with picture links. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]

First Impressions – I got the call from the LA dealer around noon on 2/15. My co-worker drove me to the dealer. As we approached I craned my neck to look for the tell-tale roof line of a vert in amongst all the coupes. I caught a glimpse of a Tungsten with a black soft-top – BINGO! We parked and I jumped out and went over to check it out. My first impression was – “She’s Perfect!” I gave her a once over and opened the door to check out the inside. After a quick conversation with the LA dealer, she passed me the keys and owners manuals, and it was done.

Everything everyone always says is true – I do like this car more and more every day and sometimes I find myself just looking at it after it’s parked. Here are my thoughts on the car in detail.

Interior- The interior is dark charcoal with the silver IUP.

* Vert - This is my first convertible. I’ve driven in several friends’ (one Seabring , BMW 3 Series and several Mercedes). I know people say verts are susceptible to rattles and noise, but I’ve experienced none of that with this car. The convertible top operation is flawless, and I was shocked at how little wind there is in the front cabin at speeds of 45 mph and lower. With the top up, this car has roughly the same level of cabin noise as my 03 Focus. The only exception to that is the drone of the exhaust [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] and any tune I happen to be bumpin at that moment [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] .
* Stereo (Shaker 1000)- I’ve heard mixed reviews of the 1000 from people on this forum. I think people fall roughly in one of two camps: serious audiophiles who are accustomed to installing their own HU and accompanying speakers and people like myself who, while they enjoy a good sound system, are not as adept at working with their cars. My other rationale for spending the extra money was that since this is a vert and ****** and grab break-ins where bad guys rip out aftermarket stereos are not uncommon, it might be a good thing to keep the interior looking as stock as possible. I had a special CD burned and ready to go for her maiden voyage. I popped it in, and the system worked flawlessly – none of the skipping issues that I’ve read so much about thank god! I recently had the P.I.E. adaptor professionally installed so now I have my entire music collection with me on my daily commute. The adaptor feeds into the center consol so I can either have my Ipod out sitting in the cup holder or simply stash it in the center storage consol with no wires visible to prying eyes. Speed volume and all other Shaker features still work so my adaptor must be one of the new ones. As for the sound, I think it’s great. Clarity is good-great, and bass response is exceptional. The system is powerful enough with the top up or down to more than do the job. I listen to a wide range of music from classic rock (Pink Floyd, Doors, Aerosmith) to modern rock (Foo Fighters and Incubus) and rap (Jay-Z, Kanye West), and this stereo handles it all equally well. Well I’m sure the 500 would be fine but I am glad I went with the 1000 for all of the aforementioned reasons. The only obvious drawback is the trunk space (or lack thereof) in the Vert with 1000. At this point, my wife and I are usually the only passengers, so the back seat is always available for cargo. I can see how it might be problematic if you try to do your grocery shopping with this car.
* Interior (Dark Charcoal/ Leather) I love the look of the DC interior. I think it will lend itself to keeping the interior nice looking for a long time. My last car had a light graphite interior which starts to show stains after a few years regardless of how careful you are. The leather adds a great touch to the cabin. My main gripe with the interior is the textured plastic on the dash (below the IUP). I just don’t like the overall look. The leather and IUP really dress things up and salvage the interior.
* IUP (Satin Silver) / My Color - The My Color is a cute function but completely unnecessary. I do like the silver IUP panels and gauge cluster. All in all, I am glad we went with this, but I probably could have done without in a pinch.
* Seating – The front seats are more than comfortable. I can’t imagine anyone having a hard time fitting in the cabin with the seats all the way back. As for the back seats I never want to know what it’s like sitting back there and I will leave it at that.

Exterior –

* Spoiler – I originally ordered the car (almost 6 months ago) with the spoiler delete option. My thinking was the vert looks better with clean lines and someday I might get a duck-tail. The car came with the spoiler, and my Michigan dealer immediately offered to pay to have the holes filled and the trunk-lid repainted. Both the salesman and my father (who was an engineer for Ford for much of his professional life) explained that painting an area like that is risky because the body-shop paint will always age differently than the factory paint. For that reason, I decided to keep the spoiler. It has begun to grow on me. The down side is that the spoiler eats into rear-window visibility. I am sure I will get used to it but I might get an aux convex mirror to help with the blind-spot.
* Paint (Tungsten) – This color is more amazing than I could have hoped. Sporty and aggressive without being in your face and loud. I couldn’t be happier with it. I’ve seen it in artificial lighting, direct sunlight and under overcast skies with none of the purple hues people were freaking out about on this forum. I was seriously considering switching, and now I am glad I didn’t.
* Wheels and Tires (18" Fan Blades) – These wheels and tires are the icing on the cake. I don’t have any love for the Bullitt type wheels so the Fan Blades were the obvious choice from the outset. Aggressive and tough yet refined these wheels have enough chrome to catch the eye but they are also understated enough to fit in with the rest of the car without drawing too much attention away from the overall look.
* Exhaust – I never understood the draw or importance of this part of the car. That all went away the moment I turned the key and all 8 cylinders roared to life. To this day, starting the car up is one of my favorite things to do. I don’t think I would ever go after-market with the exhaust but I totally get why people do it now. Love it!
* Vert Top – I think the line of the Vert top looks great. I am scared to think how bummed I am going to be the first time a bird lets loose on it. I have to do some serious research on the products I’ll need to keep it looking new.

Engine –

* Fuel Efficiency – This is going to be one of the main down-sides to this car. My driving is primarily stop-and-go city driving during the week and, per the on-board computer, I’ve been hovering around 15-19 MPG. I expected this so it will be fine. It’s just going to take some getting used to. When you consider this car is more than 2x as powerful as my old car (130 hp vs. 300 hp) I guess there has to be a downside.
* Power – How great is it to tap the accelerator, hear the roar and have your head snap back and hit the headrest!?!? Let me say again, I Love This Car! I can’t wait for a long road trip to let her stretch her legs. We’ve done a few shots down the Pacific Coast Highway and this car offers a driving experience unlike any other car I’ve ever driven.

Dealer Service – I ended up working with our family dealer in Michigan to hook up a Z plan sale and drop ship in LA. He found one dealer willing to accept the delivery and it happened to be a dealer that we bought from before. From the outset, it was clear the LA dealer had no interest in doing anything more than handing the car over to me. She offered to charge $100 less to let me handle the registration. My Michigan dealer said it would be a piece of cake. Turns out the DMV in CA is making me get a smog test for the new car. The only place that can smog the car at this point is the dealer (BECAUSE IT’S A NEW CAR AND NO ONE GETS A BRAND NEW CAR SMOGGED). The LA dealer instantly took the opportunity to make a little more money by telling me she would charge me $85. The Michigan dealer told me he would reimburse me but I can’t help but feel a little taken advantage of. I am never going back to that LA dealer after the smog on Friday.

Here are the pictures:

Rear View - Top Up

Front View - Top Up

Side View - Top Up

Angle - Top Up

Top Down Interior - City View

Top Down - Interior

Front End

Front End 2

Top Down Interior - From Back

Angle - Top Down

Angle - Top Down 2

Fan Blade Close-up

Head-On / Top Down

Head-On

Top Down / City (Los Angeles)

Top Down / Interior

Questions:
1) Do you fold the latches on the roof so they are in the closed position before letting the top go all the way down?
2) Does my top look like it is closing all the way? It seems to sit a little high but I am guessing that will settle down with time. (see "Angle - Top Down" picture above)

Thanks in advance for any responses. This forum really helped to keep me going through the 6 month wait. The Mods do an amazing job. Thank you for all of your hard work!!!!!
Old 2/21/06, 03:28 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I close my latches.

Try pushing down on the top if it doesn't seem like it's down all the way. Mine hasn't folded down all the way two or three times.

Great car!
Old 2/21/06, 03:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Congrats on such a beautiful car! Your write up was great.
Old 2/21/06, 03:33 PM
GT Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Good deal with your sweet ride.

I ordered RaggTopp convertible cleaner and conditioner. I too want my top to look as good as new for a long time. I will post a report on the product when I get it. (couple more days).

As for the top retracting all the way, I found that if you hold the button down the motor will stop when it reaches its limit. I was afraid to put strain on the motor, but it shuts off. You can lightly press down on the retracted top to get it down a little further. I wouldnt push hard at all to avoid stress on the components.

I have the boot cover and it looks sweet with it on. Very retro. Ford designed the top to be pretty high when retracted, just like the old school verts.

Very detailed report on your new ride. You will enjoy your car more and more everyday.

Andy
Old 2/21/06, 03:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Mike,

Beautiful Car.

Big favor.....any way to snap a picture of the trunk area?? I've never seen how much room the subs for the Shaker 1000 take up. Thanks.
Old 2/21/06, 03:44 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steevr @ February 21, 2006, 2:41 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Mike,

Beautiful Car.

Big favor.....any way to snap a picture of the trunk area?? I've never seen how much room the subs for the Shaker 1000 take up. Thanks.
[/b][/quote]

No problem -

I'll do it tonight when I get home.

Mike
Old 2/21/06, 04:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the car man nice [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Just curious who was the bad dealer in LA? Just want to avoid any pain if possible [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
Old 2/21/06, 04:37 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Imatk @ February 21, 2006, 3:33 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Congrats on the car man nice [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Just curious who was the bad dealer in LA? Just want to avoid any pain if possible [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I'm not sure if naming names is frowned upon on this site but take a look at the first picture linked above (rear View - Top Up) for a strong hint.
Old 2/21/06, 04:47 PM
Cobra Member

Congrats on the new ride! Your gas milage will get better also. Give it 1000-1500 miles to break in good and it will probably go up. I started out the same, now I'm up to around 20 around town and on trips I'm getting 27, I can't complain at all. Have fun with her!!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/21/06, 04:55 PM
V6 Member

Nice Mike... while I prefer the bullets and Dark IUP the combo you have chosen looks great... Well balanced. Congrats and enjoy!
John
Old 2/21/06, 05:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] Congrats !! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]

Beautiful car. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/21/06, 06:03 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks man got it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

BTW I don't know if your gas mileage will improve too much I'm sorry to say.

I've got about 2,500 miles on mine and I get anywhere from 15 to at most 15.5 MPG.

Ahh the joys of stop-and-go driving in Los Angeles.
Old 2/21/06, 06:20 PM
GTR Member

welcome to the Tungsten vert club [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Old 2/21/06, 07:20 PM
Cobra Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]

Congrats and let the mods begin.
Old 2/21/06, 07:22 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] ....now moving this over to the Order Status section
Old 2/21/06, 07:38 PM
Cobra Member

I don't close the latches. That top is definitely sitting high. Mine sits about even/little lower than the top of the back seat headrests.
Old 2/22/06, 07:17 AM
GT Member

Congrats on your new Vert!! Let the fun begin. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]

As for your top, I do think it should be retracting a little further. Here's a picture of mine from delivery day with the boot on, so you can see how low mine retracts.

[attachmentid=45669]
Old 2/22/06, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Beautiful car, Mike! I should get the call from my dealer today, and this makes me even more excited!

Nittanylion, what wheels are those? I wanted 18s but we ended up with 17s due to factory shortage and my husband promises to swap them pretty quickly. But if yours are 17s, I like them. I am either dumb, or I can't tell from the pics. Beautiful car. I'm excited about my red [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 2/22/06, 01:16 PM
GT Member

Stock 17's Susan.

Don't forget to post those pix! We're waiting.
Old 2/22/06, 01:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mike congrats on a beautiful looking car [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] !!! Now all I can offer in advice is to go and [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eclipsee_steering.gif[/img] her and have fun with it. That's what they are meant for. Way to go. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: FINALLY